Anyone know this SL-C for sale on ebay?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I don't understand the vitriol about his asking price Damian. What's it matter to you what he's asking for it?

That does look nicely done, but I doubt that it's worth $175k. However, lots of things sell for far more than I'd pay for them. Sometimes people ask what are, for me, ridiculous prices, but still find buyers. Good luck to them.

At least with the SLC, you know (approximately) how much a brand new one will cost, done to the exact specification that you're willing to pay for.

The seller is doing his damnedest to inflate the price of the car KNOWING FULL WELL that it isn't worth that much as to your point barely any cars sold have broken the 100K mark used. It wastes times and turns off otherwise real buyers because it makes buyers feel as if the seller has his head up his toosh and thus puts a bad taste in prospective buyers eyes.

This is not a marque that carries the nut swing a Ferrari or Porsche does so when trying to win over people in that market ( the guy buying used doesn't want to mess with it). There are far to many super cars / high end sports cars out there in the same price range which have real resale value and have been appreciating in value which makes the SL-C which is an obscure brand even harder to sell. Yes the race guys know what it is will buy but the guy cross shopping cars isn't going to see it the same way you all do. It is worth whatever someone will pay for it and a Porsche or a Ferrari when resale is taken into account most will look and say ummmm no thanks. Leasing (A.K.A. changing cars like underwear) is more common than you older guys like to think and the younger generation that is more value oriented can't justify those asking prices on ANY level. To prove my point your line of "The car is worth whatever someone will pay for it." proves my point exactly .. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THOSE DELUSIONAL OWNERS THINKS IT'S WORTH ANYWHERE NEAR THAT! All you have to do is look at the completed sales of USED NOT NEW DELIVERED WITH CUSTOM THIS AND THAT SL-C's and my case is PROVEN.

Intentionally inflating a market does no one any good. Cars get listed and never sold and the old "well if I don't get my asking price I'm not selling it nonsense gets spouted. Better of saying I have no real intention of selling my car unless some moron pays me enough to buy another one and do it all over again. Similar to when your wife makes to list something for sale but has no idea of the value so you put 1,000,000 as a sale price and you get to say look honey I listed it but no one was liquid now LOLOLOLOL. That's my problem with inflated asking prices. The real world has spoken and proven it NOT to be a 100K+ car used on a normal basis. Now one like that red one with that nifty intake and all MIGHT sell for more BUT it's going to be a big swing and only stands as an exception and shouldn't be factored into what the market is for a normal used SL-C is worth. Remember what the real cost is for a NEW one all in and than think about the used asking price. It makes no sense on any level unless they are the proverbial fool and you all know what happened to his $ right?

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
So you're upset that a guy is asking a high price because you think it's ruining the ability of other people to sell a brand of car you don't even own. I'm sorry, but that's just not rational.

The seller is doing his damnedest to inflate the price of the car KNOWING FULL WELL that it isn't worth that much as to your point barely any cars sold have broken the 100K mark used. It wastes times and turns off otherwise real buyers because it makes buyers feel as if the seller has his head up his toosh and thus puts a bad taste in prospective buyers eyes.

This is not a marque that carries the nut swing a Ferrari or Porsche does so when trying to win over people in that market ( the guy buying used doesn't want to mess with it). There are far to many super cars / high end sports cars out there in the same price range which have real resale value and have been appreciating in value which makes the SL-C which is an obscure brand even harder to sell. Yes the race guys know what it is will buy but the guy cross shopping cars isn't going to see it the same way you all do. It is worth whatever someone will pay for it and a Porsche or a Ferrari when resale is taken into account most will look and say ummmm no thanks. Leasing (A.K.A. changing cars like underwear) is more common than you older guys like to think and the younger generation that is more value oriented can't justify those asking prices on ANY level. To prove my point your line of "The car is worth whatever someone will pay for it." proves my point exactly .. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THOSE DELUSIONAL OWNERS THINKS IT'S WORTH ANYWHERE NEAR THAT! All you have to do is look at the completed sales of USED NOT NEW DELIVERED WITH CUSTOM THIS AND THAT SL-C's and my case is PROVEN.

