Would you run your 40 on an eletric engine?

FWIW, I have a good friend in the Pantera club whose brother is the chief battery engineer for Tesla Motors

For those who might not be aware, Tesla is the furthest along in producing a genuine electric-powered sports car. The chassis design is based on that of the Lotus Elise (and in fact the chassis/body/suspension/etc. is manufactured for them by Lotus in Hethel).

He brought the factory demonstrator to a Pantera club meeting a few months ago, and I was able to wangle a ride in the thing.

It feels very similar to an Elise, as you might imagine, but the acceleration is very different--extremely linear, and unlike a gasoline-powered car, the *rate* of acceleration seemed to go up, not down, as speed increased.

And speed DID increase, a bunch! This sucker is WAY fast.

With the complete absence of noise from an internal combustion engine, tire noise (and the associated noise of pebbles being flung into the wheelwells by the sticky tires) became very noticeable.

The overall sound and feel is that of a golf cart on steroids, with the distinctive golf cart whine from the transmission (nominally a two-speed gearbox, but with the lower gear locked out due to reliability problems, meaning it's effectively a single-speed transmission) and the aforementioned tire noise, coupled with wind noise as the only aural signals received.

And that is the great downfall of the thing. It just drove home the point that a substantial portion of the enjoyment of driving a sports car comes from the aural cues that you get from the engine and drivetrain. Whether it's the wail of a highly-tuned Italian V-12, or the basso profundo bellow of a 427 Cobra's open sidepipes, or the delicious scream of a Ford V8 through 180-degree exhausts, the engine noise is as important as its ability to propel the car forward.

So, no electric sports cars for me!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Mike,
when I drive the EL-R I get the same feeling...its earily quiet and quite spooky....the accel. is awesome though and immediate...especially when the throttle pedal programme is turned to sport and our "nanny" switch is in the off position...

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Surely a hardwired "aural accompaniment" can be added to any of these cars that can be programmed to emulate any drivetrain soundtrack of your liking to enhance the experience? If this was "the only" stumbling block for not going electric then I am sure those interested in this field could supply the necessary equipment to resolve it. Ross Nicol could probably fix that problem in the blink of an eye!

You could allways put a peg in your wheel?? That changed my push bike into a motor cycle when I was a kid.....

I'm thinking about a new engine for my Westfield and was considering an
elect transplant.

No, the only reasons I could see doing it would be for either energy conservation or lower cost. Neither is feasible right now, so the overwhelming drive is raw V8 sound and performance.

I just love it when people tell me "You can't do that.....".....

Ha! Amen to that!
That's one of the reasons we're working in secret anyway, if things go as planned we might have a working prototype within a year, and then people will have to just shut up!

The patent process is broken. Anything that is patented by the individual, can be stolen by a big corporation, and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

This has got me somewhat worried... How is that? So it isnt any good submitting our project to a patent once we get a prototype? If people will just steal it maybe it's better to just develop it and then market it withou a patent?

I am new to this forum, but the whole reason I purchased a GT40 replica was to use it as a foundation to build an electric car. The electric motor technology has been there to produce fast cars. The missing link which is being filled in is the batteries. What Tesla Motor's outed CEO and designer saw was that the missing link was being developed not for cars, but for laptop computers. The problem with Tesla is that they are shooting too high and producing a car that is too pricey.

The technology for producing and charging high output rechargeable batteries is being developed and will soon be affordable. The automakers are too close to the oil companies to produce a full EV car. It needs to be a grass roots movement by hobbiest and people fed up with paying too much for foreign oil. This cost is not only the price paid at the pump but also the lives of young Americans sent in to protect oil interests in the Middle East.

Yes the patent process is broken. Its too costly and can only be defended with deep pockets. Open Source is the way of the future. Share the technology collectively and make money on support. (building, repairing, and parts)

I will soon be setting up a website to share my ideas and build process with others and encourage others to join in on producing Open Source EV technology that can be applied to any car.

The GT40 was my choice because of its simple and elegant timeless design.

You are very correct about open sourcing. The best source for all these sorts of things is Utube. Those of us working on alternative fuels do it that way. Once you find some like people, you can form a loose association or a hard and fast one that lets you share the resources and experiments. One for HHO which I am involved with has formed a group known as EBN or Energy Builders Network. This is 18 guys who build off each ones experiences so to lessen the duplication. They are making great headway in developing a fuel cell for boosting fuel mileage. I will be posting some of the results soon on what they and I are doing. Unfortunately I came along too late to be an actual part of their group, but contribute by posting comments/suggestions to their videos. Once I have sufficient "stuff", I will begin posting video responses to their work. I have already completed a plasma generator that I am running on my lawnmower, which is my test bed. So far it will run on anything combustible, even used motor oil without any smoke. Setup correctly, it produces more oxygen than it consumes and you can hold the muffler with your bare hand!!!! Next it will be subjected to a Hydrogen/Oxygen(HHO) generator. Both these devices have eliminated the need for carburetors, but they are still in their infancy. Stay tuned and keep experimenting.

Bill

I actually like the idea of open source, the problem is i wouldnt like the big companies to benefit from my research, and if we go open source in the end that's what happens =/

Ideally I'd like to have two GT40s. One with the original 302W (just for the link back to the original) and another that I can modify to my heart's content with the latest and greatest (because that's what the GT40 was all about) and that absolutely includes the possibility of an electric motor.

And as far as "must have that aural feedback" goes, history shows that people will learn to love any sound if it's associated with performance... although it may be a generational change rather than an individual change. Take the sound of a turbo charged car for example. People will now go wobbly at the knees over turbo whine but that wasn't always the case over 20 years ago. There was lots of poo-poo'ing of that sound back then.

Even silence might become a turn-on in the not-too-distant future. I can just see kids of tomorrow laughing at grandpa's old jalopy making all that noise and going nowhere compared to their quiet X-drive sports car ;)

Its great to see though that people are finally associating sports cars with alternative fuels. For years, its been a total mystery to me why electric cars had to look like electric washing machines. Sports cars (and racing cars) have always shone the light for new technology and I reckon it will here too.

Chris, I disagree, some sounds never get better - example - rotary (for me at least).

The first rotary was the worst, the second was just as bad, and then it just went downhill from there...

Like a chainsaw convention.

Quad rotor sounds amazing though... Damn...

Tim.

P.S. Thank's Douglas. So long and thanks for all the quotes.

... proving quite convincingly that there is always an exception to the rule ;) ...and thanks by the way for helping me find yet another reason to curse them damn rotaries!!! :D

I did (for a very short time) consider a rotary for my SLC, went with an LS engine.
A little heavier but much less expensive, great power to be had, better fuel economy, smoother power band. Sounds sinister with the right camshaft.

Back