24h du Le Mans 2006

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dates : Night Qualifying Wednesday/Thursday 14/15thJune
Drivers and Car parades - Centre de ville 16th June
24hr from 16:00 hrs 17th. June
My location : First bungalow on the right on entering the Aeroport du Le Mans. (Beer and nosh on Friday night - open invitation for -40 guys [and ladies]).

I believe there is also a "Classic" in 2006 but I don't have the dates to hand. Can somebody advise?
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Tony. Amazingly that is a weekend free of F1, MotoGP and DTM. Could be a lot of fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dave M

On Friday, stop off at the "Classic British Welcome" in Saint Saturnin.

http://www.classicbw.org/uk/index.php

The town of Saint Saturnin is a few miles north of Le Mans on the N138 (also known as "Route des Anglais", the main road leading from the ferries in the north to Le Mans). A few miles south of the center of Le Mans, N138 becomes part of the Le Mans circuit.

They have food, music, movies, a free car wash, and a place to buy tickets for Le Mans (you can't buy them at the circuit).

In 2005, they had about 900 cars visit on Friday and Saturday. The featured marque was Lotus, so there were 200-300 Lotuses there.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Any body going for the main event?
The new Audi is called the R10 - Outwardly v similar to the R8 but running on synthetic diesel.
Should be an interesting (and hopefully very rainy) race. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Andy,
We are transferring direct from Le Mans to Montreal so our kit is being safeguarded at Le Mans until it's picked up again after Indy and goes to Magny Cours for the French Gp. Other RaceMet staff at Le Mans will hopefully be celebrating on the Sunday evening with Tom Kristensen and Joest before returning to the UK on Monday 19th June. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Quite a busy season this year so no real time for posing in a GTD.I can see a gap in a about 7 years from now !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
But I may take the Ducati 999 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gifas a paddock runabout/pit scooter !!! Just in case the radios malfunction
and an Urgent message needs to be taken into the garage. hint hint. AND to keep a check on Joest's men to make sure they are doing it correctly and thereby watching the race
on the prat perch for a while before visiting the Audi 5* complex for a spot of dinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif then back to the radar trailer for a quick spell on duty. Life's a bitch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just to whet (wet) appetites, this was Dindo in the R8 a couple of years back.

Attachments

• 73468-dindo.jpg
    73468-dindo.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 634
Dave,
Sadly I can't make it this year to a good friend's wedding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

BTW when are we going to meet up again, haven't seen you for ages... a good glass of Barolo is on the cards me feels.

Brett

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I'm afraid I cannot drink one glass of Barolo. I need three of four at the very least. It's either that or Kanonkopf...
Any time, Brett, before the season kicks off. (40 days ish from now) Then I'm scheming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bandito.gif and thinking about ways to get back more Barolo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Probably the main reason I go to Imola and Monza..............

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Audi Sport have announced their drivers for the R10 for Sebring and 24h du Le Mans 2006. If you are a betting man and you are quick, you may still get reasonable odds on the 24h prior to Sebring at William Hill.
Personally I would bet on Audi 1st and 2nd at the 24h and also another bet on how many laps in the lead.(I think 12).
Drivers will be:
Frank Biela (D)
Dindo Capello (I)
Tom Kristensen (DK)
Allan McNish (GB)
Emanuele Pirro (I)
Marco Werner (D)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just in. Audi Board have made their decision:

Ingolstadt, 25 February 2006

Audi competes with TDI power in the USA

Two Audi R10 prototypes in the American Le Mans Series
Works comeback for Audi in the ALMS
Team from Audi Sport North America

The AUDI AG motorsport programme for the 2006 season extends beyond the DTM and the 24 Hours of Le Mans: Audi will also contest the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) with the new R10 diesel sportscar during the second half of the season. As a result, Audi returns to the world’s most popular sportscars series at a factory level.

The Audi R10, which is powered by a V12 TDI engine with almost 650 hp, celebrates its eagerly awaited race debut on the 18 March at Sebring (USA). The 12-hour race in Florida acts as a test race for the 24 Hours of Le Mans on 17/18 June and is also the opening race of the 2006 American Le Mans Series, in which Audi Sport, Team Joest and Champion Racing will cooperate closely.

After the premiere at Sebring the two Audi R10 prototypes will be flown back to Europe to be prepared for the season’s highpoint at Le Mans on June 17/18. Afterwards, Audi Sport North America will contest the remaining six ALMS races, starting with the Grand Prix of Utah on 15 July on the new circuit near Salt Lake City, with two R10 prototypes and the support of Champion Racing.

At the three ALMS races between Sebring and Salt Lake City the Audi Sport North America squad relies once again on the well proven Audi R8, which has already recorded 61 wins from 77 races.

Audi have already competed with a factory team in the ALMS between 2000 and 2002. Audi of America continued its involvement in the following three years with importer teams and celebrated sixth successive ALMS championship titles.

"The main reason for developing the Audi R10 was to compete at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, as we want to be the world’s first automobile manufacturer to win with a diesel engine,” says Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "From the very beginning it was however our intention to enter the R10 in every racing series based on Le Mans. The USA is an extremely important market in which the subject ’Diesel’ is currently coming in vogue. The ALMS programme with the R10 is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate the capabilities of the Audi TDI engines in America.”

"Audi of America is looking forward to our seventh season of participation in the American Le Mans Series,” added Johan de Nysschen, executive vice-president of Audi of America. "The R8 success was very instrumental in building awareness for Audi technology and performance and we hope the R10 will achieve the same success. With Audi Sport, Joest and Champion we have the ideal partners for a successful season.”

2006 American Le Mans Series schedule
18/03 Sebring (USA) R10
12/05 Houston (USA) R8
21/05 Mid-Ohio (USA) R8
01/07 Lime Rock (USA) R8
15/07 Salt Lake City (USA) R10
22/07 Portland (USA) R10
20/08 Road America (USA) R10
03/09 Mosport (CDN) R10
30/09 Petit Le Mans, Road Atlanta (USA) R10
21/10 Laguna Seca (USA) R10

Communication Motorsport
Telephone +49 (0)841 89 xxxxxx,Telefax +49 (0)841 89 xxxxx
[email protected]

Photographs, sound bites and additional information available on the Internet:
www.audi-motorsport.info (Accreditation necessary)

Dave, 999 eh. Get out on it much ?
Belong to any ducati clubs, such as ducatisportingclub.com ?
If so, maybe see you out on a ride some time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barolo. What a fine taste in wine you have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif (couldn't see a wine glass graemlin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Cheers,
John.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
John,
No clubs I'm afraid. Time is not on my side during the summer months and I don't go out in the cold. Where are you located in Surrey?
Yes - it's a Barolo evening here tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif- like every evening. Getting low on stock so I have to go out on the road again. Costco have a 2002 (not great but OK at £6.50 +vat which could be good for laying down. good 1999/ and better 2000 about £16 and £18 respectively. I will need to get out and sell my body (again) ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
"schedule aint lookin good". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif
Sort it out Rob. This is not a rehearsal.
It's real time and when you get to the top of the seniority list and have turned over every stone, you will have forgotten who you are and what you've done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
My heart agrees one hundred percent. The wisdom is hard to argue, but my conscience (aka wife) struggles with the logic (or lack there of). Yet another fork in the road of life....decisions decisions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Rob, very easy decision. Change wife... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif hmmmmmmmmmm something to consider...thanks Pete.

Now, in further consideration, she may have a point, in that if my behaviour causes the loss of both job and wife... I not only have post marrital expenses, but have no job for which to pay them or my need for speed addiction. Life can pose difficult decisions.....

Back