260Z Dyno Plot

Ron Earp

Admin
Make sure you look at the GCR. A full tube frame would kick the car out of IT where I race and into production. However, in production the rules are very specific for how the frame must be constructed and you'll need to get with a production frame builder to get the tips on how to do it right if you want the car to be competitive. No sense in building a non-competitive car!

I did just notice that VIR Collection has their 240z Prod car up for sale - looks very nice and it can turn 2:10s at VIR, a decent laptime for the North course. Price was right at $20k and it could not be built for that.

Another thought - if you are building a turb frame car and mimic what goes on in production you won't need the 240 at all - frame is built, panels are laid up, you may only need the floor pan - I'm not sure as I am not a production guy but for sure you could get away with a whole lot less than a entire car.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
I know a lot of you guys race so this is old hat, but there might be some out there that get some enjoyment out of it. Below is a link to a race video (low res right now, still making it) with me driving our 260Z rental warrior at Virginia International Raceway(VIR). Keep in mind I suck, but there are two people that tried to get around me in the race that didn't succeed, as shown on the second lap (the only lap viewable). My car, 4, is the Z while the 39 Miata is our company spec Miata. Top speed on the straight is about 138-141 according to RPM and calculations, but that is plenty for those brakes!

It is a Quicktime movie (I know, I hate them too) right at the moment and you will definitely want to increase size since the initial concept movie is so small. If you right click and choose "Save As" you'll be able to make it larger, if you just click on it I think you are stuck with a tiny size

260Z Movie

Ron

Certainly no point in building a non-competitive car!

I don't think I want to be limited by the production rules though. I'll probably just find the class that closest fits what I already intend to build and adjust my ideas accordingly... even if it is a very competitive class and I get my butt handed to me every time I go out... ; )

Hey all, I haven't been on here in awhile... been busy working on a new toy!

Yes, for those interested I did pick up a 1973 Datsun 240-Z. I just bought a rolling shell... nothing but a body and enough suspension to hold the wheels on. Hey, what do you want for $150!

Anyway, I've started the bodywork. Thought you might like to see how it is coming... most notably, I gave the car a "chop" job to lower the roofline. Can you believe that in stock form the 240-Z has a .46 drag coefficient?!

Pics of the finished chop top can be found at http://www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/Project_Racer-Zroof4.html

Now, I'm preparing to lay up the understructure to begin my moldless fiberglass construction (giving the car some fatter fenders and quarter panels). Then, it is on to building the custom spaceframe!

I've decided to screw legality for SCCA purposes at this point... I just want to build something fun and go do some Open Road Racing.

Back