Yos' SLC Build Thread

Thanks for the help with Sketchup Yos and everyone else!
Yos, was it necessary to have the G96.50 trans beefed up to handle the torque of the LS9 or is it capable enough in stock form?
Also, does the height of the supercharger interfere with the rear window? If so, what is your plan for this issue?

Thanks for the help with Sketchup Yos and everyone else!
Yos, was it necessary to have the G96.50 trans beefed up to handle the torque of the LS9 or is it capable enough in stock form?
Also, does the height of the supercharger interfere with the rear window? If so, what is your plan for this issue?

I was told that the g96.50 would hold up fine without needing any mods. I really, really hope that's true...

The supercharger fits just perfectly under the glass. Like it was meant to be :thumbsup:

Yos why did you wrap your cooling lines?

Also did you ever consider using silicone fire sleeve. Would work well and is not crazy expensive if you buy from a bulk place. Here is what I am talking about FYI if you do not know already.
S-E13610 Silco Silicone Fiberglass Firesleeve Protection Sleeve

Some coolant line pics. I used header wrap on the side pipes and I think I'm going to use the flex hose to go around the front wheel area. It's either that or welded pipes.
Mounted...

dscf0077small.jpg

I was just trying to keep as much heat out of the passenger area as possible. A few guys wrapped their pipes...and I jumped on board I suppose.

I've since removed those coolant pipes all together, and went with welded aluminum pipes all the way from the engine bay to the radiator. Thanks for the link...I actually looked for 1.5" ID sleeves, but couldn't find any. That header wrap sucks! My old lady was pretty pissed off that I used her good salad bowl to soak it in...

I may use that sleeve on the new pipes, but at $8 a foot...ouch! I really hate when I want stuff... :veryangry:

See below, My text in red

I was just trying to keep as much heat out of the passenger area as possible. I figure that was the case but I was not sure. Have several builders said anything about heat build up issues?

I've since removed those coolant pipes all together, and went with welded aluminum pipes all the way from the engine bay to the radiator. I am sure it looks much better. It sounds you are like me in the fact that fit and finish is important to you even if the detail is hidden from sight.

Thanks for the link...I actually looked for 1.5" ID sleeves, but couldn't find any. I am not 100% sure on the quality of the product from that company as I have never seen there stuff in that size. I know the bigger stuff is hard to find, you may want to call them and ask them for a small sample or at least a good description of the product.

My old lady was pretty pissed off that I used her good salad bowl to soak it in... Ha thats nothing, you should have seen my friends wifes face when she came home to find his dirt bike gear on their bed on her nice white bed spread. That was at least 8 years ago now and I still remember her face and her yelling his name at the top of her lungs telling him to get his butt up here right now. Those kinds of moments are such good comedy. He is still alive and they are still married. :)

I may use that sleeve on the new pipes, but at $8 a foot...ouch! I really hate when I want stuff... :veryangry: I figured you might say that, sorry for your luck but I know how you feel!

Hey Kyle...I'm not sure if heat build up is a huge problem or not. I'm just trying to make sure the car is as comfortable as possible. I really want to build a true street car, so I'm just being careful. I'm definitely going to over do the heat protection and sound deadening...

And your buddy sounds just as careless as me when it comes to household manners. My girl is pretty mellow though...I had the blown, big block Chevy for my jetboat...on a stand...in my living room...at the end of the couch for 9 months while I was working on the boat. Left permanent marks in the carpet, but it was one hell of an end table! She even dusted it everytime she cleaned! :laugh:

And I have my steering wheel finally. The PRI Show in Orlando was a blessing...it's so helpful to have 100 steering wheels all in one place, where you can actually put your hands on em'

imag2223.jpg

I'm going to use the kit supplied QR and re-drill it for the Momo pattern. The distance from the column works out perfectly, and there's not so many different parts this way.

Yos

Your new cooling lines look so much better. Are you going to build some new mounts for the front sections or stick with the pinch clamps. I say you should cut some out of rectangular UHMW plastic :lipsrsealed:.

Good looking wheel too.

