What Kind Of Replica Would You Build ?

I've always wanted a Lamborghini Miura replica - similar concept to the GT40 (and almost as impractical) and certainly a difficult build. Prova did the ZL Miura replica for a while - Lamberti in the UK said they offered one but they've disappeared to Italy. There was half a car on ebay earlier this year (no rear clip). Anyone know of any others?

prova3.jpg

Rob

A while back I spoke with LONESTAR, I think. They claimed that they were testing a new gt-40 of their design with a rotory 300 hp engine. It is supposed to only weigh 1,600 lbs. Does anyone else know anything about this? Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lonestar used to have their "new GT40" on their website.
Was VW chassis based as I recall. This is their 2nd
attempt at a GT40 replica. The 1st try was a "stretched" wheelbase car which fizzled out after the demo was made.

MikeD

Have you looked at the British “Ultima” kit? It has good aerodynamics and is a very good car in it’s own right. (McLaren supposedly used one as the chassis mule for the development work on the McLaren F1).

It would be a great starting point for a custom body if you wanted a different look but with a better, more modern suspension than a GT40.

Engine is smallblock Chevy so you could build as much power as the tires could possibly handle. (A large bore 400 built on a Brodix aluminum block would be spectacular).

Kevin

One of the new westfield XTR-2's, love the look, and am facinated by bike powered cars.....I think its the simple sequential shifting, sooo cool!

While it's only a pseudo-replica, how about the Diasio 962R?

Up to 350HP, Hewland 6spd sequential gearbox, only

1075lbs.......Sounds like fun to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Check it out at www.diasio.com

Attachments

• 27133-side2.jpg
    27133-side2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 326
SOmebody help me here. I saw "Victory by Design" on Speed Channel last night and there was this stunning Porsche road car based on the Porsche 962 racecar I think. There were only a few made. It was absolutely gorgeous. What was it?

Mark,

You must have seen a 962CR/LM. 8 of 13 originals remain. I'll let you guess what happened to the other five! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Jochen Dauer took a 962, prepared it as a street car for sale, and then took a modified version to LeMans in 1994, winning the overall crown. Not bad for a "street" car!
Dauer will still build one(962LM), using an existing 962, as long as they are available. All yours for somewhere near a cool million! He also does a hopped up Bugatti.Try www.962lm.com for details.

Bill

And have an engine bay like this?

Note the tread/writing on the tire. Specially made by Michelin for the 962LM.

I wonder how much they were apiece? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 27152-engine-j2.jpg
    27152-engine-j2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 305
Mark/Bill

I agree! The 962 is just awesome! I saw one at Watkins
and it was scary fast just sitting there!

Someone in the US does offer a replica of the 962.
Unfortunately I don't recall the website it was on.
He also had some original 962 parts for sale.
No prices were given...so I'm sure it was EXPENSIVE.

MikeD

Mike,

You must be thinking of (Derek Smith?) the guy from Canada.

He does have 962 parts, does build and sell 962s

occasionally, but does not build to order.

From what I've seen, he does build a helluva nice car!

Bill

It's odd that the 917 still gets all the press, and commands the big bucks, when the 956/962 had better racing success. 917s are usually $1million+, while 956/962s are $200K-500K? More macho looking, I guess.
If you get the opportunity to see a 962 in the flesh, you'll never forget it! They look like they are going 200+MPH, while standing still! Absolutely beautiful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If I could build any replica, I would do a Ferrari 250 GTO. Actually, a friend of mine IS doing one, using a 330 America donor car and an aluminum Allemano replica body. It is quite close to the original. The project has stalled a bit ($$$$??) but is well along and driveable. Mostly I think it needs paint and trim to be completed.
The other car I really admire is the SWB Berlinetta. Several of these were duplicated a few years back and sold as originals (one British peer went to prison over it, actually), but they were quite well done. If you were building one as a replica, you could put in a bigger engine and the 5spd gearbox and really have a rocket.
As for the Miura, they are still available at a cost that makes doing a replica beside the point, but not for long. They are starting to go up. They are higher maintenance even than a Ferrari, according to my friends that own them, and break a lot. But they do go fast, sound great, and look GOOD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If you get the opportunity to see a 962 in the flesh, you'll never forget it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can add to Bill's comment by saying: If you get the opportunity to ride in a 956/962 alongside a "proper" racing driver, at Spa, on slicks, in the rain, you'll never forget it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I managed to blag a ride a couple of years ago and, well, those cars are on another planet.

Charles

Howard Jones

Supporter
My Lotus idea was for a 1967 grand prix car. The old guys remember them, open wheels and narrow tires, no wings, and a 400hp DFV in the back. Now I know this project would not be for a first timmer and it would cost a LOT of money but if done right... man would it be the ulitmate track day car or what?

Fran, That rotory will fit in the back of a 914. I did all the mesurements years ago. It wouldn't be a lot lighter than the VW 4 banger after adding the coolent system but it will produce a lot more power. Torque isn't like a V8 or a V6 for that matter so most gearboxes will do fine with it. Maybe even a VW box, at least for a while. I think I would start with a Audi box like most of the 40's around here are using. The low 1st gear would be right at home with a low torque high RPM motor like the wankle.

Most of the engineering will center around the coolent system. If I remember right somebody makes a fiberglass front end that replaces the bumper and would be a place to cut a hole for a air inlet. Exaust air would exit via nostril(s) like a GT40 thur a fiberglass "hood". Water lines can be fun up the center consol like the real GT40's did it.

Cool mid engine project. Could be done for far less money that a GT40. Not to much bodywork, fairly simple engineering, and the gearbox problem is solved by using a known gearbox, Audi, The adapter plate is I believe already done. I just don't know by who. This car would be very fast if done correctly. Again I would start with a used e production roller race car. This way you get a stiff tube frame chassis and roll cage along with a sorted suspention. Maybe even a fiberglass front end you could work with.

Bill

Your're probaby right...US...Canada...pretty close.
I guess the 917 raced at a more "historic" time.
The chief competition for 962s seem to have been
other 962s.

Does anyone have the video of Derek Bell behind the
wheel of a 962 at various tracks? Looks intriguing,
but never got around to buying one.

MikeD

Mike,
Sent message, OOPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif forgot to check mine B4

Thanks in advance, Steve

Mike,

The video is called "In Car/956". Great footage of Derek Bell "hauling butt"
around all of the best road courses in Europe. Quite a rush, just watching the video!

Bill

Back