Go Like Hell

Rumor has it that "Go Like Hell," the book by A.J. Baime, may be made into a movie. Michael Mann is said to be the producer with Brad Pitt and Josh Brolin named as drivers.

But who's going to play John Surtees and Enzo Ferrari? Who would be good as Henry? Should the foreign speakers in the movie speak their native languages with subtitles or should it all be in English? How will they straighten out the Mulsanne Straight?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I not sure about Big John, but when it comes to Enzo..............A fat old guy with not much hair, I could do that one:)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Enzo should be Al Pacino, or maybe Robert DeNiro. Only because Marlon Brando isn't around to do it. There is no shortage of good young British actors who could play Il Grande John.

The REAL question is which cars will play the real ones. They aren't going to turn a bunch of actors loose in the real cars, or in Ferrari 330P3s and P4s. So they are going to need copies of the cars, and of the competition, which is going to be interesting. I suspect SPF is going to get a big order, if this ever comes to pass....

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

But of course for the pit scenes, they will need real P4s. I wonder where they could get something that rare:)

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
. I suspect SPF is going to get a big order, if this ever comes to pass....

Did you mean RCR?: he has several of the needed models, and an existing relationship with the movie industry.... All SPF has is boring old GT40s....

Maybe there will be a dream sequence with an SLC?

I vote for John Goodman for Enzo.... (because Goodman is a really good bully; see bowling alley scenes in "The Great Lebowski".) Or, he could play "The Deuce." Or, both.

john goodman.jpg

Steve Coogan for John Surtees:

John%20Surtees.jpg
steve coogan.jpg

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Should the foreign speakers in the movie speak their native languages with subtitles or should it all be in English? How will they straighten out the Mulsanne Straight?

English, because you'll lose the 18-25 year old males with subtitles. And even so, no words with more than two syllables, and every fifth one has to have f**k as a stem.

Mulsanne Straight? -- huge buckets of CGI, the same way they'll do the rest of the movie. The whole thing will happen inside the RAM of a data center in Burbank.

Don't get your hopes up. If Hollywood has even a chance of completely shredding the elegance, romance, and historical and technical arc, they will.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,

You got that one, Mr Coogan looks just like Humungus John.

But as for Enzo, I'm with Jimbo, Pacino, DeNiro, perfect.

Keith

English, because you'll lose the 18-25 year old males with subtitles. And even so, no words with more than two syllables, and every fifth one has to have f**k as a stem.

Mulsanne Straight? -- huge buckets of CGI, the same way they'll do the rest of the movie. The whole thing will happen inside the RAM of a data center in Burbank.

Don't get your hopes up. If Hollywood has even a chance of completely shredding the elegance, romance, and historical and technical arc, they will.

And they'll put tits in it...... :shifty:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Oh, there were plenty of those back in the day, they just weren't on public view.

Who ought to be producing this is Jim Glickenhaus, who has a period Mark IV AND knows about the film business. But who's also busy with modern Ferrari race car projects...oh, well.

If they want to use my car as an extra, I'm game. Of course, she'll probably start insisting on avgas and her own director's chair....

Chuck

Supporter
Here is another angle. A block buster moview about the GT-40? Suddenly our replicas may be in serious demand . . . .

Keith

Yes but they'd have to crash and burn the cars otherwise the film would be a flop given today's dumb film audiences and Hollywoods propensity for manky movies.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just posted this on the F1 page.

I was watching F1 qualifying, they interviewed Ron Howard, the direction, he said he is working on a film about Lauda and James Hunt.

Ok who plays Lauda, who plays Hunt?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You know, I've got this wrong. 99% of the people who would see this film wouldn't know what these drivers and personalities looked like decades ago. You could get any fat old man with sunglasses and suspenders and a big nose and everyone would believe it was Enzo. No one's going to compare the actors with the old photos. What WOULD be fun is to cast all the folks from the era who are still alive as extras- have them in the crowd scenes etc, and see if we can spot them. Now THAT would be cool. I'd go to see it if I thought I'd see Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt in a bar scene....

Back