1UZFE for Superlite Coupe - Ideas?

Ron Earp

Admin
Heck, I thought this thread was for discussing engine choices. I missed the title of the thread, which is for the Toyota engine. My apologies for dragging it off topic.

Tim it sounds like your trying to justify the choices you've made by attacking other peoples decisions.

People building their own cars are apt to make very individual decisions and in the end people use what they use for their own reasons and they largely DGAS what others think about it. If we didn't we we wouldn't be building our own cars in the first place.

For what its worth when my 1UZ-FE arrived on the pallet the weight from the shipping co was 220Kg, including the pallet and everything from the airbox to the cats and the electronics.[/QUOTE

My Question was answered. The Tilte says"1UZFE for Superlite Coupe- Idea's" The guy now has an LS3 engine for his project.

Fran has built a modern car with great features, why put a 20 year old engine in it. My choice of engine for my car came down to registration requirements in Western Australia, as simple as that. I had to have a modern engine (Current series engine, 5 years old) that will pass emission testing with a supercharger fitted. That is the reason why people are using LS or Ford Modular engines in GT40s being built in Australia.

If I am attacking people buy asking a true cost of an engine then yes I am. People read these forums to get idea's and make choices. I am asking to build up a 1UZFE engine? what is the finally overall cost? Doug you are using a used Toyota engine, by the time its up and running how much extra money would you have spent on it, what will its performance be? Did you have to change sumps? Did you run the factory EFI. All I get is the engine cost me $1500 dollars what a bargin, etc...

And for what it is worth the best "Air Pump Sound" is a Mazda 20B engine

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
[/QUOTE

My Question was answered. The Tilte says"1UZFE for Superlite Coupe- Idea's" The guy now has an LS3 engine for his project.

Fran has built a modern car with great features, why put a 20 year old engine in it. My choice of engine for my car came down to registration requirements in Western Australia, as simple as that. I had to have a modern engine (Current series engine, 5 years old) that will pass emission testing with a supercharger fitted. That is the reason why people are using LS or Ford Modular engines in GT40s being built in Australia.

If I am attacking people buy asking a true cost of an engine then yes I am. People read these forums to get idea's and make choices. I am asking to build up a 1UZFE engine? what is the finally overall cost? Doug you are using a used Toyota engine, by the time its up and running how much extra money would you have spent on it, what will its performance be? Did you have to change sumps? Did you run the factory EFI. All I get is the engine cost me $1500 dollars what a bargin, etc...

And for what it is worth the best "Air Pump Sound" is a Mazda 20B engine[/QUOTE]

Originally, I really wanted to do the TT 1UZ - no matter the cost. The engine was inexpensive ($750), the control system ....not so inexpensive ($3500 - IIRC), and then came the turbos and the tweaking. I think a TT 1UZ would be VERY cool! However, a tornado destroyed our home and after that I was looking for something that would be relatively inexpensive and provide reliable power. The LS3 fit the bill.

Dave L

Hi Tim,

Slightly off topic...

The WA emmsions requirements at the moment are any ones guess but with a basically new engine, yes you won't have any issues.
I'm also fairly certain with little cost my 1UZ-FE will also pass whatever the regulations of the day eventually are.

Obviously I dont know your background or where you're getting your advice from but if you're building a car in WA I'd suggest joining the The Sports Car Builders Club as its the only org out the fighting the corner of ICV builders with the DPI etc.

Hi Doug,
The project I am working on is a modified Holden HZ cab and chassis with Corvette ZO6 running gear. I am up to date with the emissions and I no what is needed. My project isn't a ICV so I have to meet the reg's. Point taken that your 1UZ engine will pass emissions tests as a standard engine, not modified with aftermaket ECU, cams etc...

I will build one of Frans cars, but it will be a GT40.

Lets take a view of if you started your project today in 2010 would you still use the 1UZ?, or would you be tempted by a LS motor for $800 (Quokka price) or even the Nissan 350Z / 370Z engine which rates highly and even has a turbo version in Japan.

I went threw this last year to find an engine for my racecar. Looked at 1UZ, BMW V8, Mercedes V8 and even the Nissan V6 and an Audi V8. The LS engine was there, but in the end the engine that ticked all the boxes was the Subaru EJ20 Turbo.

Attachments

• Firsttest003.jpg
    Firsttest003.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 626
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 942
Tim,

If I'd found and LS1 in the Quokka for $800 I'd have bought it.
But the ones I found at the time were 5X that price. Also the Audi 012 trans I'm using won't take the torque of the LS1 anyway so that would have to be another unit, the one I have was A$1500 in my hand in Perth again less than 1/2 the price I think I'd pay for G50 or similar.

