What Pressure Radiator Cap?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Car has been on the road for a number of years and goes well, but the core plugs weep and despite being changed a couple of times are still weeping.

So thinking, and I know I should not, I looked at my pressure cap and it is a Stant 21-25 lbs pressure. Is this to high, which in turn could be putting too much strain on the core plugs causing the leak?

So what pressure cap do you suggest, I have a few on order from Amazon and cand do trial and error but would rather not end up spewing coolant miles from home!

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,

Mick at Southern GT says that you should not need to go over a 15lb pressure cap on the radiator. I was loosing water once the engine was up to temperature, I thought I would get a stronger cap, but Mick said raise the header tank, and it did the trick. I also have reduced the amount of fluid in the header, water expands by about 4% so my 22 litres was increasing to almost 23, it was escaping as there was too much to contain.

Cheers,
Don.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Further to Dons reply above, I have fitted a water level sensor in my header tank, as I was having similar problems with water being pushed out of the overflow. I now only fill the tank till the warning light goes out and it is ok, unless I sit with it stationary for a long time. It can still push a pint out under those circumstances. Having a water level sensor connected to a warning light on the dash, is a very useful tool.
I did try a higher pressure cap, but it tends to blow the radiator apart!!

Back