building a replica from a 3d model ?

ok i have this scale model of a car that i would like to build and drive, first thing is to get a 3d scan, second is to use the scanned data to get a full body cnc cut in foam, third is to mould the plug, whats fourth, fifth........ where can i find someone to do the work for me, building my dream car, how much would it cost ?

it's a zonda but some changes will be made to the body so scale dimensional inaccuracy is not a problem. i'm learning all i have to know before i start, i just got into college so im no expert with cars, what do i do after i get the molds ? chassis, interiors, and lighting, where do i get them ?

Basry,
If you don't have a chassis man or a doner car and do not have the know how yourself then this will be the biggest challenge in my opinion. The Chassis will be the backbone of the car and it's design and quality of build will detrmine how good the final car will be. It's not easy as you will see from some of the threads on this forum and you will need some expert technical help.
If you are building a Zonda type car and wish to push large horsepower then the chassis stiffness and suspension design will be critically important for handling and safety.
Our cars have a lot of engineering designed into them to make them safe as well as quick.
My advise would be to contact a chassis designer/builder and go from there.
Martin

Hi Basry, and Tom - thanks for the reference to my project.

As posted, what you are wanting to do is not easy or cheap, if you can't/don't want to do it yourself. Going to an expert car designer / builder will require a very large check, and that if you can find someone to take on the project, and not rip you off.

If you are determined, the most practicale approach for you might be to buy an exisiting car or kit and make a new body shell for it.

I post below some notes I made on a car building forum (LocostBuilders) about going the full scratch build route.

Cheers

Fred W B

A friend of mine who is not big on literature research is talking about starting a scratch build mid-engined full body sports/race car project, and in conversation with him I am reminded of things I have learnt during the process of my build so far.

I note below some of my thoughts on how to approach a project like this. I understand that the below is spelt out in much greater detail in various excellent books and websites and is being discussed on other threads, I post it here as a summarized version. If I had followed these recommendations when I started, I would have saved myself considerable time, hassle and expense.

When starting out at least do the following, in this order:

Decide what the car is going to look like, i.e what body shell, if not original. This also determines wheel base dimension and the width over wheels. i.e determine the wheel positions.
If original body, decide on at least the front and rear track, wheel base can be adjusted.
Decide on what tyres you will use, exact width and profile, and procure if you are serious.
Decide on what hubs/uprights/steering rack you will use and procure/make if you are serious
Decide on what rims/offset you will use and procure if you are serious
Decide on what engine and transmission you will use and procure if you are serious.
Position all above parts on garage floor or build table and sort ergonomics – where do you fit?
If you are going to draw up in cad, finalize the position of all above parts in your model only now.
All the above could be an iterative process, but please complete it BEFORE you start the chassis.

Design suspension – if you are not going to do the research to enable you to do this yourself the only options are:
Get someone else to do it for you
Copy an existing car, strictly only valid if using that cars uprights/hubs/wheels/tyres.
Guess

Once you know where the inner suspension points are, you can design the chassis, to accommodate all above. CAD / balsa model / cut and tack on build table are all valid methods, but best results would be obtained by combining them. Please do not start with a Locost chassis and try to modify it to accommodate a RWD drive train.

Cheers

Fred W B

Hi Basry, and Tom - thanks for the reference to my project.

As posted, what you are wanting to do is not easy or cheap, if you can't/don't want to do it yourself. Going to an expert car designer / builder will require a very large check, and that if you can find someone to take on the project, and not rip you off.

the 3d design is being done by a friend, however i would like for an expert to build it, do you recommend anyone ? how large a check are we talking about here ? for making the molds, frame, chassis ? sry if i sound like a noob, it's the only way i'll learn.

Back