Affordable Power?

2005 Tech Article from the Mustangs & Fords website
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/28898_400_hp_302_small_block/index.html

Ford 302 Small-Block: 400 hp on pump gas for under $2,500

"Forget about 360 hp. How about 400 hp—with ported stock heads, a cam with only 280 degrees of advertised duration, and one four-barrel carb? Better yet, Sherman says you can build an engine like the one on these pages for around $2,500. This price assumes you do most of the work yourself, farming out only the necessary machine work and cylinder-head porting; figure $3,500–$4,000 if you farm out everything.

The key to keeping costs down is to spend time and money only on necessary parts, avoiding glamour items, then shop around for parts deals—just like Sherman does. You don’t need forged pistons, trick connecting rods, or fancy extruded roller rocker arms. What you do need is sound machining; a good set of cylinder heads; the right cam, intake, and exhaust; and meticulous assembly techniques. Read on to find out what it takes to make your 289/302 First On Race Day.

The bottom end only needs to be strong enough to live at the desired power level—in this case, 400 hp. Stay away from the fancy stuff and spend your money on the top end. If you have a 289, Sherman says a 302 crank’s 0.130-inch-longer stroke is worth at least 15 lb-ft of torque.

Because 289 cranks and rods are getting rare while 302 components are as common as sand on a beach, a local crank grinder should be more than happy to trade 289 stuff for 302 parts.

Forged pistons are not needed. Although Sherman has used standard cast “rebuilder specials” in the past, the engine in this article features Federal-Mogul’s Speed-Pro hypereutectic pistons with pressed pins supplied by Powerhouse Engine Components. Although the Speed-Pro units cost about $40 more than standard castings, they also produce reasonable deck heights. In contrast, typical standard rebuilder piston decks are as much as 0.020 inch lower than stock, leading to low compression and a loss of quench. When installed to design blueprint specs, the Speed-Pro pistons end up 0.011 inch down in the hole. However, to achieve the desired 9.54:1 compression ratio, Sherman had the block’s deck milled lower than the production 8.206-inch crank-to-deck dimension to yield a final 0.005-inch piston deck height.

The pinholes on Federal-Mogul and other replacement pistons are offset 0.060 inch from center to maintain quiet operation in stock applications. Normally the piston is installed with the notch facing forward (the pin and rod are offset toward the front). Installing the piston backward (with the pin and rod offset toward the rear) reduces rod angularity; the engine behaves as if it has a 0.300-inch-longer rod.

Hastings supplied the piston rings, which included a moly top, a cast-iron second, and standard-tension oil rings. To achieve quicker break-in, the pistons are installed with 0.001 inch extra skirt clearance. Engine Supply machined and balanced the engines, then machined the cylinder heads. There’s no need to modify the oil system; just install a new stock replacement standard-volume oil pump.

Test Results________________________________________________________________

For this article, Sherman tested the 306.1ci engine using an Edelbrock Performer 750-cfm square-bore carb, a 3-inch spacer-plate, and both Performer RPM dual-plane and Victor Jr. single-plane intake manifolds. Sherman reports that the spacer helps the top-end numbers on this package with no sacrifice downstairs—getting it to fit under the hood is up to you! Running only a 1-inch spacer will cost you about 5 hp on top.

The engine runs best with 41 degrees of advance; varying the total timing more than 2 degrees either way costs 5-10 hp. Seemingly, that’s a lot of timing for a small-displacement, small-chamber engine running on pump gas, but other engine builders report similar advance requirements with Isky Megacams. With the Performer RPM, the engine made 369.1 lb-ft peak torque at 4,500 rpm and 387.5 hp at 6,250. The Victor Jr. shifted the curves higher, making 370.1 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm and 401.5 hp at 6,500. Both combinations made over 1 hp/ci from 4,500 through 6,750 rpm and over 300 lb-ft of torque from 3,000 through 6,500.

