What Kind of GT40 Have You Got?

What Kind of GT40 Do You Have?

• Total voters

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Funny you should mention that, Malcolm...at Grand Touring locally there is a Boxer undergoing a complete refit, which includes taking the car down to the chassis, etc. No question it is sturdy and well-made, but surprisingly crude by modern standards. Also fast as hell- this is a carbureted 512, a quick car by my standards anyway.
I am astonished at the number of bits (and decisions) involved in building a car. It is worse than a house. At least in a house, you pick out one doorknob and pretty much that is what they look like. The first time I opened the GT40 parts books (the repros of the original JW books) and looked at some of these drawings, I just about passed out. Like the rear suspension- all those little pieces. This is no walk in the park. It give me even more respect for constructors like RF who give you all the bits needed for the car; no wonder the instructions come on a CD ROM. Where else would they fit...

Since I am a newbie here I will try to be humble, but as far as the GT40 goes I looked at quite a few different "kits" ( I also hate that terminology), and what I saw was some really nice setups such as the ERA car, pricey but really nice, and from there down everything seemed to be almost a mix of unrelated bits and pieces. Cars from the UK using cortina and related chassis components, the GTD cars I think had a Merkur Scorpio rear hub and brakes etc. etc.. Having a good friend who had assembled 12 gtd cars at one time in the 80's I realized he had a bunch of stuff laying around, especially body parts.
The chassis was no problem, I have that completed, and updated the front and rear suspensions from the british components, almost everything was available except a rear decklid, this problem was solved when some friends in the vintage racing scene were in california and I got an excited phone call that there was a new rear decklid available, unpainted, and it turned out to be a piece from the uk, super flared wheel wells and all of the brake and oil/gearbox cooling ducts....I looks very accurate to the Gulf rear decklid, but I can't claim it actually is. Well the project is progressing, and I have my new pieces to fit up to the chassis, so I guess the answer to the question "What kind of GT40 do I have" would be scratch built...which is really what most are it seems...I don't think I have seen any two really identical.

Ron Earp

Admin
Many are identical. ERA offers complete packages to build, as do Roaring Forties, Tornado, and DRB. These are complete down to the last rivet - you don't find anything. CAV offered complete cars as rollers, you just provide the engine and gearbox. Older kits, like KVA, were a much less complete offering.

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
I think everybody missed the question(whatkind of GT40 have you got)and got lost in discussion about how to rearrange the question there are only three things to know 1,what brand 2,going registered 3,not going under construction.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Denis, welcome to the Forum ! I must have missed your previous posts, but it is great to see the "father of GT40's in Australia" on board. You must be thrilled to see how far things are going - do keep us all posted on your new Jag replica scene.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

I have a "running" CAV GT40 in blue with white stripe and white nose flare. ZF transmission and 392 engine. Side mirrors same blue ex 69 Shelby. Wheels are 17" with Yokohama ZR tires. Rides great and well worth the wait.

John Place

ERAGT2077 just about ready to go to paint; righthand drive, Gurney Eagle 331, roll cage, "1075 flares" etc.

Attachments

• 39630-ERAGT2077.jpg
    39630-ERAGT2077.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 333
Running GTD, 302 w/ alluminum heads, leather interior, other than that rather standard, but in the process of upgrading, building new engine w/ crossover headers, quick release steering wheel, and rear view camera for starters. Done in Essex Wire livery

Has anyone considered starting a world registery for replica GT40s such as ours? I think that would be a great sorce of information as well as a way to track the cars. All sorts of information could be listed such as engine type, transaxle, wheel type, tire sizes, fuel system, and of corse several pic's of each car from every angle. And then a brief history. The registery, when completed or at some point could be published in book form. Any thoughts?
Kenny J
CAV #66 underconstruction

Pat

Supporter
CAV MONO #4 a weekend driver with 1,400 miles
Engine Works 302 stroked to 347, Edlebrock 4BBL, Getrag 5 speed BFG Rubber
LeMans Blue soon to get white stripes.

Ron McCall

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
CAV MONO #4 a weekend driver with 1,400 miles
Engine Works 302 stroked to 347, Edlebrock 4BBL, Getrag 5 speed BFG Rubber