Would you run your 40 on an eletric engine?

Title says it, i wonder how the reception for a high efficiency high performance eletric motor would be among the supercar enthusiast crew ^^

The Vroom Vroom factor, i see! Guess i'll have to come up with something to emulate it, since i have to admit i miss it as well.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've actually given it some thought... Not ready to make a decision yet. I can fit a lot of batteries in those fuel tanks!!!

If you want to keep it authentic with a Lucas electric motor, you'll need a couple of these too.

Attachments

• lucas Smoke.jpg
    lucas Smoke.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 338
For the simulated vroom-vroom factor you could always take a playing card and a clothespin and set it up to hit the spokes. On the serious side - we may not have many other options in the not too distant future. I think Fran is definitely on the right track (npi) with the new electrics and it's only a matter of time and technology before more of these machines join the silence. Personally,I'm with ijvpet on this one.

Last edited:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
no,no,no,no,no. I'd rather park it and look at it. Electric cars will inevitably come but the GT40, will always remain a V8 engined supercar to me.

Ross

I am also considering it. Take a look at BluWavsystems.com. They produce 2 elegant solutions:
1. in-wheel hub motor, which bolts directly onto your rear suspension. It comes complete with disc brake and regenerative braking and fits inside a 17" wheel.

2. back-to-back motors, which replace your transaxle - just bolt on your half shafts.

...and those sill gas tanks - what a great place to store batteries!

Attachments

• hub_motor.JPG
    hub_motor.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 275
  • back-to-back.JPG
    back-to-back.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Scott - Those Hub-Motors would have an awful lot of unsprung weight and would really kill the great handling quality of any car be it a GT40 or a GTM. It's one thing to take away the sounds of a Supercar, but to take away the Handling would leave me a bit cold...

I think what the final thing said is,,,,,, what do you want for "motor
" vation that is not tied to gasoline. For those that want to know, there are alternatives that will keep the ICE on the road. I and several others are working on at least 3 of those as we speak. I don't want the cat out of the bag yet, because they aren't in a finished state. What I will say is that one of them will allow you to use anything, and I do mean anything(in a liquid or gas state), that is combustible. It will have zero emmisions. By that I mean there will be no soot in the exhaust. I am waiting on some exhaust analysis for any other elements that I don't know are there. There are some things that will be there that might give concerns such as NOX. But I am hoping they will be eliminated in the coming months.
A second one will have "absolutely" no emmisions, just CO2 and H2O. We are hoping that when finished that we can provide some test data that will show power numbers that will give us some information about the difference of gasoline to this source. The third has some byproducts that at pressent can't be gotten around. It will have some byproducts that the user can recycle. Variations on the original idea, utilizing aluminum, do have some dangerous after products.Aluminum was chosen because of its cheapness and accessibility compared to other elements chosen.
What is interesting is that all of the things the group is working with, are not trying to be keep secret. The patent process is broken. Anything that is patented by the individual, can be stolen by a big corporation, and there isn't a thing you can do about it. They have unlimited resources to fight you. You can look most of this up for yourselves. Some examples I have heard about are the WEED EATER and the PRIUS electric motor system. I am sure there are many others. Most have been bought up by interested industry and shelved. What we are doing is getting the information, building or experimenting with it, and then posting it on the web or UTUBE, Then asking the viewers to build it themselves and improve it if they can or have an idea about it, and then report back, or in the utube area, post a responding video.
This is one of the most exciting times in the area of alternative fuels. Because it is out there, the industry(s) can't interfere with its progress. There are a lot of "out of the box" thinkers out there. This is the beginning of a cottage industry that will probably solve the energy crisis. That may be a big statement, but a lot of these ideas can be used for so many other things than the ICE. You can use many for heating as well as cooking. Many are well suited for third world countries, because they are cheap and easily made or utilized. I think here is a revolution beginning in the energy field that is unfolding before us and it doesn't have much to do with oil, except reduce our dependence.
I will be reporting back on the progress as it unfolds.

Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Go Bill !!! You have hit the nail on the head - it will be the small inventors who end up making the big difference. Yep, they will inevitably get screwed by the big guys, but we will all benefit. (My grandfather had a shale oil pilot plant running before WW2 - bought out by BP & shut down, but waiting for the barrel price to go high enough to make it viable).

With communications, comes freedom ! Given the ubiquity of the internet & the willingness of people to share new ideas over this medium, the big guys can no longer buy & bury the good ideas.

Keep us in the loop.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Bill - Have you investigated or done any work with migrating chamber engines? They have high torque,good efficiency and the advantage of an almost ambient temp exhaust.Don't know about the emissions factors though. A.J.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bill - I'll be very interested in your experiments...
I'm working on a couple myself. No big mystery here - Just a Diesel Electric Serial Hybrid. Will start out as pure electric to get the kinks worked out and then on to the Diesel Power generation system.

XP1 will not be my Forty though... :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
BTW - I just love it when people tell me "You can't do that.....".....

Just watch me.... :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Now where did I put that Sawzall? :shocked: :laugh: :shocked:

Back