ZF Fitting

Steve

Supporter
Does anyone know what type of fitting this is on the top of the ZF transaxle (in flipped position in an SPF)? I want to put an external breather on the transaxle and I can't find what kind of fitting this is. It doesn't seem to be an NPT.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 518

Steve

Supporter
Yes, I have the breather assembly. It's "OK" but a remote breather would be better. The breather assembly tends to spit out oil too. I can't figure out what type of threads are used so I can get the appropriate 90 degree fitting. Trying to call and talk to someone at RBT is next to impossible. The phone is either busy or no one picks up.

Does anyone know what type of fitting this is on the top of the ZF transaxle (in flipped position in an SPF)? I want to put an external breather on the transaxle and I can't find what kind of fitting this is. It doesn't seem to be an NPT.

That’s just a plastic plug to fill the hole, I think. I suspect (but don’t know for a fact) that the hole is a pipe thread, same as the one used for the side filler, and the drain plug? The original GT 40/Mangusta vent fitting thing is a rather tall,elaborate-looking affair. I don’t know if RBT is making them?

Keep trying Lloyd. He is a one+man operation. He usually comes to work very early in the morning and departs by mid-afternoon, to beat traffic. He basically operates on east coast business hours.

Steve

Supporter
Perfect! Thanks Dick. Now, of course, I'm finding it a real PITA to find an M26 elbow fitting....

Steve

Supporter
So, apparently I'm a nitwit. The breather is an M26. There's a portion that screws into it that is 3/8" (removed in second photo). I took it to ACE hardware and it screws nicely into 3/8" FPT. Talked with Dennis and, sure enough, he said it's 3/8" NPT. I order a 90 degree 3/8" NPT to -AN fitting and it only screws into the breather a half turn or so and comes to a stop. It's definitely 3/8" but the thread pitch or count must be slightly different. What gives? I thought 3/8" NPT was standard. Not sure why the male fitting I removed screws into a pipe fitting at ACE no problem but the fitting I order won't screw in (other than I'm destined to drag this build into 2020).

Attachments

• IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 503

Steve

Supporter
Son of a b$@&*. I can't believe the time I've spent on this trivial item. Having said that, I've figured it out. The Breather is a 26M thread and the insert (removed in the 2nd figure above) is a 16M thread. Dennis told me it was a 3/8" thread. Might be the only thing he's ever steered me wrong on and his help is always invaluable. So, I put a 16M to -6AN converter on the breather followed by a -6AN 90 degree and a -6AN to hose fitting and I'm good to go as far as setting up a remote breather.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 404
I know this is an old thread but I'm in a similar situation. Wondering if anyone has a source on the parts needed to do what Steve did above. I'm starting from just the 26mm threaded hole in the casing, so need a way to get from 26mm (what thread pitch?) to some kind of AN fitting...

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
You could try a 3/4in BSP straigt, outside dia is 26.4mm TPI 14
Or just check with a thread gauge.
get a blind plug, drill & thread it for your AN fitting.
Morten

Thank you Morten. I had never heard of BSP thread but it seems to correspond to my existing fitting. My car actually has an RCR top plate, not a RBT, so it might be different. I pulled the fitting and it measures 25.9mm OD on the threads, so not quite 26.4, but probably close enough. It does seem to be 14 TPI though which aligns.

Luckily BSPP (parallel, not tapered) to NPT adapters seem to be available, and then NPT to AN adapters are available. I think I'll just order one and see if it fits. Thanks!

Back