Alans Scratch build

Charlie M

Supporter
GT 40 FUN
Setting up the shocks. I am using Aldan American shocks with adjustable damping. Since I am using C5 Corvette parts the shock has a 500 pound spring. I need to get maybe 350 pounds springs. What do you guys Think ?
The reason I chose Corvette is it is very easy to adapt to the GT. Corvette suspension is has great handling. The Large diameters brake disc do not get as hot as the GT 40 set up. Less problems. Next is the steering rack. I ordered one from Summit Racing.

What steering rack are you using?

Thanks,
Charlie

It is the HDT-MP-018-1-K
I ordered it after talking to a rep at Summit, since I am Corvette suspension the Rack need to be wider. So its trial and error to see if this one will work.

Charlie M

Supporter
It is the HDT-MP-018-1-K
I ordered it after talking to a rep at Summit, since I am Corvette suspension the Rack need to be wider. So its trial and error to see if this one will work.
It looks like a Mustang rack. Does Summit have tie rod ends for it that will fit the Corvette uprights? I'm facing the same challenge myself. I'm using C4 Corvette front uprights and most of the aftermarket racks are set up for Ford tie rods.

I got the Rack and it came with Rod ends. The taper seems correct. I have Corvette rod end tomorrow. To make it work you will need rod end extensions. The Female end needs to be 4.500 with about 2.500 thread By 2.250 male thread overall length 6.750 That should work fine

Charlie M

Supporter
I have a Mustang II style rack. The thread for the inner tie rod end is M14 x 1.50 and the tie rods have a 9/16-18 thread on the outer tie rod end. This looks typical for all the Mustang II style racks I've looked at. The C4 Corvette is M14 x 1.50; it looks close to a 9/16-18 but it's not. I've been looking into this a bit lately. Flaming River makes the Mustang rack in several different lengths. Moog has a nice part finder tool for both inner and outer tie rod ends where you can search by different dimensions.
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_inner_tie_rods.asp Between the two I'm hoping to find something that works.

I contacted Flaming River. They have an inner tie rod end that has the M14 thread on both ends. It's 13" long and the part number is 102771. Although, I searched for that number on their website and nothing came up.

GT 40 Fun
Got the Summit racing Steering rack HDT-MP-018-1-K Mustang Rack??
You have to make or buy 2 Rod extensions with 9/16-18 threads (If your build is Corvette) The Rack also comes with the rod ends that appear to be the exact taper that the Corvette has. That is nice and easy since all the threads are the same RH. If you make them your self (rod extensions) be sure of the thread tolerance and hold it. This is something you do not want coming apart. I used 17-4 Stainless to Cond H1025 34 HRC
I single point threaded the OD thread on the CNC lathe and hand Tap the ID thread. I went the full depth of the rod end and 2.800 on the Summit rack end got it close, to proper toe in, only a small amount of machining or adjusting.
Tack welded for now. On to the next thing

Attachments

• THREADING.jpg
    THREADING.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 395
  • STEERING RACK.jpg
    STEERING RACK.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 388
  • ROD EXTENSION.jpg
    ROD EXTENSION.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 370
GT 40 FUN
Built a Hartwell type latch, found some pictures of these latches on the internet. Machined several different versions of what the pictures showed.
So it will bind the glass body to the frame and then latch is supposed to lock in place. Pushing the top button will release the latch. Fit is nice in the fiberglass. Not a lot of fill here. So far so good

Attachments

• HARRTWELL PARTS.jpg
    HARRTWELL PARTS.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 329
  • LATCH LOCKED.jpg
    LATCH LOCKED.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 317
  • LATCH UNLOCKED.jpg
    LATCH UNLOCKED.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 315
  • MOUNTING.jpg
    MOUNTING.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 347
GT 40 FUN
MY HAAS CNC Mill died had to stop making the Hartwell latches until fixed.
So its on to the tires, And I got Yokohama 275/40R18 for the rear and 245/40R17 for the front. They fit and clear the body. One thing about the suspension it has zero anti dive and I thought to start there if necessary add some later. Corvettes have a lot of anti dive but they have a lot of weight up front. This car is very light and the shock absorbers have compression damping adjustment that can be increased if needed. Who knows I guess get on the track and find out. Willow Springs race way in Calif. About 50 miles from here

