A New GT40 replica is Coming - Superformance

HEY JEFF, GREAT IDEAS, BUT YOU REALLY NEED TO SEE AN ORIGINAL SIZE GT-40. THEN COMPARE IT TO THE NEW 2005 FORD GT THAT YOU SAW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hi Jeff, I enjoyed your post but with all due respect you really don't want a GT40. By the time you finished doing all those things the car would essentially be unrecognizable as such. Part of the character of a GT40 and a large part of its' appeal is the bare-bones, visceral, loud, immediate feel of the car. The things you want are not part of the package, and past a certain point, detract from it quite a lot.
There are sports cars, though, that have all those comforts, and go fast in the bargain. Corvettes do all that, and I imagine Vipers do too. Even better would be an Acura NSX- and they all come with those sorts of accessories designed in from the beginning. Better to do that than try to make a GT40 into something it was never intended to be.
Of the three I mentioned, I like the Acura the best- they are fast, reliable, you don't see them everywhere, they don't break, and they are handsome cars, with several styling cues that are somewhat similar to a GT40. Nothing looks as good as a GT40, if you ask me, but the NSX is a pretty nice car. And it has power windows, etc etc.

Jeff, you don't want a kit car or an original GT 40, you want the new 2004 Ford GT. Lots of luck getting one, Wayne

Jeff,

I have to agree with the above comments. If you love the look of the GT40, but want a modern, usable car save for a new Ford GT. Any current GT40 replica is going to be a bit raw for your wife to want to spend much time in. My guess is that the new Superformance car will be the same. There are a lot of great sports cars out there, but the idea of the GT40s is getting close to the experience of driving a race car on the street. I've spent a fair bit of wheel time in a Lynx Jaguar D type replica and while an E type is wonderful and much more comfortable, the Lynx is a lot more potent and entertaining to be in for an hour or two. I personally hope the Superformance car is as close to the original as possible with only the necessary concessions to durability and reliability to make it a street car. I also hope you get a big raise and can buy a new GT.

Scott

Hi guys

Those are all great points. I did sit in a rolling chassis Roaring Forties at Gordon Levy's facility about 9 months ago. There is nothing to me that looks as exciting as a GT40 especially the Mark II version. A Viper,Corvette, or NSX just does not do it for me. I saw the White with Blue strip GT at the Houston Auto Show just stood there with my mouth hanging open and took lots of pictures. I kept trying to get the Female Model to get out of the way. HaHa.

My guess is hopefully I can take a Superformance version and see if I can make some changes as I will never be able to afford a Ford GT. Of all the suggestions, the air conditioner is the one I would not sacrifice as it too hot in Texas. Below is me dreaming wearing the GT40 hat I got at Ford Dearborn headquarters.

Thanks for the comments.
Jeff

Attachments

• 28240-kit car dreaming.jpg
    28240-kit car dreaming.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 328
Jeff , the top half of your list already is attainable in the current kits that are out there . If your willing to drop the pwr windows and bumpers thing you can build a car to the rest of your needs. regards, Dan

Hi Rick Chattell,

I have just re-read your post of December 15.

You are a man after my own heart!

It was a pleasure to see you, as a CAV man, making positive comments about the forthcoming Superformance GT40.

You say healthy competition is a good thing. Right! I like people who are confident in themselves and confident about their products.

Far too many people see anyone else in their own line of business as a threat, when as has been said a few times in this thread that there is room for everyone.

I like the saying, 'I march through life to the sound of my own drum beat'.

It must be great to be based at Thruxton. Barrie Martin, who build an accurate replica of the Porsche 904, is there as well and probably a close neighbour of yours.

I was closely involved with the 904 project when I worked for Porsche and all 113 cars were built right there in front of me. It was a strange feeling of 'deja vu' when some time ago I stood looking at one of Barrie's replicas at his factory!

March on!
Andre 40

Hi Rick Chattell,

I have just re-read your post of December 15.

You are a man after my own heart!

It was a pleasure to see you, as a CAV man, making positive comments about the forthcoming Superformance GT40.

You say healthy competition is a good thing. Right! I like people who are confident in themselves and confident about their products.

Far too many people see anyone else in their own line of business as a threat, when as has been said a few times in this thread that there is room for everyone.

I like the saying, 'I march through life to the sound of my own drum beat'.

It must be great to be based at Thruxton. Barrie Martin, who build an accurate replica of the Porsche 904, is there as well and probably a close neighbour of yours.

I was closely involved with the 904 project when I worked for Porsche and all 113 cars were built right there in front of me. It was a strange feeling of 'deja vu' when some time ago I stood looking at one of Barrie's replicas at his factory!

There is no doubt that Jean Fourie and John Spence of Carcraft will supply you with a top quality GT40.

March on!
Andre 40

Howard Jones

Supporter
Jeff

1. All the current "kits" can be built to "a very reliable" spec.

2. There are many types of seats that can be installed in the current crop of cars. You pick what you think will be best for you.

3.Everything from the way it comes rear roll over hoop to a full SCCA cage like in my car can be added to your build. I believe CAV, MDA,ERA,RF and others offer a roll cage option. If you get T boned by a 6000 pound 10foot 4X4 @ 100mph.... well I'm not sure the side impact thing will be your only concern.

4. Yes they all have them.

5.Don't do it they are ugly. Or buy a corvett etc.

