930 LSD oil? What is the proper to use?

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Dropped by the Porsche dealer today to pick up the diff lube, but they only had a quart and were not exactly very helpful...just go get some lube at schucks they said. Probably ok, but figured I would ask you guys what you think...anything special for LSD or what?

One other quick question...I'm running a remote cooler...Is there an internal pump pushes the oil through the cooler?

Last edited:
A remote cooler needs an external pump. I'm using a Tilton 40-525 pump with bypass feeding the gearbox and Setrab cooler. Gear oil should be dinosaur oil as the synthetics are too slick. I'm using Swepco 210 with no LSD additive.

Anyone care to chime in?

Sweepco gets the nod by Porsche people. My old 911 runs mobile transmission oil, and it works OK. My car doesn't have an LSD.

Dom

Sweepco is the one. There is also some kind of green lube that comes in a tube that is added to LSD Trans if my failing memeory is of any use. I will post later if I can recall. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Garry

Update from Rennlist web-site...
"Here's what the Paragon website says about it:
75W90 Gear Oil - recommended for most street driven and racing differentials. Excellent performance in conventional and limited-slip units. Also for limited-slip manual transaxles which require a 90 WT oil. Contains limited-slip friction modifiers.

put a little bottle of Redline limited slip additive in there and you'll be fine. I think it's a waste to drain perfectly good gear oil that you just put in. It'll take a few miles of driving to work itself in, and then you'll be good to go. FWIW we use Lubri-Moly 75W-90 in all G50-based gearboxes (as well as in Boxsters/996s) and put on the Redline additive if it is LSD. Your Valvoline which is 75W-90 and GL5 rated will be fine, just get the Redline next time if you must.
I decided to go with Delvac 1 75w90. It's available from www.lufteknic.com."

As always, go to the Rennlist site for great answers on anything Porche. By the way, Pete Zimmerman is the man to look for if you have Porche questions IMHO.
Garry

We recommend the Swepco 210 for the 930, and I would not worry about any kind of LSD additive. I would highly recommend a transaxle cooler and pump though, as heat is going to be the biggest killer, especially with a LSD installed.

I would happy to help you with this, should you have any questions as to the mounting and machine work to install a cooler in and out, as well as the cooler and pump. We also stock the Swepco products.

Happy to help and good luck.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Back