Alright, Lola Wheels, what is the deal?

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, I was talking about PSE wheels and yes I think they are in the range of 2600 for 8s and 10s to 3000 for 9s and 12s . I posted on this forum because I was answering your question "Lola wheels-what is the deal"?

No offense meant or anything from my side. I didn't know if anyone else made the wheels other than Lola. PSE are more than close enough for my needs, after all I don't have an original Lola. I figured if one was talking about real Lola wheels they'd be like $2600 a wheel!

I've re-read the whole thread so now I understand that it is a set of MK III b wheels you want and not a set of MK II wheels. I was confused.The MKIIIb wheels currently available are 3600 per set in magnesium, but are 6 pin. I have several used sets but they are six pin as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I am still confused. Do you want 12" Mk III rear wheels or 17" MK IIIb rear wheels ? The uprights are special to fit such deep wheels.
Evan, lots of vendors sell Goodyear Blue Streaks, and several sets are discarded at each vintage race meet if mild street use or display use is the intended purpose.

Just had this reply from Lola England.

"The wheels we currently supply for the continuation T70 coupe are as follows;

T76-14000--A1 FT WHEEL £ 969.00 each. 15 x 16.75 ** 6 drive pegs
T76-14001--A1 RR WHEEL £1105.50 each. 15 x 10.5 ** 6 drive pegs "

Nothing from Lola suits my requirements in terms of style, pin drive, width and cost - apart from that perfect!!

As you can now see that's why I'm having exact replicas made either in US or South Africa - depends on speed and final costs.

Like I said earlier, Lola can't help you with aluminum 5 pin wheels.
Also like I said, the aluminum 15" wheels you want in 8", 9", 10", 10 1/2" & 12" widths are already being made by other than Lola. I think you would need to source original uprights to use some of these wheels. I know you could buy used original wheels for less than 3000 per set. Perhaps I have misunderstood and you are trying to put together an order for wheels from your friend regardless of what is available elsewhere. In any event, good luck with your quest(buying wheels or selling wheels).
By the way, I do not think the wheels you have pictured are T70 wheels unless they are some sort of uncommon weird set from a MK III. Perhaps they are Indy car wheels or from a T142 F5000.

Last edited by a moderator:
These aluminum rears of the #36 car look like what you said you wanted.. right ???
d08vingar3g.JPG

Mark Spaulding is my buddy and does not mind if I use this picture for educational purposes...

These aluminum rears of the #36 car look like what you said you wanted.. right ???
d08vingar3g.JPG

Mark Spaulding is my buddy and does not mind if I use this picture for educational purposes...

Nah if you look closely you'll see the spokes are straight on on car 36 - and the dish on the wheel is different - not a million miles off but far enough off. These look like PSE wheels. thanks Chris

ps haven't given up yet - asking Lola UK if they can positievly ID the originals for me.

The spokes are supposed to be straight. These are original MK III wheels
attachment.php

Again, good luck

OK I accept the correct MK111b wheels had straight spokes - it's those curved ones on 'my' wheels I need to nail.

Hoping to get some light shed soon. In any event my wheel engineer will probably have those originals in his mucky hands as soon as I can rescue them from their home in Cape Town...................

Last edited:
OK, please ignore if this is too much thread drift... Does anyone know where in the heck Superformance is getting their (very original looking) Halibrands for their GT40 replica? Their wheels are not the standard replica Halibrands you see on lots of cobras and GT40s, and which can be had for about $1,500/set. Thanks.

Cliff,

Those Halibrand Replica wheels are made by WaW in the town of Brits, Noth West province, South Africa.

As far as I can determine Hi-Tech have an exclusive on these wheels in South Africa, but the good news is that in the US you can buy them from Bob at Vintage Wheels :: Welcome To Vintage Wheels ::

The are very nice wheels - I know because I have a set waiting to go onto a project. Unlike most Halibrand replicas which are ten spoke, the WaW wheels are 12 spoke and so look like the real thing.

Bob supplies both 6 pin drive 4.25" and 5 pin drive either Ford or Jag/Chevy PCDs.