The Victor makes more overall average torque than the Performer throughout the 3,000–6,750 test-rpm range (356.3 lb-ft compared to 342.9 lb-ft) and more overall average power (362.7 hp compared to 365.8 hp). Over 5,000 rpm, the Victor also beats the Performer, making more average torque (344.9 lb-ft versus 333.8 lb-ft) and power (383.3 hp versus 370.6 hp). On the opposite end, the averages are reversed; the Performer did better than the Victor from 3,000 through 4,750. The Performer develops an average 356.3 lb-ft of torque versus the Victor’s 342.9 lb-ft and an average 365.8 hp versus the Victor’s 362.7 hp.

The Victor’s 1.3 hp/ci output at peak power is an impressive achievement for a single-carb, normally aspirated engine running on 92-octane gas. A measure of how well an engine breathes, this engine’s volumetric efficiency (VE)—the ratio of the actual mass (weight) of air taken into the engine to the mass the engine displacement would theoretically consume if there were no losses—never dropped below 100 percent with either intake manifold. VE reached a high of 115.7 percent at 5,500 rpm with the Victor Jr. VE numbers in excess of 100 percent on an unblown engine are usually only seen in full-race combinations with a perfectly matched intake, exhaust, and camshaft combination.

For full-throttle performance on occasionally driven cars, the Victor Jr. is the best intake for this combination, but its relatively high-rpm torque and power peaks require gearing the car accordingly. By contrast, the Performer’s dual-plane configuration should make it more driveable at part-throttle, and you’re only giving up about 15 hp on the top end."

Chris

For those of you who don't know who Joe Sherman is, he is one of the early winners(won 2 years in a row I believe) of the Engine Masters series sponsered by Popular Hot Rodding. They have a yearly series that is the envy of all the great engine builders in the U S. Their rules are very strict and they change the requirements each year. One year it is big blocks, next it is small, thren they will change the rules around, say to flat tappets, or a bore and stroke limitation. Their rules are to keep them in some simblance of stock and carburated. All of the series are to be run on 87 octane. Their points are based on Dyno pulls where the points are based on an average rather than a high final number. So they have to have a good low end as well as a high end pull. They are allowed a qualifying pull, then two final pulls with only tweaking inbetween. It is usally won by only a few points seperation. It is the Super Bowl of engine builders.

Bill

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Isn't it about time for the Engine Master's competition to roll around?

I particularly enjoy watching the clevors compete.......good stuff :thumbsup: !

Interesting the way they "fooled" the engine re:rod ratio----wonder if it has any negative effects on engine longevity (anything that is noisy on startup seems to be a fine target for trouble, if you ask me).

Doug

Isn't it about time for the Engine Master's competition to roll around?

I particularly enjoy watching the clevors compete.......good stuff :thumbsup: !

Interesting the way they "fooled" the engine re:rod ratio----wonder if it has any negative effects on engine longevity (anything that is noisy on startup seems to be a fine target for trouble, if you ask me).

Doug

I've been researching offset pins quite a bit, and everything I've read say that
the only dowside is a little more startup noise. No extra wear on the cylinder
walls nor piston sides, and that offset actually reduces the opposing force of the
rod and crank on downstroke. I read about a great 351W build up using longer
rods with an offset pin, stock ECU, ported intake, and Twisted Wedge heads.
Minimal cost and effort resulted in over 400 HP on 87 Octane.

You have to be careful with the pistons though - choose good ones. Weak
pistons and not being careful about the compression will lead to destroying
the piston itself.

Ian

I've been researching offset pins quite a bit, and everything I've read say that
the only dowside is a little more startup noise. No extra wear on the cylinder
walls nor piston sides, and that offset actually reduces the opposing force of the
rod and crank on downstroke. I read about a great 351W build up using longer
rods with an offset pin, stock ECU, ported intake, and Twisted Wedge heads.
Minimal cost and effort resulted in over 400 HP on 87 Octane.

