ZF Fluid level??

Hi, how many quarts take the ZF trans? I want to change the fluid.

Thanks!

If you would care to look at the top of this page you will find an advert for RBT Transmissions, click on that advert & go to the FAQ section...Frequently asked Questions. There you will find on the 2nd FAQ the info you require as to how many quarts each model takes ( just make sure your talking the same lingo... Us Quarts versus English Quarts etc etc........ also recommendations on grades of oil to use....:)

If you would care to look at the top of this page you will find an advert for RBT Transmissions, click on that advert & go to the FAQ section...Frequently asked Questions. There you will find on the 2nd FAQ the info you require as to how many quarts each model takes ( just make sure your talking the same lingo... Us Quarts versus English Quarts etc etc........ also recommendations on grades of oil to use....:)

Thanks!

Chuck

Supporter
Cobra snake:

I suspect this is what you want. Not synchromesh. Note this gear lube is rated for both GL4 and GL5 by using less corrosive addatives. It is around 75W-90 as I recall and it is a synthetic. About $20 a quart. Perhaps someone can chime in regarding some conventional non syn GL4 gear oil. Seems most of what is stocked at the local parts stores is GL5, which we don't want.

Royal Purple Gear Oil

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm looking for info on what type of gearbox oil and how much.

I have looked through these threads and have pulled up the RBT FAQ section.

I have an RBT-5 DS-25/2, mounted in a SPF GT40, my question is: are my output flanges above the input shaft?

2.5 liters of oil

Or are the output flanges below the input shaft?

3.5 liters of oil

Additionally, any recommendations on the type of gearbox oil I should use.

Thanks!

Jim,
GT40 orientation is output flanges above input shaft. Look at the RBT picture in their ad on this page. 2.5 liters =2.625 US quarts, but Lloyd Butfoy says 3 qts. in his reply dated 6/2/11. I use Sta Lube GL4 80W-90 gear oil sold at NAPA stores.

Chuck,
I attended an air show/car event a few weeks ago and noticed an AMSOIL vendor there. I walked over and was surprised to see that they carried a 75W-90 transaxle specific gear lube that is API GL-4 rated. I believe he quoted me a price of $13/quart.

Tom

It's important to use GL-4 lube and not just throw in anything you happen to have lying around. Even the super-duper double-throwdown excellent gear lubes, which are designed to work in conventional transmissions and/or rear ends, aren't appropriate for a ZF.

Sta-Lube markets an 85W90 GL-4 lube, which is available at NAPA stores in one-gallon jugs.

Sta-Lube_SL24239_1_Gallon_Hypoid_GL-4_Multi_Purpose_Gear_Oil.jpg

This is what I use in my Pantera, and it works perfectly. No gimmicks.

It's important to change it every 2-3 years even if the car has received only light usage. Moisture and condensation can build up which can wreak havoc inside the gearbox. Some people change their engine oil religiously and NEVER change their gearbox oil; Lloyd Butfoy told me a gearbox came in that had been running the same oil for 30 years! It stunk up the joint so badly that they couldn't even stay in the building with it!

The gearbox was trashed inside BTW....

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Old thread but related question: anyone have blow-by issues with 2.66 qts (2.5 qts recommended) My small breather filter is located about 12" away and 4" above the trans (just a line & filter, no catch can) and get excessive blow-by exiting the breather filter. We're only talking 2/3 of a cup over the recommend level but would that be enough to cause oil exiting the breather?

Also, any opinions on Amsoil MTG 75w90 (GL-4) for a ZF?

Tim

When I first got my CAV it had some drips from the right out-put seal. I needed to check fluid levels. I did a search and got multiple different answers. I called RBT and got transferred to Lloyd the owner of RBT. Lloyd said to use "NO" additives at all! Amsoil is "Snake oil" IMO, so beware.......and do what the manufacture says. (3 qts total without any cooler or lines)

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Rich, I've had great results with Amsoil engine and trans oil in other applications so I drink their cool-aid! I choose the MTG because it's a GL4 and not the additives their GL5 Sever Gear contains. I think I'll also try it my G50 as well.

On the other issue of blow-by I discovered this interesting item adapted to my breather fitting yet I still had excessive blow-by. Again would 2/3 cup over the recommended 2.5 qts produce blow-by?

Attachments

• ZFbreather ftg.JPG
    ZFbreather ftg.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 279

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Update to my own question. After draining out 2 qts + 2 2/3 cups I refilled with 2 qts 1 3/4 cup and no blow-by. I'll add the other 1/4 cup now and post the results. Evidently 2/3 cup can make a difference.

Back