Intentionally inflating a market does no one any good. Cars get listed and never sold and the old "well if I don't get my asking price I'm not selling it nonsense gets spouted. Better of saying I have no real intention of selling my car unless some moron pays me enough to buy another one and do it all over again. Similar to when your wife makes to list something for sale but has no idea of the value so you put 1,000,000 as a sale price and you get to say look honey I listed it but no one was liquid now LOLOLOLOL. That's my problem with inflated asking prices. The real world has spoken and proven it NOT to be a 100K+ car used on a normal basis. Now one like that red one with that nifty intake and all MIGHT sell for more BUT it's going to be a big swing and only stands as an exception and shouldn't be factored into what the market is for a normal used SL-C is worth. Remember what the real cost is for a NEW one all in and than think about the used asking price. It makes no sense on any level unless they are the proverbial fool and you all know what happened to his $ right?

What do you figure it costs to build the car at a normal shop rate of $75 an hour all in with bells and whistles. Not sure about you, but my time is worth something, and some people care to just buy a finished car. Not spend a year building it.
If you are talking a track car, it can be done relatively quick on labor. Not a full optioned street car. Nearly double the time involved.
Considering there is only one or two for sale at any point, the cars up for sale at the time make the market for the guys that want one finished, thats what they will have to pay. I have only heard of one for sale under $100k, and it went in a week or two.

I have no problem with cars being offered for sale at a price that nobody will pay. No one is forcing you to buy it. What downside are you seeing from unrealistic asking prices?

However, I doubt that these cars will ever be worth what they'd cost to build if you charge commercial rates for labour. There are simply too many good, proven production cars for that, IMO. It may help those that decide / need to sell theirs at more realistic prices though.

I should have bought the turbo Toyota powered SL-C car in Canada for 65K. It needed a little work to finish it up, but it was a great deal at that price.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to su-fur-ring....

Geez, dude. Zoloft is your friend.

(And yes, I know that is Dark Helmet.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 322
Holy Cow
Take a pill already.

Selling an SLC is like listing a "Porsche" for sale...uhhh... well, what the hell kind of Porsche? a 914 or a 918? They both carry the name Porsche.

Same issue with an SLC, some are lower end cars, some, like this one are high end builds. It will take much longer to sell the top end car as for sure it will have more market competition. Even so in reality, are there any sub-200k cars that can hold a candle to this particular car? Performance, Exclusivity? I can't think of even ONE.

And BTW This IS a new car.

I should have bought the turbo Toyota powered SL-C car in Canada for 65K. It needed a little work to finish it up, but it was a great deal at that price.

It needs lots of work. Ask me how I know. :worried: But, for the price I did pay for it, there was room to buy all the parts it should have come with.

Holy Cow
Take a pill already.

Selling an SLC is like listing a "Porsche" for sale...uhhh... well, what the hell kind of Porsche? a 914 or a 918? They both carry the name Porsche.

Same issue with an SLC, some are lower end cars, some, like this one are high end builds. It will take much longer to sell the top end car as for sure it will have more market competition. Even so in reality, are there any sub-200k cars that can hold a candle to this particular car? Performance, Exclusivity? I can't think of even ONE.

And BTW This IS a new car.

Thats exactly the problem. This would be a hard car to sell online because the build quality can vary soooooo much. Unless someone knows that it takes twice as long to go from a 90% build to a 100% optioned out build, you get classified into the lower class, and price.
It's the reason I do build threads. Mostly for the resale of the car so you can prove build quality and parts. I personally plan to go to auction when I sell mine. That way you can communicate what has been done and show in person to potential buyers and explain what makes the car unique from other builds.

Jeez man, this feels personal.

Might want to check yourself before you riggity wreck yourself. To quote Ice Cube.

Cars by and large are not money makers and most of us pretty well know that. There's nothing wrong with trying to get the most money you can and you can't get it if you don't ask.

1 - I like Roberto's car, it's nice

2 - If you want to be a dick hole and sit there and list every reason it isn't worth that, then go back to the Factory Five forums and join in the circle jerk they have going on over there whereby they feel the need to come up with every reason why a Cobra/GTM isn't worth more than $20k.

Old thread revive!

Cars are very rarely investments. So I laugh when people say 'my investment'. Uh no dude, it's either transportation or a hobby.

And your labor is worth essentially nada because GM has more consistent laborers and better processes, all at about $22/ hour. So your labor isn't worth $55/ hour. It's probably not even worth $5/ hour. Accept that it's a hobby that you enjoyed and you don't get paid for it.

I love the SL-C but none of these type of cars are worth what some people believe.

~ take care

Back