Where do you go from a ’40?

The only way forward is to go back to the beginning.

If these cars are truly #1, there is no place to go but down, no?

WEB1a-FRANK-SIMEONE-DISK1-158-cor.jpg
http://www.september8th.com/simone_06_p1.html For credit.

I like the 908 Porsche as well. Does anyone make a kit? What would the preferred engine be?

Thanks
Bill D

Last edited:
That's what Kit drove after he gave up the Pontiac! If the ad hadn't
mentioned X1/9, I wouldn't have recognized any body panels.

Mark

Some great ideas here!

Chris, the 908 is a great choice, as are Martin's Ferrari 512S and 917. Of those three, the 917 would get my vote. How many magazine articles have you read where the phrase "fearsome 917" appears? :D

I wouldn't kick the 250LM out of my garage either......

Flying doesn't really appeal to me, I have to say. Although Urs, I'd love a ride in your Votec! From the video, it looks as if it's very much a single seater?

Motorbikes, well I'm very tempted. I used to have a Ducati 916 and a new 1098S is really calling to me. Having said that, I quite like my limbs just as they are. Paul, I am not getting another motorbike :D :D

My thoughts? Well, I had a fabulous drive in the '40 last night. Country roads, dual carriageways and some motorway. The traffic was relatively light and with the sun setting, it was close to perfection. The torque, the noise, the smell, the view out over the wheel arches, all just magical.

As I suspected when I started this thread, there is nowhere else to go - for me, at least.
For now.
Except a 996RS
or a GT2
or Graham T's 917
or a GT3
or........... :confused:

All the best!

Charles

Charles,

If I were you I would just sell my GT40!
Have you been in a GT3 RS? It is really great, the way it communicates, the brakes, the steering and even the sound of the engine.
If you like building your car than simply get a 917.

Will you bring your GT40 to Silverstone next week?:D :D :D

John

Charles,

An itch did you say? 7 years did you say? Do you realize that you are literally describing a seven-year-itch? Don’t be too concerned, love is like that. :) You can become accustomed to the face of even the most beautiful woman after living with her for a while. And then one day you notice that the pleasant looking girl behind the front desk looks a little more attractive than usual, and you begin to notice too that she has a sparkle in her eye.

Fortunately though, it is not socially unacceptable to have a love affair with more than one car at a time, or to transfer these affections between cars at a whim. Really, your GT40 won’t mind too much if you leave her for a while for a different love.

My guess is that you already have something in mind that doesn’t quite size up to the GT40 but would be nice to have in your garage anyway. If you can only afford one car at a time then remember, these types of cars can be a reasonable financial asset. If you are clever about it, you can sell the GT40 and buy another car of a similar value, and then at a later stage go back to the GT40 for little more than the cost of the transfers.

As was mentioned previously, the GT40 replica is not as rare as it once was and the second time around, you will know exactly what to look for. Unlike a past girlfriend, you can have a fling and the GT40 will still be waiting for you with open arms once you get the "other woman" out of your system. ;)

Last edited:
2007 Mongoose GTP: From Sept Issue of Kit Car. Is 1986 Corvette/Lola GTP replica.

Attachments

• Mongoose Corvette GTPLola.jpg
    Mongoose Corvette GTPLola.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 295
Hard question for me as I have spent so much time aspiring to the GT40! Along the way I have had many poorer contenders, but I learned a couple of lessons. Think about your own experiences and how they have shaped your wants and needs. Here are some of mine:

1. I'm not a "muscle car" kind of guy as defined by mid-60's to early 70's US V8's in relatively light chassis. I know this after owning about a dozen differnet ones and always being disappointed.

2. I'm not a "streetrod" kind of guy as defined by pre-1949 US 2 door production cars modified with bigger engines, body changes, chassis upgrades, etc. This was sealed after owning a 1941 Willys coupe with a big block Chevy engine. Car was brutally fast in a straight line, but scared the hell out of me going around any corner.

3. I'm not a modern production or limited production car kind of guy. They are difficult to work on and I get a real kick out of building it myself.

4. I'm not a drag racer, straight line performance at all costs kind of guy. Road courses and handling along with brute power trip my trigger.

5. I am a supercar kind of guy, but they are so damned expensive I have to find or build a clone if I want one.

6. I am a sports car kind of guy, so if it looks good, handles well, and has a reasonably powerful engine and two seats, I'm in. I have a Factory Five Daytona Coupe right now that I built and love driving.

So based on all of this, I just can't imagine life after my GT40. Big difference is my build is still ahead of me and I can drive the Daytona when I get the itch. Also, to Chris' point above neither the Daytona or GT40 get jealous, both have a history of working together, and both meet my needs above. Kind of my own menage a trois!

There's a lot of obvious love and loyalty out there for the old 40's (for good reason). What can replace them? No single car, probably.
It looks like many owners will choose to be buried in their GT40's. Don't forget to mention this in your will!

Dalton

Back