I'm happy with the 1UZ though it ticks the right tech boxes for me, it is a current engine essentially bar the VVTI on them now, the earlier ones are actually better due to stronger con rods and the 6 bolt bottom end will take huge abuse. In time I will buy another and build it to be a NA screamer I hope, but that’s a few years down the road.

Jim,

WA is an anomaly in Aus in regards emissions and the situation is currently in a big state of flux, which I don't really want to go into here, by the end of the year it should be sorted though. None of that helps you in NSW, I do think that there is a lot of rubbish talked about what will and will not pass emissions though. And probably out of sheer bloody mindedness I get my engine through the test whatever the requirement.

So if someone was building a SLC any where in the World what are the engine options that will meet the emissions? Seeing people can take 2 to 3 years to finish a car, do they have to use a late model engine so they avoid these problems.

Doug quote
WA is an anomaly in Aus in regards emissions and the situation is currently in a big state of flux, which I don't really want to go into here, by the end of the year it should be sorted though. None of that helps you in NSW, I do think that there is a lot of rubbish talked about what will and will not pass emissions though. And probably out of sheer bloody mindedness I get my engine through the test whatever the requirement.[/QUOTE]

I agree Doug

I just put mine through Euro 4 (79/02 type 2).this is 1/2 the euro 4 figures.
I did the fabrication side and a good friend worked on the tune side basically a joint effort.
It can be done we passed on the 2nd go, the first was to get a bench mark to see how much work was estimated to pass.
The reason I asked year model on engine is the older the design the harder it is due to cams ,comp ratio,piston ring height ect ect.
Get it through while they are trying to figure it out.
Good luck, its a hurdle.

Tim
In NSW the law to my knowledge is an eng no more than 3 years old if Australian, as fitted in the factory including ECU requires no test.
Older for USA engines but other things apply.
If it were me I would buy a dunger engine and build the car around that then do the engine last.
I used an eng from the USA but because of the build time it fell into this 10 year rule of requiring an IM240 emissions test.
This took about 3-4 days of fabrication and estimated 30-40 hrs of dyno work on an IM240 simulation.
Every country every state has there own twist on this, it must make it hard for ICV manufacturers to please all.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, mine is easier because of the age of the car. I got the approval for the LS6 engine with the Supercharger. The HZ chassis is considered a commercial vehicle. I am just ticking all the boxes for registration purposes for when it comes time to sell the car. Jim if I need the engine to be less than 3 years old then I'm lucky my 2008 Caprice was written off in the Perth Storms. I am going to by it back from the insurance company. The car had a LS2 to LS3 engine swap.

Attachments

• Photo0091.jpg
    Photo0091.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 510
  • Photo0092.jpg
    Photo0092.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 397
Thank God the OP isn't using a UZ engine! The LS family offers way more options, better performance, and at a lower cost. The street UZ's were never meant to be a performane engines.

Many don't even know what the engine code stands for:

1UZ-FE
1 = the generation of engine, there are 3.
UZ = designates the V8 family of engnes.
F = narrow head, less agrresive angles, for fuel economey.
E = electronic injection.

Australian emissions rules are standardising to ADR 37/01 for ICV's, which means 1999 onwards Aussie engines and being based off a US emissions standards means a lot older US engines, early 90's and older.

A number of factors influenced this.

NSW changed back to 37/01 months ago.

VIC is just changing back to 37/01.

All states in Australia are 37/01 now.

Now that really opens up the engine options and engine modifications, especially for the states that have emissions testing facilities.

1UZ with 8 TB's Race Cams heavy duty valve springs haltech E11 and side pipes on an AC Cobra Replica approx 330RWHP

Beautiful engine!

Attachments

• chris_005.jpg
    chris_005.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 773
Australian emissions rules are standardising to ADR 37/01 for ICV's, which means 1999 onwards Aussie engines and being based off a US emissions standards means a lot older US engines, early 90's and older.

A number of factors influenced this.

NSW changed back to 37/01 months ago.

VIC is just changing back to 37/01.

All states in Australia are 37/01 now.

Now that really opens up the engine options and engine modifications, especially for the states that have emissions testing facilities.

That is interesting I was made to pass (79/02 type 2) about 6 weeks ago,that is 1/2 the euro 4 readings.
If what you are saying is correct we did a lot of work for nothing because 39/01 would have been a walk in the park.

Jim

Hmmmm !

Guess I'm lucky living on the coast of WA state.
Here in Grays Harbor county we have No emissions testing !
Not that I have ever known of, or maybe just not yet !
In the past I've heard of someone finding an address here to show on title,
but still living in lets say Seattle or somewhere.
But that would be dishonest wouldn't it ? ;-)

Cheer's !

Back