Weber 48 IDA Kits in the UK - Prices OK?

This may be old news but Webcon is shortly selling fully calibrated 48 IDA carb kits, including inlet manifold, linkage and fuel rail for all Ford engine sizes (and others). For the 351W a quad 48 IDA set up is priced at £3215. I'm still waiting to hear if that includes VAT.

Carbs on their own are around £520 + VAT each

A 351W manifold on its own is priced at £625 (again, not sure if this includes VAT).

Do these prices appear OK?

The Webcon listing is similar to the Pierce Manifolds listing in the US.

Cheers

Rob
"Life begins at 40"

Attachments

• 25210-K9119.jpg
    25210-K9119.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 492

MWGT40

Supporter
Rob

They look great. When are they going to be available and do you know how much a complete set up is for the 302?

Martin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't know what conversion (UK to US) is today, or 351 prices, but a friend picked up a complete set (manifold and carbs) for a 302 with linkage and plumbing for $2500.00 US a one of the "Good Guys" car shows here in Calif. This was a "show price" but you seemed to be able to get this by calling them and saying you'd pick it up at the show for cash!!

don't know if this translates to UK (import duties/shipping or not).

cheers

dave harris

Ron Earp

Admin
These are typically around $2400-$2800 here in the US. I paid that for mine, so, you figure they are cheaper than a complete FI system in most cases. And the FI system doesn't include flames, backfires, and lots of smells! Not a bad price on average, maybe Malcolm can pick up a few sets when he is over in the US!

R

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
Where can you find them at that price? I am sure several people here, including me, would buy a weber setup as you describe for that price. I have not even found the parts, manifold+carbs+linkage, for that low price.
Let me know and I will make arrangements to send cash if necessary.
Keith

Hi Keith,

What Fran said! - Pierce is one. This place was another (wild V-8s) http://www.weber-carburetors.com/Weber/wildv8.asp There is one more that I know of, but will have to look up the name. (if you have a good guys hotrod show close to you at any time, they all typically have booths set up and the "show specials" can usually save at least Taxes and Delivery/shipping !

dave

Hi

I'm getting prices for all the main GT40 applications although they should be around £3,200. I'm told that this price excludes VAT, so another 17.5% makes it all sound pretty expensive when compared with prices "across the pond".

Cheers.

Rob
"Life begins at 40"

I beleive Dave is talking about me. I called Pierce and told them I can come to the show/fairgrounds (It is 2 minutes from my house). I paid $2500 cash for the whole thing (48IDF carbs and mainfold).

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You really have to watch that close. Carbs Unlimited only lists IDF carbs on their site. Earlier this year, I had (2) complete sets of 48 IDA's and (1) complete set of 48 IDF's. The IDA's flew off the shelf like hot cakes, while the IDF's were for sale for over a week before they sold. The IDA's are a lot more authenic, but the IDF's are a little more streetable.
Good luck with which ever you buy !!!
Brian

Andrew

Supporter
Chaps, has anyone any current feedback on who's the company to go to in the UK for a complete 48 setup - carbs, manifold, linkage, fuel lines etc...

Thanks

Hi Andrew ....... I'm curious what you intend fitting the IDA 48 carbs to. I hope it's not a new build as they won't meet emissions (for IVA) or an MOT.
If you know differently ..... please educate me.
PS. I'm not being a clever sod (I like many others love the look of the IDA's) but don't know how you would get them through a test.

Hi Andrew ....... I'm curious what you intend fitting the IDA 48 carbs to. I hope it's not a new build as they won't meet emissions (for IVA) or an MOT.
If you know differently ..... please educate me.
PS. I'm not being a clever sod (I like many others love the look of the IDA's) but don't know how you would get them through a test.

It’s easy with an older (pre 72 I think) block as visual smoke only.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Cars with Holley or Webers etc, can and do pass IVA. The important thing is the age of the block and the allowed emissions for that age. From the info below you can see why a pre 1975 block is a good idea. Note that the emissions recorded at the IVA will stay with the car forever and will have to be met at every MoT test.

IVA Emissions Years/Levels

Engine block date up to 31-7-1975 – no visible smoke

Engine block date 1-8-1975 to 31-7-1986 – no visible smoke and less than (or equal to) 4.5 CO and 1200 HC at normal rpm hot idle. HC can be tested at 2,000rpm if CO passes at idle.

Engine block date 1-8-1986 to 31-7-1995 – no visible smoke and less than (or equal to) 3.5 CO and 1200 HC at normal rpm hot idle. HC can be tested at 2,000rpm if CO passes at idle.

Engine block date 1-8-1995 on
With oil temp at 60deg C, No visible smoke and at fast idle (2,500 -3,000rpm) less than (or equal to)
0.3% CO and 200 HC, Lambda 0.97 to 1.03.
At idle CO should be less than (or equal to) 0.5%. Catalytic convertors and fuel injection is mandatory.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
From the above the date of the block is important so here is how to work out the date codes on the SBF. The date code can be found in raised letters on the ledge above the starter motor. It can be seen from below.

Ford small block codes

The Ford casting number always starts with the 'Decade' character. Ford started using this structure in the late 50's with the first letter being 'B' . In the 60's the letter changed to 'C' and 'D' for the 70's and so on. The Decade digit is always followed by the 'Year' number. The combination of Decade and Year indicate the actual model year the part was originally designed for.

First character (a letter)
B= 50's C= 60's D= 70's E= 80's

Second character (a number)
Year of decade
e.g. C9is 1969

Third character
Car model,
A – full size Ford, D – Falcon, Maverick, E – Truck, L – Lincoln ,M – Mercury, O – Fairlane, Torino, S – Thunderbird, Z – Mustang, W - Cougar

Fourth character
Engineered component
E = engine

Cheers
Mike

Back