Anti-submarine strap install on RCR GT40

Kim Haun

Supporter
I’m looking for suggestions on how to install anti submarine straps in my RCR GT40. Can anyone share how they accomplished this with an aesthetically pleasing result? I hate to just chop into the seats without a solid plan. Photos would be great! Thanks!

Kim

Howard Jones

Supporter
All of the seat belt manufactures have very specific install instructions but all of them generally encompass the same overall parameters. Here's a pretty good example:

https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

The holes in the seats should (must) conform with the specific locations specified by the belt install instructions. This and the mount point relationship to the body are critically important. As a aside, GT40 seats are laid back at something like 30-35 degrees. My GTD seats are 34 degrees. Therefor a 5th or 6 point belt is critical.

My SLC build log ( post # 645ish ) has some pretty detailed seat belt mounting pictures and would be pretty similar to a GT40 layout although not a laid back.

Last edited:
I’m looking for suggestions on how to install anti submarine straps in my RCR GT40. Can anyone share how they accomplished this with an aesthetically pleasing result? I hate to just chop into the seats without a solid plan. Photos would be great! Thanks!

Kim

I have the thigh wrapping anti-submarine belts which require mounting back behind the occupant. In my car the lower seat pan is slid forward leaving a sizable gap from that pan to the rear bulkhead. I drilled holes in that gap to anchor the tabs.

Kim Haun

Supporter
Thanks Howard and Adam. I have the five point Simpson harness so I’ll be cutting a hole in the seat in the proper location. I was wondering how owners finished off the hole in the seat cover with the grommets.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Both of my cars have seats that I only use on track. They are all made of aluminum. The hole on the seat ( as well as the ones on the back) is positioned so that when the 5 or 6 sub belt is in use it does not rub on the seat. The holes are aprox. 2X3 inches with round ends. I hand filed the holes edges so that they are not sharp.

Get some rubber trim from McMaster and glue in place.

This is how the hole is finished on my Tillett B5 seats.

Back