Attachments

• REAR TIRE.jpg
    REAR TIRE.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 302
  • REAR TIRE OPEN.jpg
    REAR TIRE OPEN.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 312
  • FRONT TIRE.jpg
    FRONT TIRE.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 316
  • FRONT TIRE OPEN.jpg
    FRONT TIRE OPEN.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 369
GT 40 FUN
When I open and close the Clam shell it bends and will not locate on the pins. Looking at a Super Performance clam shell I see stiffeners. I made a copy as close to the photo with 1/8 fiberglass sheet. Now I can pick up one side of the Clam Shell and lower it and it fits all 4 pins perfectly. I have been on the car about 14 months so far, the hard stuff is behind. When it cools down I need to get my 351 roller Block from Pick a Part

Attachments

• SUPER PREFORMANCE STIFFNER.jpg
    SUPER PREFORMANCE STIFFNER.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 407
  • GT STIFFNER COPY.jpg
    GT STIFFNER COPY.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 406
Got the glass in today and it fits nicely, next step mount and bond spider and doors, then recheck glass fit. Then I will store the glass in a safe place.

Hi Alan - where did you purchase the windshield? Is it DOT approved?

I’m planning to also purchase a body from to Chris Arden and do a scratch build so your build log is very beneficial for me. Thank you for sharing all the details. The build is looking great.

I got my windshield from Chris Arden and the Body. Took him 6 weeks to build. He builds a corvette suspension version with wheels more true to GT40. I used Corvette suspension and Corvette wheels with the same frame as Chris design. However moved the brackets 2 inch wider to fit the Vette wheels. 17" front 18" rear. You need the windshield to fit the body. Do not install it until your car is almost done. Not sure if its dot approved.
When i was fitting the body I tried a heat gun to move the fiberglass and not much luck there. So I broke out the saw and made cuts in the body were it needed to fit, then re glassed it. Fiberglass is very forgiving. Good luck with you car.

GT 40 FUN
Built a Hartwell type latch, found some pictures of these latches on the internet. Machined several different versions of what the pictures showed.
So it will bind the glass body to the frame and then latch is supposed to lock in place. Pushing the top button will release the latch. Fit is nice in the fiberglass. Not a lot of fill here. So far so good
GT 40 FUN
Got the Haas CNC mill fixed (bad encoder). Here are the Hartwell Latches installed, They put a lot of pressure down to hold Clam shell in place and that can be adjusted by turning the screw and tighten the lock nut (not shown) They un lock very easy. I am calling this a prototype and have 6 more sets to fine tune them.

Attachments

• HARTWELL LOCKED.jpg
    HARTWELL LOCKED.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 343
  • HARTWELL UNLOCKED.jpg
    HARTWELL UNLOCKED.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 313
  • HARTWELL OPEN.jpg
    HARTWELL OPEN.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 345

Bart Roberts

Supporter
GT 40 FUN
MY HAAS CNC Mill died had to stop making the Hartwell latches until fixed.
So its on to the tires, And I got Yokohama 275/40R18 for the rear and 245/40R17 for the front. They fit and clear the body. One thing about the suspension it has zero anti dive and I thought to start there if necessary add some later. Corvettes have a lot of anti dive but they have a lot of weight up front. This car is very light and the shock absorbers have compression damping adjustment that can be increased if needed. Who knows I guess get on the track and find out. Willow Springs race way in Calif. About 50 miles from here

I'm working on building a GT40 as a gift to my father in law and it's on a tight budget, very tight. I too have Chris' chassis plans. I had not considered using corvette rims or aftermarket rims for corvette. What did you use, are these from a standard C5 or Z06?

GT 40 Fun
Starting to fit the 996 Trans, making sure everything fits. getting ready to attach drive shafts and mounts. Then i need to get the trans cables attached to the shift box. I still have to go to Pick A Part and unbolt a 351 Winsor Roller block and build a 427 Stroker or Buy Ford block complete.

Attachments

• 996 trans.jpg
    996 trans.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 191
Back