48 IDA FROM CHINA

Ed McClements

Supporter
@Jazz Cut up a set of Chinese IDAs to make his own ITBs...and I think he said that the quality of the die castings was surprisingly good.

Had some Chinese Weber 38DGAS (€70 with free shipping) and they work fine.
Inspected them inside out & compared them to the genuine version and couldn't find any differences. Sold some to my customers and never had a complain.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You could use them, but why?

This China thing has to stop somewhere. Please stop buying their stuff.

Mini rant over...

If Webers are still being manufactured in Italy, I am/was not aware.
As far as I know, if you want a new Weber IDA or IDF, it's going to come from China.
I sure as heck am not happy about it either - but if you have to have New Webers, your country of origin is most likely going to be China.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Weber carbs have been manufactured in Spain since 1992. You can still get genuine IDA or IDF Webers.
I don’t know why I typed Italy when I was thinking Spain. I sit corrected. Where does someone purchase the new originals these days? When I spoke to Redline a few years ago, the person on the phone that wanted to take my order did not know the country of origin for sure...

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I wonder if Jim Inglese uses Weber bodies or Chinese for his EFI conversions. Either way his Weber EFI set up is beautiful

You could use them, but why?

This China thing has to stop somewhere. Please stop buying their stuff.

Mini rant over...
Just curious where the components of your phone and/or computer were made? AFIK, new "IDA webers" aren't even being manufactured.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Since the Webers started to be made in Spain the quality has dropped. I recently rebuilt some 44IDFs and was surprised at the quality of some of the castings as they were very rough. Some of the main venturis were so bad that I suggested the owner bought some new ones. When they showed up they were just as bad. I spent a lot of time smoothing out the main and the auxiliary venturis to get them into some sort of shape so they could work correctly and have smooth airflow through them. I, at the same time, did some original Italian 48 IDAs and they were very nicely made. This accounts for the prices of the original Italian carbs being what they are. I know which ones I would want.
I have not had a look at the chinese "Webers" so I can't comment on the build quality. The VW Beetle guys seem to be into using the 48 IDA clones.
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
Pics of the poorly cast venturis on the 44 IDFs.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_130741826.jpg
    IMG_20200214_130741826.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20200212_153031075.jpg
    IMG_20200212_153031075.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20200211_125211955.jpg
    IMG_20200211_125211955.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20200211_124335177.jpg
    IMG_20200211_124335177.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 327

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Agree with you Mike ^
IMHO the later Italian 48 IDAs are not too hot either so I wonder about those Iberian versions.

I bought two NOS Bologna ones a while ago as spares and at that time I thought everything looked good and put them away.
Last year I got them out to change out the jets and put better gaskets in, only to find the castings were identical but the top fuel pump jets were made from Mazac with a press fit silicon ring arrangement to locate them into the casting and I was expecting the more original brass nozzle/banjo screw type.
When I checked, the throttle cams were not identical and also pinned in a different orientation on the spindles.
The venturis also had a different fin arrangement.
I could go on but anyhow these were dissimilar to my 1970 set so I went about "upgrading" them by fitting old style spindles and boring the tops out to take threaded inserts for the traditional brass pump jets.

So really it's a minefield and I would not recommend buying old used ones either unless you have proof that the internal are good and clean.
Original replacement parts for the old ones are rare and expensive - look at the price of the original style studs and simple M5 nuts for example.

I will say that the vintage set that Doc Watson has are to die for and you only get what you pay for :)

P2150001 (1024x834).jpg

Back