Yos' SLC Build Thread

OK I have looked at numerous other builders exhausts and I have been less then impressed with every single set up I have seen so far!!! But I will say that your exhaust looks really really slick, the tips look menacing.

I'm in a similar place. I have a G96/96 from a 2004 Porsche GT3. What I will likely do is get a salvage transmission mount and fab a bracket to attach that to the upper brace. Since I have a full Porsche drivetrain, I may even get rid of the motor mount plate between engine and transmission and just use the stock front motor and transmission mounts. That's how the drivetrain sits in a Porsche.

But that's not what this thread is about. Regarding just the transmission, the part number for the current and most up to date transmission mount for a G96 is 997 375 033 03. In looking at the parts DB, anything from a 996 tiptronic (not manual), 996 GT2/Turbo/GT3, 997.1 base model tiptronic (not manual), 997.1 GT3 and likely more 997's should work, as they all reference this part number as the current replacement part. $250 new, but I'm sure you can get them fairly easily from LAPD or DC Auto. Note that base Carrera with manual are a different part number.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Sorry for this small thread jack Yos. But if you want an even better trans mount this unit from AWD motorsports uses amuch better urethane bushing. The OEM porsche rubber units are no where near as good as the AWD one. Torque Solution Polyurethane Filled Transmission Mount: Porsche 911 996/997 1998-2011

OK I have looked at numerous other builders exhausts and I have been less then impressed with every single set up I have seen so far!!! But I will say that your exhaust looks really really slick, the tips look menacing.

Grrrr!

exhaust.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
OK I have looked at numerous other builders exhausts and I have been less then impressed with every single set up I have seen so far!!!

That's a little harsh don't ya think. :shocked:

We all aren't building show cars. Purpose built track cars have no need for a "pretty" exhaust. :shifty:

Ken I hope Kyle buys in to an SL-C soon, if he hasn't already. Im always looking for new Ideas and am thinking he would have some great stuff to show us, sounds like he has a great skill set and is very meticulous, can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Having chatted with Kyle today ....he sounds like he potentially ,wants to build a monster...will be interesting to see how it comes together...if he goes with an SLC that is...

Having chatted with Kyle today ....he sounds like he potentially ,wants to build a monster...will be interesting to see how it comes together...if he goes with an SLC that is...

Yeah and thanks again Fran for your time. I know that time is money and you taking the time to answer my questions and just shoot the poop shows me you are keen about your product. Also the people on here seem realy willing to help out and offer info. I got way better responces here to my questions then I got from the Ultima crowd and at the end of the day when you come up to a head scratcher moment or when you are looking for even just opinions that all helps out.

I know you say you don't have all the answers but opinions matter too and at the end of the day I am a big boy that can make up my own mind.

Thanks Folks :drunk:

That's a little harsh don't ya think. :shocked:

We all aren't building show cars. Purpose built track cars have no need for a "pretty" exhaust. :shifty:

I am sorry if my statement offends you, I come from a very high end racing back ground and there is one thing that I have learned over the years. That is --> The Details all matter. More often then not the reason a car wins a race or does not brake down while going to get milk is because someone took care of more details. Hence why no one wants the car that is built on the friday before a long weekend or the tuesday after one.

Sorry Yos, I will try to quit spaming up your build thread now!!!

Great design and execution. It looks like weapon being aimed at you ready to fire. How long before it's running and we get a video of the sound?

I have plans to get the body work and paint done in the early spring time...so that kind of gives me a deadline to have it running soon. We're working on the engine accessories now. Hopefully I'll be able to fire it up, dyno it, and post a video in the next month or so. Fingers crossed...

Sorry Yos, I will try to quit spaming up your build thread now!!!

No problem...I've always noticed some really good info comes from side tracked threads.

Alex - Does that thing shoot flames? I think I told you...my welder had pics of your exhaust on his phone. Strange...but I thought it was pretty cool.

Sorry Al, simular results to Yos's. Do you dave a build thread on here... Fran told me that for a guy that is not a life-er gear head that you have done some nice work.

Also
Yos and Alex, How long have each of you guys been working on your cars.

Sorry Al, simular results to Yos's. Do you dave a build thread on here... Fran told me that for a guy that is not a life-er gear head that you have done some nice work.

Also
Yos and Alex, How long have each of you guys been working on your cars.

December 2009.

One day I will move beyond slug speed :(

Awesome build Yos. I have really enjoyed following it. That exhaust setup looks great. I have a question about your use of Skethup... did you use sketchup to just give the fabricators a general idea of what you wanted or did you get parts waterjet or plasma directly from your Sketchup file?
Just curious about the abilities of Sketchup - looks like a great program especially for being free. Also, any tutorials or articles you recommend for someone just starting to use Sketchup?

I've used Sketchup to mock up our kitchen and test out remodel ideas (like removing a section of cabinets). It worked well.

Haven't used it for something as extensive as that gorgeous layout Yos has though!

There are some good tutorials right on the Google site where you download it from.

Awesome build Yos. I have really enjoyed following it. That exhaust setup looks great. I have a question about your use of Skethup... did you use sketchup to just give the fabricators a general idea of what you wanted or did you get parts waterjet or plasma directly from your Sketchup file?
Just curious about the abilities of Sketchup - looks like a great program especially for being free. Also, any tutorials or articles you recommend for someone just starting to use Sketchup?

Hey Matt...I only use it for modeling and patterns. I don't think it can be directly loaded into "regular" CAD driven stuff (water jets, cnc, etc..) But...if you do the footwork in something like sketch-up, it makes it so much easier for the machine shop to have all the detailed drawings and dimensions figured out for them. Not to mention it'll make it a lot cheaper! It'll only take them a fraction of the time to re-create it in their preferred software.

I would suggest coming up with something you want to design/build, and just diving in head first. I began with a home audio speaker and just started hitting buttons :thumbsup:

I only went to tutorials when I was stumped on a very specific action/tool. I don't absorb things well unless I'm physically doing it with something I'm currently interested in (in other words...very hands on) I would play around and try to sort things out on my own, and when there was no way I could get there...I'd watch a tutorial made for my current confusion. In my opinion, there's no need to watch tutorials that you're not directly using at the time. For example...you need to make a cylinder for an exhaust pipe...just watch a cylinder tutorial and move on to the next thing. After a few small projects...you'll have it licked.

Let me know if you ever get stumped, and I'll do my best to help. Keep in mind...I'm just a construction worker with a high school diploma soaked in beer...so maybe not the best guy to take advice from! I think there's probably a forum or group just for sketch-up out there too.

And, I agree with Tom. The tutorials on the google site are the most helpful.

Hint:

If you can draw a bananna in sketchup, you can draw anything...
If you lay off of the vodka it won't be ketchup.

Back