WHEN IT ALL GOES WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that didn't seem like a very good place to park such a fine automobile! I'd complain to the valet!

Your pal,
Meat.

Hi Dick,

Just out of curiousity, did this guy walk away, or was he carried away by ambulance?

Good to see that you're still alive and kicking!

Regards,

Bill

HI guys,
Hello Bill I am still alive and kicking, last year was pretty busy! new house had to build new garage for the gt40, new engine for the gt40 after a day out at goodwood, where we lost an oil cooler pipe. But best of all my partner Ellie gave birth to our son Charley on the 28th of December, so I owe you a cigar Bill!
RE the photos- the car is a gtd-40 I believe it was owned by a guy called graham Endersby we think he entered the anarge corner to fast coming the wrong way. The car went into the ditch turned over, the petrol caps flew open filling the upsidedown car with petrol which burst into flames. Graham was badly burned from the waist upwards the pasenger name unknown, got 80%burns and I believe died the following month.
best regards dick
confused.gif
confused.gif

That's why Monza type gas caps were banned in racing. One simple safety precaution is to zip-tie or safety wire the caps closed.

Hi Dick,

Sorry to hear of the outcome of that GTD and it's occupants!
However, I'm not sorry to hear that you are a proud papa, and at your age yet!
Congratulations, old man!

Bill

Hi Dick,

Quite amazing the pics of the 1996 Le Mans incident. The appearance of the car belies the severity of the accident.

In my reply to the posting, 'Does anyone still have one of those CAV built GTD cars by NASA racer - Pete F, I report on the strength and road holding qualities of the GTD/CAV space/tube frame chassis.

I mention Ray Christopher's claim that no had had ever been killed or seriously injured in one of these cars. This accident might appear to contradict his claim but it could be a case of comparing apples with onions.

My report specifically lays emphasis on the strength of the chassis and the fact thus far not one has buckled of folded up in an accident to cause death or serious injury.

The Le Mans accident was clearly a freak accident and if the fuel fillers hadn't popped open they driver and passenger might have walked away with only bruises and scratches.

What astounds me is that when a car catches fire as the result of an accident
It's either completely gutted or will clearly show severe blackened fire damage. When I saw your pics before reading the horror story I had the impression of tye red GT40 having spun off at Arnage and having clouted a tree and only losing the front section and a left door, ie a minor accident.

I would say that the very limited visual damage to the car, including the intact red paintwork, bears testimony to the sheer strength and excellent engineering of the of the GTD 40.

Sadly danger is ever present in the cars and sport we enjoy. I suppose it's a penalty we must accept. When Jackie Ickx paid homage to Jochen Rindt after his fatal accident at Monza he said it's not a case of age it's a case of what you achieve in during the years that you are given on earth. A boring non-achiever who makes 90 or a Grand Prix driver who packs 100 years in 30 years. What a choice - makes you think!

Take it easy!
Andre 40

Brian Magee

Supporter
Andre
Your remarks remind me of what Bruce McLaren said on hearing that his team mate Timmy Mayer had died.

"The news that he died instantly was a terrible shock to all of us, but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his twenty six years than many people do in a lifetime? To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone".

This could be Bruce's own epitaph.

Brian.

That’s a real tragedy. I too am amazed at the lack of apparent fire damage.

For those who would like a professionally engineered solution to the fuel-cap problem, this is how RF do it – although I suspect that regulations to minimize hydrocarbon emissions is also a factor in its design.

Fuel_Cap.jpg

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Chris L ]

Demon Tweeks has all the caps and necks you need to do this. You can even use a locking cap if you want to. (I did that on my Lola)
A fully charged, current onboard fire system is always a good idea.

Re the damage to the gt40, perhaps I should have given more details of what happend, when the car enterd the ditch at speed it slide along the top of the ditch on its underbody, it then hit the end of the ditch which was the enterance to the farmers field. The car upended nose over tail, and landed on its roof see picture 2. you can see the remains of the windscreen near the policemans foot. opposite where the car came to rest(see picture 4 ) was the enterance to the campsite where fortunatly fire extinguishers were kept 4 or 5 guys ran over to the flaming car to put the fire out, they then turned the car over and it burst into flames a second time, the reason for the lack of blackening on the bodywork, was that the petrol was burning , not the car
picture 1 you can see the fire damage on the side window. Graham was wearing racing overalls which were tied around his waist unfortunatly his pasanger was only wearing shorts the door top see pic 4 was pull off by one of the rescuers not the accident
hope this can help you to understand what happened i got there before the ambulance
did .

Due to the sensitive nature of this topic I have decided to lock it out. It has been brought to my attention that this subject still carries deep feelings for many that were invovled. Out of respect for them I believe it is the right thing to do.
If any safety issues or questions need to be asked please start it in a new thread.

Thank you,
Hersh
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back