Which Air Con unit...?

Marcus

Supporter
Hi guys...Rather than having the fastest sauna on the road...would rather be a little more prepared for next Le man or Spa trip... !!
Has anyone installed an off the shelf compressor unit driven off the engine rather than an electric one...? I have a KVA that looks quite old school and basic so an in cockpit discreet unit would be the idea... Any experience most welcome on the subject....kr Marcus

Marcus

Supporter
Thanks Jimmy for the heads up on this unit.... I think running the compressor off motor has to be better than an electric unit....more woof but up more effort to fit for sure...!!!

Marcus

Supporter
Hmmmm all points well made Jimmy... I wonder if any other owners have experience of going with either system and would be kind enough to post their comments... cheers

Hi, don't forget that "old" aircons need to be updated from R12 to R134 gas , so an more recent aircon system would be better I think(don't know rules &regulation in youre part of the world which gas you using....
Paul

Marcus

Supporter
That is a top call Paul.....can you imagine installing S/H and then not being able to gas it...omg...!!! Wants to what units owners may have retro fitted and can recommend......
Thanks for the heads up....

Hi Marcus,
I have a KVA and fitted aircon 2 years ago. I really don't know why I didn't fit it years earlier, I have arrived at Le Mans very red and heat-distressed in the past. I use the Car Builders Solutions #AIRCON3 aircon+heater unit mounted under the dash on the passenger side. I removed the original heater/demister box as this is no longer required. There are 4 circular outlets, I sent 2 to the demister, and 2 to the eyeballs. I also fitted y-adapters to blow some cold air on my feet. This is a complete kit less the following items which I have added:

1. Wiring- I designed my own wiring diag, I can send you a pdf when you get to that stage.
2. Engine-driven compressor, mounted to the left side next to the oil filter, with its own belt from the crankshaft pulley. If you have a toothed accessory belt you could drive it off this, but I've not tried it.
3. Condensing radiator, as big as I could get it, in front of the main radiator. Fans x2, as big as possible, behind the radiator.
4. Pipes and hoses, custom, I went to an aircon fitter and he made the pipes and gassed up the system.
5. I got someone else to install/fabricate all the mechanical items of the system, I did all the electrics and testing.

Advantages- nice and cold of course, but also it works as a fantastic demister in all weathers.
Disadvantages- for a road car, none. For a race car, weight, and when in use a power loss. It is not climate control, you either have aircon, heating, or just forced airflow.
Everything bought new, no problems. The cold output is set to +4 degrees, so the fan speed is used to regulate just how cold you want to be. You will need fan speed 3 cruising around Le Mans in 34 degrees. As a heater, it works well.
Don't forget to plumb-in the condensation drains, there are 2.

Cheers, Tony.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Check out Vintage Air. I have the generation 2 system. Looks like a nice kit, but I made my own control panel. Not hard to fit in a CAV

Marcus

Supporter
Hi Marcus,
I have a KVA and fitted aircon 2 years ago. I really don't know why I didn't fit it years earlier, I have arrived at Le Mans very red and heat-distressed in the past. I use the Car Builders Solutions #AIRCON3 aircon+heater unit mounted under the dash on the passenger side. I removed the original heater/demister box as this is no longer required. There are 4 circular outlets, I sent 2 to the demister, and 2 to the eyeballs. I also fitted y-adapters to blow some cold air on my feet. This is a complete kit less the following items which I have added:

1. Wiring- I designed my own wiring diag, I can send you a pdf when you get to that stage.
2. Engine-driven compressor, mounted to the left side next to the oil filter, with its own belt from the crankshaft pulley. If you have a toothed accessory belt you could drive it off this, but I've not tried it.
3. Condensing radiator, as big as I could get it, in front of the main radiator. Fans x2, as big as possible, behind the radiator.
4. Pipes and hoses, custom, I went to an aircon fitter and he made the pipes and gassed up the system.
5. I got someone else to install/fabricate all the mechanical items of the system, I did all the electrics and testing.

Advantages- nice and cold of course, but also it works as a fantastic demister in all weathers.
Disadvantages- for a road car, none. For a race car, weight, and when in use a power loss. It is not climate control, you either have aircon, heating, or just forced airflow.
Everything bought new, no problems. The cold output is set to +4 degrees, so the fan speed is used to regulate just how cold you want to be. You will need fan speed 3 cruising around Le Mans in 34 degrees. As a heater, it works well.
Don't forget to plumb-in the condensation drains, there are 2.

Cheers, Tony.
Hi Tony....Sorry for delayed response....thanks so much for the follow-up it really is appreciated.....got some thinking to do.....Cheers Marcus

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
A small pozidrive screwdriver on really hot days.

Remove the drivers window, up to about 100mph you get very little buffeting inside the car!

The rest of the time make sure you have a good flow of air into the cabin to keep flushing out the heat!

Ian

Back