Anyone know this SL-C for sale on ebay?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
That's scary from the standpoint of a potential buyer...Fran says the SLC is easier to construct than an RCR40, so it's logical to predict that it would be less expensive, too. Perhaps the kit is not as complete as the RCR40?

Custom fabrication can be quite expensive...and that's the route I'd need to take, as I have neither the skills nor the equipment. As I have always said, the component package that requires the least additional investment is going to be the way I go. Right now the Tornado products are sounding pretty good, very complete package. The only thing that causes me second thoughts is that sends my $$ out of the country and there have been some threads on the forum that have not been very complimentary regarding the company's customer service...

Good luck, Al...I hope you get what you need to cover your financial investment...most component builds don't sell for much more than that, as I understand it...no way to recoup the $$ that the time you put in on the projects would be worth.

Cheers!

Doug

I have no illusions about my getting paid for my labor. I know an SLC can be built for $80-$85k but they can skyrocket into the mid to upper $100k area. I think it would be better to say the SLC can be built from $80 to $200k depending on the extent and finish of build. I would guarantee that Fran has way north of $200k in his race car. Hell, an engine can eat up $50k to $100k+ in a hurry, brakes, suspension, etc.

That's scary from the standpoint of a potential buyer...Fran says the SLC is easier to construct than an RCR40, so it's logical to predict that it would be less expensive, too. Perhaps the kit is not as complete as the RCR40?

Custom fabrication can be quite expensive...and that's the route I'd need to take, as I have neither the skills nor the equipment. As I have always said, the component package that requires the least additional investment is going to be the way I go. Right now the Tornado products are sounding pretty good, very complete package. The only thing that causes me second thoughts is that sends my $$ out of the country and there have been some threads on the forum that have not been very complimentary regarding the company's customer service...

Good luck, Al...I hope you get what you need to cover your financial investment...most component builds don't sell for much more than that, as I understand it...no way to recoup the $$ that the time you put in on the projects would be worth.

Cheers!

Doug

Thanks Doug.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have no illusions about my getting paid for my labor. I know an SLC can be built for $80-$85k but they can skyrocket into the mid to upper $100k area. I think it would be better to say the SLC can be built from $80 to $200k depending on the extent and finish of build. I would guarantee that Fran has way north of $200k in his race car. Hell, an engine can eat up $50k to $100k+ in a hurry, brakes, suspension, etc.

Brakes and suspension are not included in the kit? :shocked:

That would be another red flag...love the looks of the SLC and if it were financially feasible I'd have considered attempting one...but would hate to have to take a loss when I reached a point at which the $$ was not available for additional parts without which the car cannot be driven.

In the end I think that an unfinished GT40 will be my only shot at having a mid-engined GT style car...as long as the "unfinished" part doesn't have to include expensive fabrication or parts. Mechanically I am competent for all but the most arduous tasks (the posi in my Cobra needs to be rebuilt and I have no interest in tackling that myself, that sort of thing), but if I would have to chase parts or hire others to perform expensive tasks (like program a computer, etc) significant consideration would be given to choosing a different project.

I really admire guys like you, Al, who have all those technical skills. I've followed your progress and am sorry to see you selling, was hoping to be able to send congratulations when you took that first drive. Any plans for future projects?

Cheers to you, Al!!!

Doug

That would be another red flag...love the looks of the SLC and if it were financially feasible I'd have considered attempting one...but would hate to have to take a loss when I reached a point at which the $$ was not available for additional parts without which the car cannot be driven.

In the end I think that an unfinished GT40 will be my only shot at having a mid-engined GT style car...as long as the "unfinished" part doesn't have to include expensive fabrication or parts. Mechanically I am competent for all but the most arduous tasks (the posi in my Cobra needs to be rebuilt and I have no interest in tackling that myself, that sort of thing), but if I would have to chase parts or hire others to perform expensive tasks (like program a computer, etc) significant consideration would be given to choosing a different project.

I really admire guys like you, Al, who have all those technical skills. I've followed your progress and am sorry to see you selling, was hoping to be able to send congratulations when you took that first drive. Any plans for future projects?

Cheers to you, Al!!!

Doug

Brakes and suspension are included, but brake upgrades for racing can cost $18k+ and Racing coilovers can be the same. $200k can be dropped in a heatbeat for a race car. If your thinking about building one at a reasonable price, call Alan in CT, he doe nice work and is quite sane in his pricing.

Almost like a boat, without the water. A hole you just keep chucking money into. It's amazing how fast it adds up.

There's a saying about boats: the two best days with a boat are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it. I have two boats, so I'm painfully aware of this.

Somehow I think it's different with your SL-C's.....there's a whole bunch of fun and exciting stuff in between!

Cheers to you, Al!!!

Doug

The SLC is a very complete kit. There is no need for the upgrades that some people want unless you are a pro driver. I have done 3 GT40's and an SLC from RCR and have driven all of them very hard on the track. I will tell you that you will have more time and money in the GT40 than you will in the SLC of the same quality. There is no comparison.

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk offline.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would add, don't confuse real door to door racing and open track cars. What's the difference? Racing means wining and wining means full on 100% laps, lap after lap and beyond when passing for the lead. Tires are everything and to run at the front usually means a significant tire budget. Don't forget rebuild times on engines, GRBXs, calipers, and on and on are much more frequent and costly.

Open track cars like mine, can be run in the mid 90% range and can be nearly as much fun in the 80s if the car is really fast. Maintenance, although still necessary, can be done at you leisure and usually is much farther between cycles. It's really a check things a lot and replace when necessary program instead of a time change program. And tires are good as long as they are safe and go as fast as you want them to. Nobody every wins races on old tires.

Running full on race engines are not necessary and with no rules, a open track engine on pump gas can make every bit as much HP as a race engine on race fuel. Just make it bigger since there isn't engine capacity rules for track day cars.

So a safe open track car can be built for far less than a $100K more like 80ish and still run laps fast enough to scare the shit out you.

My SBC cost me about 6000 all in and will certainly make north of 500hp easy on pump gas for example and the brakes are Wilwoods that cost a third of Alcons and will do every thing I want them to. Just the brakes and engine saved me at least 20 grand or more over a race worthy setup.

Ron Earp

Admin
"Racing" brakes for $18k? And "Racing" coilovers for $18k? Can I sell you guys some parts, please?

With ducting and proper pad selection, attention to rotor and hat, the AP or Wilwood brakes on the car will race as is - I know, I've been there. I don't know what shocks are on the car, but if QA1s if you get the dyno plots from them and with a revalve they can do the job for a club racer, AFTER you've tuned your spring and bar package.

"Racing" brakes for $18k? And "Racing" coilovers for $18k? Can I sell you guys some parts, please?

With ducting and proper pad selection, attention to rotor and hat, the AP or Wilwood brakes on the car will race as is - I know, I've been there. I don't know what shocks are on the car, but if QA1s if you get the dyno plots from them and with a revalve they can do the job for a club racer, AFTER you've tuned your spring and bar package.

Ron, I have Wilwoods on my car. My car wasn't built as a race car. I'm just saying that you can spend one heck of a lot of money on a race car if that's your desire.

Back