6. If you have AC then you will not need to roll down the windows. You can use eyeball or hellicopter vents in the side windows if you must have fresh air blowing in your face.

7.Dry sumps are not a " reliable daily driver" mod. You can install ANY horsepower motor in your car you want to but a good old 302 at 350-400hp REALLY WORKS GOOD. Any more power and you will spend as much on the gearbox as the motor. See all gearbox threads on this forum.

8.No there not, they would look ugly. Moding the front of one of these cars to 5mph bumpers would cost more than you have to spend. Forget this one.

9. A 302 @ 6800rpms is the music!! You can add a sound system as you like. There is some room for this in the doors.

10. No again ugly

11. There are several 6 foot plus owners on this forum. Watching people get in and out is half of the fun!! Put a mini on your wife and then take her for a ride.

I have more sugestions but I'll limmit them for now.

Howard

Hi Howard

Thanks for all your inputs. I will certainly consider them.

I was reading about Ford Crate engines. Any thoughts if they are reliable as a daily driver?

Thanks again for the time you spent in your previous email reply.
Jeff

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
They are reliable. But they are not the best way to go. A good local engine builder can get you more performance and equal reliability without spending a whole lot more money, if any. A crate motor doesn't get the kind of careful attention that a hand-assembled motor will, which equates to better power and longer life. A good compromise might be to buy a crate motor, if you want a new engine, and have it taken apart, checked through, and reassembled by a local engine builder.

Jeff,

Howard and I both have crate 302s that put out close to 370HP (check out Car Craft article). My engine runs better than my wife's 2002 MR2. And if it does brake, for $2500 I 'll just buy another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One more thing your wife/lady friend will NEVER like sitting in the car with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Yehhh, they love the look of it until they have sat in it for 30 minutes. Now may be if she was driving, then she would be happy. But then you would not be having any fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Jeff,

Remember the Ford crate motors are all new parts built at the same engine factory that all their other motors come from. Do not confuse a rebuild to new with new. Although a good builder will spend the time to blueprint a rebuild better than new the labor to do so will very quickly drive the cost far beyond a Ford crate motor.

I have a 345hp GT40X alum head Ford crate motor with a B303 cam in it with the parts listed below and I am sure it is makeing at least 370hp. This is a very good low end torque motor that will also make good power all the way up to 6700 RPMs or so and works very well on the street. These are well made all new parts production motors that will last the life of your car without a rebuild if you keep the revs under 6700 or so. The hyd lifters really don't work well much beyond that anyway

One other company that has come to my attention is Central Coast Mustang, 661-823-2400 in Tehachapi Calif. They offer a 302 with a roller X-303 cam and 10.5 to 1 compression, aluminum GT40X heads with roller rockers and high volume oil pump for $2795. This motor should be good for 400hp with a RPM performer intake and 700-750 holley, MSD distributor and sparkbox. Believe me that is enough.

You will need a oil pan, timming chain cover,dampner, waterpump, intake manifold, carb, distributor, spark box and coil along with valvecovers.
About another $1200-$1500

They also offer a 300hp 302 buget motor for $1695. You will again need the above.

As you begin to study your build plan don't spend a lot of time thinking about power unless you really want to turn fast laps on track days. These 370hp or so 302's will really pull hard, you can spin the tires all you want and the car will go 160mph easy. Mine has a 3.44 diff and the gearchange from 4th to 5th is twice the speed limit around here.

Oh....I have not done business with Central Coast nor am I in business with them but they have been mentioned more than once in Muscle mustangs and fast fords. I just want to leave you with what a COMPLETE new alum head motor at about 375-400hp will cost in Calif. About $3700-$4000

One last thing The BODYWORK IS THE HARD PART!!!

We've gotten a bit off-topic, haven't we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is what I have been told, by a CAV GT40 owner who is active on another GT40 forum.

Apparently, Superformance purchased a complete, dismantled GT40 Mk II from a retired airline pilot who had bought it when it was relatively young, with the hopes of restoring it someday.

They shipped all the pieces to South Africa and then set to copying them EXACTLY. The intent is to create a perfect replica of a Mk II GT40, with very high parts interchangability with the real cars, and only a few concessions to pragmatism (for example, I would expect they would use better, modern production brakes as opposed to the old iron Girling units).

The Mk II cars used the T44 gearbox, which was a four-speed transaxle designed/built by Kar Kraft, using standard Ford Top Loader internals. Superformance got a T44 with the car, and have tooled up to reproduce the gearbox case etc., so they can offer their car with an authentic transaxle (I presume you would have to buy a Top Loader and swap the parts over to the new case).

The Mk II chassis had subtle differences from the Mk I chassis to accomodate the 427, and the front and rear bodywork was different, but the center section (cockpit/roof/sills/doors) is the same. So it would be extremely simple for them to create Mk I bodywork and offer the car in either guise.

The originally proposed price was supposed to be in line with their Cobra replicas, but due to the added complexity of the GT40 I would anticipate they would be substantially more expensive, although they are hoping to be competitive with CAV, meaning they would trounce ERA on price.

All very encouraging....

Like I said, this is all second-hand so it may not be accurate, and I welcome corrections from anybody who knows better.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what I have been told, by a CAV GT40 owner who is active on another GT40 forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What other GT40 forum? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back