Youtube SL-C on track

Only one complaint from me--- It needs an 8 into 1 exhaust, to make it sound as sophisticated as it looks.:):). Bit like an old ------- at the moment.:)

Wow, i have seen a picture of a 8-into-1 setup on dune buggy, but never heard one before. I have to say, thats a pretty darn awesome sound!
Heres some pictures of the dune buggy. The setup looks wild!
http://www.californiaperformance.com/tatum_with_s4.htm

I have to ask though, with the little i know about exhaust theory, it doesn't seems like the 8-into-1 is a very efficient setup. Wont some of the exhaust pulses cancel each other out rather than help pull the intake charge in? Or is this exhaust not used on engines that have cam's with a lot of overlap? Is there any performance benefit with this exhaust?

I assume that this exhaust has all 8 pipes meeting at a single collector, rather than both sides of the engine collecting 4 pipes and having those meet at 1...

Last edited:
I was of the impression that a 180-degree system would be the most efficient. I am in agreement that the 8-to-1 sounds awesome, but I do believe that combining into one collector would negate the benefits of the 180 design. Am I misled? Please educate me.

With current cam durations collector is best built in two lots of 180° before merging into one tailpipe or a two in one out muffler. With a rethink of exhaust duration the one collector with 90° intervals can & does work. Built one for a jet boat ages ago that had a circular collector with primaries arranged so that with two collectors we were able to convert from 8/1@90°, 4/1 @180°,4/1 odd. No dyno work was done, but highest rpm was pulled on 8/1 ( Jet unit makes for a primitive dyno anyway:) Sounded terrific to me, Q/town harbourmaster had his own opinion:)

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The SL-C is fantastic looking. I'll have to agree with Mr. Mac, needs something... a high rpm Trans Am motor, some snakes... not that big cube non-musical Chevy :tongue3: sound too much like a 'Vette

Congrats, that is really sharp looking, More videos and in car-cam please!

Sandy

My system is stock cast iron vette manifolds, stock 2.5" cats, with a custom twin-skinned exhaust tip - made to replicate the rear opening of the Ultima.

This was thrown together to get the car on the road for some testing.

The plan is to put a muffler on it (in place of the tip) for registration...I'm in Hong Kong and expecting a grilling from the regulatory bodies on emissions... so the ideas was stock manifolds etc for registration and switch to headers later with 3" cats and the current tip.

At the moment there's no mufflers.. wont pass registration but sure sounds nice.

Ive always been a fan of single systems on V8's - sounds much sweeter to me.

y1pez1fsP9r8rxz-YQZvLbDOsWhXH9NGynvGQR0w-6PnCXu3ZX606RTbw

y1p1x1bBV4hHY3dxvubJFViwd5ivEGoaywCMRExNPwwOCwpNSjmdDermA

y1pmC05-qBfoyck14qmITTXBSjR9mOBZ69t1ptGwNC5N1LDPZYjGKpQdQ

y1p5o30T6_ElVrZ-GitxdQPQB8XyMQwSdFPZAt-tl3aN5RUxE1enKqStA

Hey Crafty!
Long time no speak - Would you say that wicked sound coming out the back is more due to the spec of the engine combined with the SC or is the sound more because of the exhaust configuration?

Ahh.. ok, this this is not a true 8-into-1 configuration. This would be 8-to-2-to-1. I was thinking that an 8-into-1 setup like that dune buggy is pretty radical... I wonder how that sounds...

Hey Crafty!
Long time no speak - Would you say that wicked sound coming out the back is more due to the spec of the engine combined with the SC or is the sound more because of the exhaust configuration?

Id say more the exhaust config.... the single outlet tends to smooth the sound out.... mine is still standard cast iron manifolds ... im expecting it to sound even better with headers and the same single outlet.

I have some better quality video, but it was shot by a guy for a TV promo and I cant edit it so I cant cut it down small enough to post anywhere... the original is too big to post

Back