Allen English RCR40 Turn Key Build

Hi Bill,
Here are the details for my set up.

I mounted the cube camera on the transaxle and it seems to provide a great view from behind me. So good in fact I can actually see a vehicle as it starts to go past my rear quarter panels. We also placed a on off switch for the camera under the dash. I wouldn't ad this feature again as I like the backup camera on all of the time. As others have said a rear view mirror is useless because all you will see out of it is you engine.

In addition to the rear view mirror I bought two more side view mirrors that I am going to take apart and ad cube wide angle cameras to. I plan to pick up some one way mirror glass and cut it to fit them then mount the cameras behind it. The plan is when I turn on the signal for either side the camera will come to view in the rear view miror.

Mirror: ADVENT LCDM42 reverse mirror w/built in 4.2" LCD Monitor.
Details: 2 X Video Input, High Resolution LCD Screen, Built in speaker, Auto Adjust brightness.

Camera: ADVENT CAM330 miniature cube backup camera.
Details: High resolution CMOS imager, 160deg wide angle lens, waterproof camera, built in microphone, multiple mounting systems.

052010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg

092010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg

062010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg

042010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg

032010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg

022010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg

102010BackUpCamera_06172010.jpg

Beautiful car! Fran is "the real deal" When I am ready I think Fran will be doing a "turn key " for me as well. I agree with your reasons for doing that. It is much nicer to come home and go for a drive rather than, like you say spending all hours in the garage when you could be spending it with your two Loves...take care

Beautiful car! Fran is "the real deal" When I am ready I think Fran will be doing a "turn key " for me as well. I agree with your reasons for doing that. It is much nicer to come home and go for a drive rather than, like you say spending all hours in the garage when you could be spending it with your two Loves...take care

Thanks Paul,

There really isn't anything like having a car built by the manufacturer, they will build it exactly how it was meant to be for you. As RCR did for me!

My wife is claustrophobic and we need to work her into the car. My son and I took it out for a short drive today. The car handles and drives like a slot car.

The first picture is from today and the other one is from my first club cruise.

Last edited:
Hi A.J.

Thank you :thumbsup:

The sorting out is coming along nicely. I have about 150 miles of sorting on the car now.

The Portland Historic Races are the next three days and Dan Burrill from Kit Car Builder plans to attend the event. Bren Mills will be joining us with his RCR MK IV too. Expect to see lots of picture over the next few days. I will probably start another thread for the event though and ad a link to it here.

I believe they have internet at P.I.R. and I will try and post stuff while the event is happening.

Allen, the car looks GREAT with the personalization you've done. Really glad to see it out and about on beautiful roads.

Allen, I may have missed your rationale, but why is the camera mounted so low? Why not look through one of the ventilation openings in the rear clip?

On the interior, a 40 does feel a bit claustrophobic compared to a normal car. I've talked to some owners here in Oz who have used the Mk3 type windows available from DRB with the main section both hinging out and lifting off altogether. This makes the car feel a little more open for claustrophobic partners.

Allen, I may have missed your rationale, but why is the camera mounted so low? Why not look through one of the ventilation openings in the rear clip?

On the interior, a 40 does feel a bit claustrophobic compared to a normal car. I've talked to some owners here in Oz who have used the Mk3 type windows available from DRB with the main section both hinging out and lifting off altogether. This makes the car feel a little more open for claustrophobic partners.

Hi Dalton,
I found that with the camera mounted on the transaxle to be inconspicuous and easy to install, but it was a great spot as well. I get a great view of what's behind me.

My wife seems to be claustrophobic for sure :sad: And to top things off she had a knee replacement this weekend. Getting ready to go visit her in the hospital in a few minutes as a matter of fact. I do plan to remove my side windows to see if that will help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I meant to take my camera with me last weekend at the historic's, but I had forgotten the camera. I guess I was too excited to just drive the car. I am working on some action footage that I hope to post if I get something worth while.

Allen

I felt claustrophobic in a Gt40 for the first 5 or 6 times since the experience is so different to most other cars. After half a dozen times you get used to it and it feels more natural. Make sure the wife continues to go out in the Gt as often as possible and hiopefully as I the feeling will pass.

Hope of help

Regards

KarlB

Is this the same car that I saw listed for sale? Hope your not selling after all that hard work...she is a beautiful car.

Liz and I decided to put the car up for sale since she couldn't ride in it. She is too claustrophobic and in the few months we have had it she just can't seem to get up the nerve to go for a drive in it or sit in it with the doors closed for that matter. So I told her I would sell it before I had a chance to get too attached to it. It's pretty sorted out now and drives real nice. I made another video yesterday that I need to put together. I really hate to sell her after a little over two years of waiting to get to this point, but if I can't travel in it with my wife the car has to go. At least I am in no hurry to sell and I will just go to some of the local events while I still have it.

Don't forget to check out the 9:pM LEVERAGE TV show on TNT tonight. They used my RCR40 as a background prop at the Portland International Raceway a while back and the show will air tonight. I'm not sure how much the car was used for this show, but my friend had his Factory Five black and gold roadster used as the bad guy car and I'm sure we will see it a bunch and in action.

Allen, this is a real pity. I admire your sacrifice, but could a compromise be possible? There are usually various activities that one partner does on their own, quilting, cat shows, whatever, no matter how "together" they are. Could you just agree to limited use by you (as proposed above) for a few years, seeing as you've done all the sweat, and forgo the longer road trips or weekends away?

My 2c worth.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I agree that it would be a pity for you to have to sell it... The market is still pretty depressed on these cars as well..

I think I would explore other opportunities - such as another set of doors and a TARGA conversion to the roof...

Like this CAV;

attachment.php

attachment.php

With the windows out and the roof off, it would be about as open as your Cobra was and Liz got along with that alright didn't she?

Back