I have been trying not to think about cars for the last week and next while as I have been trying to stay work focused but I sure would like to jump into a car build right now.

I would also really like to check out an SLC in person before I do actually buy. I just really need to make sure it fits me and I can tailor it to my liking. Maybe this spring I will fly out to visit the good slc folks.

And I have my steering wheel finally. The PRI Show in Orlando was a blessing...it's so helpful to have 100 steering wheels all in one place, where you can actually put your hands on em'

imag2223.jpg

I'm going to use the kit supplied QR and re-drill it for the Momo pattern. The distance from the column works out perfectly, and there's not so many different parts this way.

Yos - do you know what size wheel and model number that wheel is. I need to do the same thing. The supplied wheel just feels too big (bulky) in my hands.

BTW: your build is raising the bar - very nice

Yos - do you know what size wheel and model number that wheel is.

Hey Mike...it's a Momo Mod 30. I believe it's 320mm. It's small, but not much smaller than the supplied one. May even be the same size. Feels just right in my opinion...

Once the upholstery begins on my seat pads and door panels...I'll ship the wheel off with my matching leather to be recovered. Also, I'll probably change the Momo logo to a color that better suits my interior theme.

Hey Mike...it's a Momo Mod 30. I believe it's 320mm. It's small, but not much smaller than the supplied one. May even be the same size. Feels just right in my opinion...

Thanks Yos,

I've just spent about 1 hour looking at MOMO wheels - got it narrowed down to 3 models and then the Grant 4009 adapter. It would be nice to have all three here to try....damn.

I have to stop frequenting this forum.... it makes me buy stuff.

I've just spent about 1 hour looking at MOMO wheels - got it narrowed down to 3 models and then the Grant 4009 adapter. It would be nice to have all three here to try....damn.

I'd suggest finding a vendor fairly close by with a great return policy. Just buy your first choice...or your last, and send it back if it's not perfect. Might cost you some money in shipping, but you can't settle when it comes to the steering wheel. It's literally the part you interact with the most on the whole car.

I got lucky that PRI is right in my back yard every year. I was spoiled getting to go into the Momo, Sparco, OMP, Grant, and Flaming River booths all at the same time. 100's of options...and I came out and ordered the Mod 30...if that means anything.

I have to stop frequenting this forum.... it makes me buy stuff.

I totally agree. It will be the death of me... :knife:

I totally agree. It will be the death of me... :knife:[/QUOTE]

That may be true....but the info gained here is PRICELESS!:thumbsup:

Jim

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Yos - Did you bend and weld the coolant lines or did you have a shop do it? Very nice work either way - exactly what I plan to do with mine.

Dave L

Yos - Did you bend and weld the coolant lines or did you have a shop do it? Very nice work either way - exactly what I plan to do with mine.

Definitely had the shop do it! I weld like shit as it is...I'd hate to see what I'd do to aluminum tubing :drunk:

Did the first phase of sound deadening tonight.

If any one is curious...One package of 9 (18"x32") sheets will cover the entire floor and center tube. I had very, very little scrap left over, so the pic is a good description of how far a package will go.

I'll be using second skin for around the fuel tank/firewall area. I'll need more Dynamat too. One more pack for the chassis, and one for the body.

imag2269z.jpg

imag2268.jpg

Also...I've added up the weights of all my anticipated sound deadening materials. I've seen it debated a lot, so I figured I'd put a fairly accurate figure to the confusion...

Remember that this is way overkill. I'm going overboard with my car on purpose... :thumbsup:

108 square feet of Dynamat = 48.6 lbs
30 square feet of Second Skin = 10.5 lbs
50 square feet of 1/4" Dynaliner = 4.2 lbs

Total weight of estimated sound deadening materials...63.3 lbs (I have no idea if this is good or bad, but 60 lbs doesn't bother me in the least)

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Very Nice work Yos - I have boxes of Dynamat waiting for my SLC, good choice imho. You'll have a very quiet cockpit when you're done .....at least pretty much as quiet as possible anyway ;-)

Dave L

Back