What style exhaust?

Since my 917 is finished and just waiting on pickup I'm plotting what style of exhaust exit to do, since exhaust is one of the first orders of business in the spring.

The original 2 pipes at the bottom are a bit understated for my tastes, but I don't know what would look good versus ridiculous. Quad pipes at the bottom? Quad At the top? Centre exhaust? Something unique like centre merged pipes like a Zonda. Thoughts or suggestions? Bored photoshops are welcome to provide visuals, haha :D

porsche917---21.jpg

Two at the bottom....if its not broken dont fix it....

Can one fit 180* headers or would the packaging be too tight/cumbersome?

Not if you can do flames :shocked:

Anyway, you can't see the exhaust from the driving seat, so I wouldn't worry.

When the back is so open like in a 917 or SLC the exhaust can really make or break the look of the rear. Two pipes don't look bad, just a bit understated to me *shrug*

Maybe 2 rear-mount turbos instead, haha? =)

An understated 917.....hhmm....keep taking the meds Alex...

Not a snowballs chance in hell of making 180s fit in the 917 with a Chevy engine...

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know if "Understated" is a term I would use to describe anything on a 917, but it's your car....so it's your call!

Speaking of 917, I walked into a place yesterday and this was sitting in front of me on an engine stand:

Porsche flat 12.jpg

Totally rebuilt, to original specs, and probably better than new! I think I had a cardiac arrhythmia when I saw it!

I don't know if "Understated" is a term I would use to describe anything on a 917, but it's your car....so it's your call!

Speaking of 917, I walked into a place yesterday and this was sitting in front of me on an engine stand:

View attachment 69775

Totally rebuilt, to original specs, and probably better than new! I think I had a cardiac arrhythmia when I saw it!

What is this "place"? :)

Get a couple of old turbo's & hook them up to the current tailpipes, :idea:hook the inlet sides up to the seat squabs, could help with the pucker factor..:)

Last edited:

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
"What is this "place"?"

Sorry Alex, but I probably shouldn't divulge where I was. They seemed to get real uncomfortable when I took the quick photo. They are doing an engine for me so I was there to check some things out and to make some final decisions.

If you think about it, there is probably only about one engine building shop in this country that could accomplish this project. I understand that even Porsche in Germany did not feel comfortable with it: started it, then bailed on it. The shop has several more that they will be doing in the near future. I would imagine they are the engines that came out of hiding.

Something I learned: As you can see, there are two distributors, front and rear, with two plugs per cylinder. Strangely, the front distributor goes to the left-sided plugs, and the rear goes to the right-sided plugs. I would have thought they would be integrated, so that each cylinder gets a spark from both distributors, in case one goes down, they can limp back to the pits on very good power. Not the case, ???

There was only one alternator, but the opposite end of the engine had the mounting points and drive pulley for an identical one, which would seem necessary for endurance races(24 hours).

You are correct though Alex, compared to the engine, the exhaust (plugged in red) seems minuscule.

David,

I think they did the distributor setup like that because it gave more time for the coils to charge. It's difficult to have a high revving 12 cyl with a single coil and single distributor. At 8000rpm, which I believe is what these engines did, the time between ignition events gets pretty small. Dividing that over 2 coils and distributors helps out...

I thought it was done to have 2 systems, much like in an airplane? I may be wrong mind but would make sense, if having ign probs on one circuit, just flick a switch and use the other. A pic of the 16 pot when I was at the museum
4721843307_37e8b2ef39_z.jpg

Re exhaust, will it not sounds a bit "farty" at low engine rpm, people run Boxsters over here with straight pipes and they sound awful until the revs get up a bit and not much better then. But I guess it may be different with a V8? I plan to put a crossover system on mine when the time comes but that will be a flat 6.

I thought it was done to have 2 systems, much like in an airplane? I may be wrong mind but would make sense, if having ign probs on one circuit, just flick a switch and use the other. A pic of the 16 pot when I was at the museum
4721843307_37e8b2ef39_z.jpg

This does indeed look like 2 systems. And also looks like a job and a half to change plugs and wires on that thing..

Two at the bottom....if its not broken dont fix it....

This is very much my feeling as well. I am a guy who believes the simplest solution is the most beautiful solution. You could slap twin exits on each pipe if you wanted but I wouldn't even do that.

I am not super familiar with that setup but it looks like there might not be a whole lot of room for a different route. Meaning that if you do run them differently it might be a case where when the system is open it looks like you tried way to hard to be different and it winds up looking like a football bat...

This is very much my feeling as well. I am a guy who believes the simplest solution is the most beautiful solution. You could slap twin exits on each pipe if you wanted but I wouldn't even do that.

I am not super familiar with that setup but it looks like there might not be a whole lot of room for a different route. Meaning that if you do run them differently it might be a case where when the system is open it looks like you tried way to hard to be different and it winds up looking like a football bat...

Yea, that is one of my concerns - not having seen the packaging in person yet, I could very well be coming up with ideas whose implementation would look like, well, something only I could ever come up with (i.e., spaghetti mess o' crap) :laugh:

Oh well, nothing wrong with musing thoughts out loud, even if they get tossed in the trashcan at the end ..... just trying to prevent myself from going stir crazy as I wait another 3-4 weeks or so for the transportation company to show up on my doorstep....must...not....go...stir....crazy....in....meantime :dizzy:

There are some various pics here of the Rossi car I believe in various configs, a few different systems shown
917-Strasse

And I have seen on the video of the newly restored Hippie Car going round Spa, that had a rear silencer on it, a sort of cross box, not sure how the outlets were arranged.

regards Chris

There are some various pics here of the Rossi car I believe in various configs, a few different systems shown
917-Strasse

And I have seen on the video of the newly restored Hippie Car going round Spa, that had a rear silencer on it, a sort of cross box, not sure how the outlets were arranged.

regards Chris

I'm not too sure about the muffler concept (iz race car, does not need!) but i do like the concept that it functions as a street car, heh :thumbsup:

This is what you want. It'll keep you welding all winter. It'll give you somethign to do!

Attachments

• Porsche917_03_1200.jpg
    Porsche917_03_1200.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 748
This might be a bit simpler. Maybe lengthen them and aim upward 10-20 degrees?

Attachments

• 917.jpg
    917.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 553
Back