1200 BHP superformance!

lovely scary power almost...
wonder how long such engine lives....
and if you down-tune it to lets say 650hp it could be pretty reliable when its made for more then 1000hp.

Keith

How on earth can you get a rolling road water brake dyno to measure those kind of numbers without the car breaking loose on the rollers especially on street (sticker) tyres?

Personally... I don't get it :huh:

I think I might have wanted more than 2 slack lengths of webbing to tie it down in any event, even if it was producing 1/2 that power.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, as mentioned, it is a Ricardo out of a Ford GT. They decided that the ZF he had originally wouldn't handle the engine.

The car belongs to a friend/workmate of mine. He rode in my car and decided that was what he wanted, but his goal/dream was to have a car with more than 1000hp.

He's got it!

They _did_ have problems getting the tires to stick to the rollers. But they smoked them a few times and got them to stick enough for a decent run.

As you may have noted, that is with pump gas and no ice in the intercooler. He wants to try it later with higher octane gas and ice.

By the way, he wants to use it as a daily driver and it does have a stereo and an iPod docking station in it!
:shocked:

FWIW,
Kirby

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Kirby,

No fans in front of radiator, radiator fans not running during the pulls?

How could he avoid overheating?

What is and who built the engine did the fab and install?

Pretty impressive.

Steve

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Steve,

The fans are just like my car (2155). They are sucker fans behind the radiator. None in front of the radiator that I know of.
I would imagine they are turning, otherwise, he would definitely overheat.

The dyno pull link I saw didn't show the fans... and the video where I can see the fans are when he first started it on the lift. (I like the lift, by the way... A Rotary low profile. Same as mine!:thumbsup:)

The engine is a Keith Craft 427. The fab (all custom) and install are all associated with Dallas Performance in Dallas.

If you need more info than that, I'll have to ask Alf, the owner!
:laugh:

But yeah... it does sound pretty healthy!

Kirby

Kirby,

No fans in front of radiator, radiator fans not running during the pulls?

How could he avoid overheating?

What is and who built the engine did the fab and install?

Pretty impressive.

Steve

Kirby,

My SPF GT40 has a potent 440" engine which delivers 630hp via 14" wide Avons. I have to pedal thru the first 3 gears because the tires will spin under full throttle.

If I can barely use the 630hp I've got in my car, how on earth will your friend ever get to use all that power he's paid for?

Anyway, with all that power and the Ricardo transaxle's tall gearing, he'll certainly be capable of an impressive top speed. Is that his aim?

Jack

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Impressive. That should be a 220+ mph car if he can keep it on the ground....

I have been an opponent of a smaller engine in my car for a long time, just like Jack tire spin is useless and will eat your lunch. With the old Yokohama tires you could feel the tires skip under full throttle acceleration in 4th doing 100 MPH+. Till the Avons I was ready to start shopping for a smaller motor. I still have moments of terror on cold days when the tires are cold and engine is running stronger. Kirby and I have talked about this car for sometime, I am not so sure that it will ever be put to its potential, but more or less something to talk about and is there. It is remarkable to fit all that under the rear deck.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Each to his own, I guess... I don't have that much HP and first and second get loose at full throttle, but I have to say the 335 x 17 Michelins I am using on the street (Alf has the same tires and wheels... he keeps asking me what I did to my car) are pretty good.

I'm sure that on the street he cannot/will not use a 'digital' right foot. It obviously won't do anything but smoke the tires...

He told me everyone is pressing him to go to the Texas Mile, so that's what they are aiming for. I think Lance is showing up at that event also. Official delivery of the car is in March sometime. They have quite a bit more work to do.

FWIW,
Kirby

Kirby,

My SPF GT40 has a potent 440" engine which delivers 630hp via 14" wide Avons. I have to pedal thru the first 3 gears because the tires will spin under full throttle.

If I can barely use the 630hp I've got in my car, how on earth will your friend ever get to use all that power he's paid for?

Anyway, with all that power and the Ricardo transaxle's tall gearing, he'll certainly be capable of an impressive top speed. Is that his aim?

Jack

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
An SPF is typically quoted at around 2400lbs. With the addition of the Ricardo and all that custom stuff, I'd imagine he's close to 2700 or so?
I've asked and he's going to find out.

But, as you say.... with that HP, who cares?

Kirby

What does the Superformance weigh? Not that it would make a difference with that HP!

I am reminded of a bunch of Japanese engineers who showed up at a local drag strip years ago with a 1000 hp 300zx twin turbo, it made a lot of wooshing noises but did nothing but smoke the tires.
450 hp will push these cars way beyond their hull speed, I have to ask as well, what is the point?
I love horse power as much as the next guy but I prefer a car that can be driven quickly, with the ability to put the power down in a useful and predictable manner.
I know guys that are building aircraft using auto engines making that kind of power but they are looking at 500 MPH and that makes sense to me.
However, it is an interesting technical exercise and the engine can always be taken out and placed on a shelf and something usable put back into the chassis.
IMHO
Dave

Great for bragging rights, but other than that, I don't see the point. My Roush 427 makes more horsepower than I need.

Mike

Back