Vintage wheels also have some very nice BRM style wheels.

(Sorry to go a bit off topic but this is a GT40 forum and Chris asked)

Thanks Johan. I have two original T70 wheels with no rubber. I want to get the Goodyear Blue Streaks to make it Legit. You gave me the Lola bug.

I'm beginning to suspect my wheels are not necessarily T70. They are a close representation to the T70 style - so will probably just have reps made.

The spokes are supposed to be straight. These are original MK III wheels
attachment.php

Again, good luck

OK I accept the correct MK111b wheels had straight spokes - it's those curved ones on 'my' wheels I need to nail.

Hoping to get some light shed soon. In any event my wheel engineer will probably have those originals in his mucky hands as soon as I can rescue them from their home in Cape Town...................

Just to clarify, these wheels are MkIII wheels as Johan said, not MkIIIB wheels. So many to choose from...

Thanks for pointing that out Richard. I didn't have the heart to say anything more. Did you notice the old Firestone tires ? Same model that came on the Porsche 917 I think.

Just as well I'm sorted now - thanks for all the help from various posters - and sorry for causing such condescension from some quarters, Johan go on force yourself to have 'more heart' - some of us can pick the helpful meat from the bones even when there's the thinly disguised hint of being patronised - honest we can.

Just trying to help you buy the right wheels Chris. I have at least 100 Lola wheels. I do not sell them because I am not confident in the condition of used magnesium wheels. I guess you could say that I collect them, and it is rare that a subject comes up that I am so interested in. I get over-excited and raise my hand too quick sometimes. I hate the look of a replica with the wrong wheels on it. Just personal preference I suppose.
When you said you wanted Lola Wheels, I thought "now here is a guy that is going to do it right" ! MK III wheels are 12" wide and MK IIIb wheels are 17" wide. T142 wheels are 14" wide, and they all look the same from the outside view. I have 6 hole wheels, 5 hole wheels and 4 hole wheels. I have all these materials to look at in order to be helpful, spread them all over the garage floor, send the family on vacation in order not to be disturbed, and begin by asking what width wheels you are looking for. You won't say, and trek off to re-invent the wheel. I felt foolish like a snubbed bride at the alter.
I collect gages, transmissions, shifters, uprights, calipers and bodywork etc. as well, so be forewarned !

Just trying to help you buy the right wheels Chris. I have at least 100 Lola wheels. I guess you could say that I collect them, and it is rare that a subject comes up that I am so interested in. I get over-excited and raise my hand too quick sometimes. I hate the look of a replica with the wrong wheels on it. Just personal preference I suppose.
When you said you wanted Lola Wheels, I thought "now here is a guy that is going to do it right" ! MK III wheels are 12" wide and MK IIIb wheels are 17" wide. T142 wheels are 14" wide, and they all look the same from the outside view. I have 6 hole wheels, 5 hole wheels and 4 hole wheels. I have all these materials to look at in order to be helpful, spread them all over the garage floor, send the family on vacation in order not to be disturbed, and begin by asking what width wheels you are looking for. You won't say, and trek off to re-invent the wheel. I felt foolish like a snubbed bride at the alter.
I collect gages, transmissions, shifters, uprights, calipers and bodywork etc. as well, so be forewarned !

Johan,

OK - the wheels I am going to mimic are 15 inch models. On the original Perana race saloon they were 14 inch wide rears and 8 inch wide fronts. To get the wide wheels on the rear of the Perana they made a C shaped leaf spring. I am not going that wide.

My rears will be 10-11 inches wide at rear. The fronts will be 8-8.5 wide. These will easily fit the Capri suspension set up.

My wheel guy in South Africa can make me (us) 5 pin drive or 6 pin drive, 15 inch x any width needed. They can be bolt on or knock on's. In fact whatever the customer wants. The material is high grade aluminium, and nickel spinners that never oxidise.

I will have drawings next week.

If anyone is interested in totally custom Lola styled wheels then let me know - the more we order the less they'll be.

Now, I need a few guages, transmissions, shifters, uprights, calipers...................

Back