Why are GT40s so popular in Australia and NZ?

Might be a silly question of course (they're popular everywhere I guess!), but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of interest in GT40s in the lower hemisphere... Any reason? My experience is with Cobra replicas to date, and I'm just surprised by the volume of traffic from down under on the GT40 scene compared to what I've seen re: Cobras. Especially considering the complexity of importation, etc...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I would hazard a guess thet they are o greater populated by GT40's that USA

But Southern Hemispherians are a really friendly bunch who may not have all the latest bits but can make most things work and are happy to share their knowledge.

Take examples of Pete, JacMac, Ian, Chris, Russ, Ross to name a few I bet if you asked for assistance they would come forward.

I would like to hazard a guess that the board members in South Africa would tend to be the same.

Ian
Ex Zimbabwe so also from the Southern Hemisphre

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It could also be that during the time that the GT40s were racing, there were a whole lot of very good drivers from that part of the world.

The first GT40 Le mans winner was driven by Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon, both from NZ. Then when you add in Black Jack, Denny Hulme, Tim Schenken, Frank Gardner and the great Paul Hawkins......................

I can understand why we have so many enthusiasts from below the equator.

Certainly my love of GT40's stems from the fact that two Aussie icons, Frank Gardner & Paul Hawkins had great success racing them, particularly Paul.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• PICT0379.JPG
    PICT0379.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 255
Might be a silly question of course (they're popular everywhere I guess!), but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of interest in GT40s in the lower hemisphere... Any reason? My experience is with Cobra replicas to date, and I'm just surprised by the volume of traffic from down under on the GT40 scene compared to what I've seen re: Cobras. Especially considering the complexity of importation, etc...

You seem to be suggesting that us folk from down under import all our GT40 / Cobra bits & pieces......definitely not the case at all, last time I looked there were several outfits building body/chassis kits etc in both Australia & NZ, I can think of several firms that will build a complete roller body/chassis in alloy for a cobra, C or D-type Jag, or damn near anything your prepared to pay for.

You guys have only mentioned driver involvement.... Ron Butler & John Ohlsen were two Kiwi mechanics that were right in the thick of the Cobra, Daytona & GT40 development via the Shelby team, there are others as well, I helped a guy from the USA get in contact with another team mechanic a year or two ago, he apparently had lived about 75 miles away from me & had worked on 'the line' assembling the GT350 mustangs, & then last Xmas a guy sent some period pics of the 427 coil spring coupe taken while he worked at Holmans......small world eh!

Jac was that the Ron Butler from Papatoetoe, who used to race a nice litle porsche in the early 60's, A real nice guy who helped me out with my first race car, mum had a fish and chip shop just up the road from their garage and they always came down for their lunch.
cheers John

Gt40 co-incidences abound down under.

Some years ago, refinancing a mortgage with Citisomething, we sat in the (ex US) manager's office. He had photos of our house, which happened to include a shot of my Lotus 7 replica on the front lawn. Talk turned to cars, and even then the 40 was in gestation.

Turned out that in a previous life he had worked as a spray painter in Ford HQ, and had painted a fleet of original 40's in any colour the lucky recipient Ford manager desired. I think a metallic pink was mentioned???

Had to repaint one when some dolt left a thinners laden rag on a newly painted car overnight.

Tis a small world.

Clive

Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon and Denny Hulme are Motorsport Icons here in New Zealand.
Given that three of the six drivers were Kiwi's that beat Ferarri in 1966 the GT40 is well inbeded in our Motorsport history. And long may it last.

Back