1965 Gt40p1022 Competition Racing Coupe

Attatched a few pictures of my 1965 Racing coupe GT40 1022 I have owned this since 1983 its unrestored and is still in its 1971 UK hillclimb form with one of its original 289 engines.nothing much has been changed since built in 1965 except for opening the rear arches for the wider hillclimb tires, and change to aluminum gas tanks 1n 1982 for obvious reasons..pretty much every nut and bolt is original (a time warp I am very reluctant to change so I will never restor it) more picturers in my album. or my website at GT40 1965 ford gt40 p 1022

Attachments

• 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 538
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 495
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 519
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 515
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 473
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Keith,

Congratulations. Fantastic car! It really looks beautiful! Are those wheels Lola´s? They look good too... And keep it as it is. That is what I like most.

Last edited:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

Beautiful car - thanks for sharing. What a thrill to own a piece of history!

What about the occasional chip in the paint? Do you have a close match or a painter you trust?

You have a PM.

Best,

T.

Yes wheels are 11 and 9 Magnesium Original Lola style

Congratulations. Fantastic car! It really looks beautiful! Are those wheels Lola´s? They look good too... And keep it as it is. That is what I like most.[/quote]

I presume this car was originally fitted with wire wheels? Do you still have them? Are your Lola wheels pin-drive or spline-drive?

Where (generally) are you located in California? I'd love to get a look at your car some day. :thumbsup:

Malcolm

Supporter
If the car ran hillclimbs in the UK do you have any of the results or times that the car did? Or even to say which hills the car competed on. That would be of interest to us here who may have run replica 40's up the same hills.

Nice looking car. Patina is a plus point in my books. Over restoration is not always a good thing.

Hey Keith, fantastic. What provenance! Don't you dare ever restore or change anything on this, beyond necessary maintenance. I love it.

Cheers, Dalton

I presume this car was originally fitted with wire wheels? Do you still have them? Are your Lola wheels pin-drive or spline-drive?

Where (generally) are you located in California? I'd love to get a look at your car some day. :thumbsup:

When car was delivered it had wire wheels and raced with them for a few races. it was then converted by FAV to pin drive knock ons (Halibrands )
No I dont have the wires they are long gone I have the Lola/BRM and a few of sets of Halibrands. (they also fit my 427 cobras)

Yes I have entry details/results/programes/details/articles and photographs for every race it had I am working on a section in my website with all of the information GT40 1965 ford gt40 p 1022
In 1971-2 the car was Hillclimbed by Tony Bancroft (aka Spotty smith)
my passion has always been original unrestored cars chips or patina as we like to call it is part of the history and cars like that have become very hard to find as the 80s was an over restoration period.(and I have a few of those as well.)

Some of the other cars in my collection 2 x 427 cobras/65 gt350/66 gt30 hertz/67 gt500/63 1/2 427 galaxie R model/ (and about 20 others)

If the car ran hillclimbs in the UK do you have any of the results or times that the car did? Or even to say which hills the car competed on. That would be of interest to us here who may have run replica 40's up the same hills.

Nice looking car. Patina is a plus point in my books. Over restoration is not always a good thing.

Last edited:
Hello Keith.
Wellcome to you and you fantastic #1022

Here he is, in the 1968 Vila Real (Portugal) race, sharing the 1st grid with D`Udy Lola T70 and Davis Piper`s Ferrari P3/4

ogt40na1linhadevilarealoq3.jpg

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Some of the other cars in my collection 2 x 427 cobras/65 gt350/66 gt30 hertz/67 gt500/63 1/2 427 galaxie R model/ (and about 20 others)

Incredible collection, Keith!!

I've been searching for a bubble-top 1961 Ford Starliner with a 406 tri-power/4 speed toploader and a K-Code 1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe for decades--there are none of the Starliners to be found and the available 64 Fairlanes seem to be all destined to become Thunderbolt clones (a true Thunderbolt is just too much to even dream for).

They say he who has the most toys when he dies, wins!! You may just be my new hero!

Keep that 67 GT500 original, I think every one in the U.S. has been turned into an "Eleanor" clone (If you haven't seen "Gone in 60 seconds", you may not know about Eleanor, but given your automotive acumen I'd bet a paycheck you already know what I'm talking about!).

Cheers to a true Ford enthusiast from YerDugliness!!!!

Doug,I had one of the '61 Fords but with the small port 292.I've never seen or heard of the 406c.i. tri-power option,which was obviously available in '62.All I know of was a 401 hp option.Do you have pictures or a factory brochure w/this info?I'd love to see it but do not want to muddy up this thread - possibly in a PM. And Keith - don't change a thing.Absolutely beautiful machine. A.J.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have totally ruined the shirt I'm wearing with drool....

Welcome to GT40s Keith... Thank you for sharing the information and pictures of your beautiful GT....

I'd love to look over your collection someday!!!

Many thanks
My love of GT40s started in the mid 60s when I went to LeMans every year to watch them and then in 1968 and 69 to watch the obsolete gt40s of JW Gulf (compared to those new porsches) out run and out live them and put them on there trailers was awe inspiring and the most memoral GT40 days ever as anyone there on those days will remeber.I was hooked it took me 12 years to find and buy one I was happy with.
GT500 is unrestored except I rebuilt engine. lots of chips and cracks but very very nice and goes like a bat outa hell.beleive it or not back in the early 90s when I bought it before Elenor it was not very desirable viva gone in 60 seconds.

Incredible collection, Keith!!

I've been searching for a bubble-top 1961 Ford Starliner with a 406 tri-power/4 speed toploader and a K-Code 1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe for decades--there are none of the Starliners to be found and the available 64 Fairlanes seem to be all destined to become Thunderbolt clones (a true Thunderbolt is just too much to even dream for).

They say he who has the most toys when he dies, wins!! You may just be my new hero!

Keep that 67 GT500 original, I think every one in the U.S. has been turned into an "Eleanor" clone (If you haven't seen "Gone in 60 seconds", you may not know about Eleanor, but given your automotive acumen I'd bet a paycheck you already know what I'm talking about!).

Cheers to a true Ford enthusiast from YerDugliness!!!!

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 409
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 466
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 386
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 453
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 377
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Keith, it's a lovely old car. Kudos to you for keeping it as it was. They are only original once. And a fine collection around it as well. You're a fortunate chap- thanks for sharing these with us.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Is that Ford on the lift in photo 5.jpg an R-Code Galaxie?

I almost lost my cookies when I saw it, then realized it wasn't a Thunderbolt Fairlane....

BTW, it's now official, you're my new hero!

Doug

Yes an all original 63 1/2 Rangoon red,bucket seat,R model street car(not lightweight). you could buy these off the showroom floor if you were quick enough.
Thanks for looking
keith

Great collection, and it brings back lots of memories. When I was in 9th grade my older sister was a senior in high school. I guess this was 1968. Her boyfriend had a galaxy 500 ('64 I think) with the 427, four speed, and a convertible. He went away to college to the University of Idaho and I never saw the car again. Her next boyfriend, whom she married had a '67 shelby gt500, (british racing green, I think, with black stripes. What an absolute awesome car, the car would burn rubber in 4th gear. He eventually sold that car and bought a '65 aston martin db5 convertible.

What great memories.

Back