Accelerator sticking

If it is a cable operated throttle look for fraying somewhere along its length. The fray will catch on the casing and not let it return fully.

Yip been there, 3rd gear at about 110mph and still pulling like a train, ... good to know my rev limiter works !

Fitted a better throttle pedal stop cured mine, carb was opening to far and sticking wide open, still a bit of doubt there every time I floor it tho !!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes
Santa Pod
Took off and broke an engine mount
Engine moved enough to jam throttle crank fully open against the rear deck

Probably about 7000 in 2nd before I killed ignition - scary

Ian

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have a minor problem with the throttle not shutting fully when you come down to idle I.E. At stop it idles at 1100 RPM, blip the throttle and it drops to its normal 800 RPM. I've checked return springs and cable and no fault found. lubricated everything I could access and still no joy? I'm interested in any ideas also.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Throttle stops under the pedal are crucial...

If you don't have one - add it or you can do great harm to the carburetor shaft(s) by trying to force them past the wide open throttle position. This will twist the shaft and can cause binding at almost any throttle setting (usually at idle)..

Additionally - you can stretch and damage the cable and it's ends.

----

Another thing that can cause a hanging throttle is worn shafts and/or throttle body bushings. This can be caused by lack of a throttle-stop (twist/warped shafts) and also by throttle return springs that are too tight. and not directly opposite the plane in which the cable actuates the carburetor..

----
edit
----

One other thing to try is to disconnect the cable/linkage to the carb(s) and see if the problem goes away. If it does not - the problem is in the carburetor..

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy, I do have a throttle stop under the pedal but maybe it is adjusted wrong. I'll check it out and dis-connect the cable and see what happens as well.

Back