15" racing tires - which are the best for the track?

I would like to use the VN427 rims from Vintage-Wheels in 15x8 and 15x12 for my MK IV project.
Maybe I can buy turbine wheels at RCR

The car is for track use only.
Unfortunately, there is little space in the front of the wheel house. Therefore I am looking for relatively low, not too wide tires.

So far I have found only Dunlop CR65:
475/1000/15
530/1360/15
Do you know maybe alternatives - What do you use in 15" on the track?

If it's racing tires you're looking for, then I may point you towards (removed by moderator). They have racing tires, tires for SUVs, tires for trucks, etc. They are all manufactured by the top brands as well, so you can be sure that you'll get your money's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil

Supporter
Here are pictures of a 15" Hoosier tire on a Jongbloed modular wheel. They are not slicks; their tread pattern reminds me of the old Dunlop Green Spots.

Attachments

• IMG_20210310_170431553_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210310_170431553_HDR.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_20210310_170443955_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210310_170443955_HDR.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 535

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Here are pictures of a 15" Hoosier tire on a Jongbloed modular wheel. They are not slicks; their tread pattern reminds me of the old Dunlop Green Spots.

They look great, it's a very hard compound, but it appears Hoosier is overstocked and currently having a blowout sale for $60 a tire on that size!

Neil

Supporter
They look great, it's a very hard compound, but it appears Hoosier is overstocked and currently having a blowout sale for $60 a tire on that size!
Yes, that's what I paid ... and only $15 for shipping - 2 tires! A real bargain.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Tread reminds me of the tread on Mickey Thompson tires from decades ago. :confused:

Ian Clark

Supporter
The Dunlop CR65's are hard to beat. They are much lighter than modern than steel belt radials, have a compound that doesn't heat cycle like some track day DOT tires plus they are period correct. CR65s on a good friends car. Mixed use, mostly street with some lapping days.

Cheers
Ian
CAV GT40 s1.jpg

I run Dunlops 600/1200/15 cr65 rear and 430/1160/15 cr65 front . As Ian stated they don't have a problem with heat cycling and they wear surprisingly well .
IMG_2147.JPG
I am ready for another set and would not consider getting any others

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Jim, the Dunlop CR65s are bias ply, non belted, treaded tires. They are four ply, have the correct vintage tread pattern, FIA recognized for vintage racing (in some series the mandated tire). They are not DOT rated, if that's an absolute, sorry... good enough for LeMans but not to the 7-Eleven

Cheers
Ian

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Jim, the tires work fine on the road. Like all wide tires they are sensitive to ruts in the road from heavy vehicles. Being a bias ply tire they will flat spot if left stationary on the car for months at a time. The Dunlop CR65s were apparently E marked for Europe a few years ago. You'll probably save 80 pounds per set set in unsprung weight over conventional steel belt radials, also a good thing. There are no rub ridges on the sidewall to protect from curbs, just a heads up.

Cheers
Ian

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I looked at the Hoosier tire and it has durometer of 62 which is akin to a regular street tire like a Toyo RA1, I'd have no hesitation in using them on the street given many of the recommendations in the discussion are pure race tires. I could get a set of front and wider rear for $325 delivered, that is an amazing deal considering I just shelled out $2300 for set of Avons in similar sizes.

Back