You have to be careful with the pistons though - choose good ones. Weak
pistons and not being careful about the compression will lead to destroying
the piston itself.

Ian

If you want a long rod low $$ recipe for a 351w- use 351 crank-400 cleveland rods-pistons from 3.25 stroker kit------------ this gives you 3.5" stroke/6.58" rods/1.165" pin height.
You will also need some pin bush's from a 272/292/312 to bring the SE of rod down to size- they press straight in.--------- Its not low $$$$ if you have to educate & pay someone else on how to do it, only if you know how to use a lathe etc yourself.

Ron Earp

Admin
This year's winner in the engine masters competition was all Cleveland but not what you think - a 400C motor. Check it out:

2008 Engine Masters Challenge - Engine Masters Magazine

Some details in various places on the web but it was the highest scoring engine in history of the competition with 656hp and 618 lb-ft peak numbers and the highest area under the curve from 2500-6500 RPM. All from 403 inches.

There is quite a bit of misleading info in the Sherman article mainly from poor tech knowledge of the writer.

Piston pin offset should be described as lead or trail in relation to engine rotation--- NOT to front or rear which most folk would try to visualise as front/rear of cyl block.

Ign timing- one thing I look for is the amount of timing reqd to make max power- if its a lot as in this case then there is a combustion quality issue. I know many of these type articles are orientated toward drag racing applications rather than longer duration circuit cars. Horses for courses I guess. Be interesting to see how some of these would last if you put the dyno in endurance mode & peg them at max power for 15 minutes.

Ron Earp

Admin
I've always wondered how long engines like these would last as well. I like my race class rules that allow some modifications but aren't "all out" on the engine rules. Keeps rebuilds down and thus somewhat limits the $$$ while retaining 99% of the fun.

I've always found articals like this pretty amusing. It might be done if you have a machine shop in house, parts at wholesale or less and your time counts as 0.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
This year's winner in the engine masters competition was all Cleveland but not what you think - a 400C motor.
Some details in various places on the web but it was the highest scoring engine in history of the competition with 656hp and 618 lb-ft peak numbers and the highest area under the curve from 2500-6500 RPM. All from 403 inches.

Gotta love those "Cleveland" motors, although in this case it was the 351/400 M engine block with CHI heads! I can recall when everyone was recommending that these "lumps" were useful only for boat anchors.....everythng seemed wrong at the time, now who's laughing all the way to the bank :thumbsup:?

In the end, it was the low end torque capability of the canted valve Cleveland heads that helped Kaase win....even scoring higher than his new "Boss 429" hemi-heads!

YEE-HAW, Ford continues to rule the roost, and my beloved Clevelands now sit on the throne!

Doug

I normally don't pay much attention to the engine builds because they build it , dyno it, and that's it. They don't run it on the road, and it probably wouldn't last anyway. I have to say though, Jon Kassee is one of the best engine builders out there. He is the only one who has won the Master's series twice and come in second once. He might have won it three times. Not sure. What I do know, is that he lives just down the road a way, and a lot of guys that are respected racers and tech officials, know Jon and the quality of his work. He used to do a lot of research for Ford years ago. He does all his own work in a shop in the basement of his house, least I think he still does. You have to remember that these engines that they build for this series are tweaked to the max and the rules are such that they can't do anything to them once submitted to the series. You would have to read the rules to understand what these guys are up against, So they are pretty much benchmark engines. Like all builds, they are purpose built. There are a lot of things that can be done to these engines to set them up for what ever purpose you want. These were built to get the numbers that would stand up to the tortures they have to go through. If you read some of the side bars, you will see that these engines go through sometimes as many as 20 dyno pulls BEFORE they submit them for the competition. He knows his way around an engine. I don't know Jon personnaly, but I know his reputation with the racers around here. I hope to someday meet him and his crew by way of the guys that I know in the drag racing arena.

Bill

Back