Advice Please, Which Order for Sealant Drilling & Pop Rivets

Neil

Supporter
Nice tool Neil. I would push back that this tool is accurate for angled brackets (as shown initially) due to the thickness of the register or pilot stub (removing that thickness--1 mm maybe?-- skews the hole when drilled for the bracket riveting. Straight-on paneling, as shown later in the video seems to be that best utilization of this tool.
Yes, strap duplicators are intended for use on thin panels, laying flat, which is the usual case on aircraft.

I personally would not use rivets on any panel that isn't load bearing. Just not necessary with todays bonding agents that are so powerful you can't remove them afterward. I would consider also having some panels easy removeable for access, so would use rivnut panels onto closed cell foam strips with no adhesive.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I could have used the strap duplicator a hundred times!!!! Ordering one this morning!
I was thinking about how to do I put the panels on my chassis when it arrives. When bonding alloy to steel tubes, how is the tube prepped? If you paint then is the bonding to the paint film? If to prepared steel, does the bonding agent provide the galvanic protection needed?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
If you paint then is the bonding to the paint film? If to prepared steel, does the bonding agent provide the galvanic protection needed?

Yeah David...that was at the heart of my queries above. Doesn't make sense to bond to paint or plastic (powdercoat) if a strong bond is desired. Perhaps the adhesive is non-electrolytic and sufficiently isolates the two metals.

Last time I took drill from my friend and he bought it recently,
After doing work with it, Its smooth and perfect performance. I check all reviews and features, and Its outstanding. I wish I will add for my garage.

Neil

Supporter
Last time I took drill from my friend and he bought it recently,
After doing work with it, Its smooth and perfect performance. I check all reviews and features, and Its outstanding. I wish I will add for my garage.
That looks like a nice drill. Its speed would be good for drilling steel but for drilling small (1/8" to 3/16") rivet holes in aluminum you should use a higher rpm drill. High rpm reduces the required pressure on a drill's cutting edge and extends its life. For drilling aluminum I'd recommend a keyless pneumatic drill with 2,500 to 5,000 rpm. Here is an example of a 4500 rpm pneumatic aircraft drill. Kerosene or diesel oil is a good lubricant for drilling aluminum.

Attachments

• 195521650_3071271663109922_2894223468226495636_n.jpg
    195521650_3071271663109922_2894223468226495636_n.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 104
Back