Anyone know what heads/valve covers these are?

11-17-08.gif

They look nice, they pretty much make the engine look like it is DOHC which I prefer...

Are there any other alternatives that are similar in design?

Thanks for all the info guys and yep it's from Bill Mitchell's site.

So I was googling around, I mean I'm not that 'up' on American engines, been trying to get my head around all the LSx engines recently, but didn't know anything about Hemi/Mopar stuff and came across this...

MOPAR PRO SHOP - GALEANA WHOLESALE.COM - VIPER V10 GEN 1 COMPLETE ENGINE ASSEMBLY W/O PCM

I mean sure its the 'Gen 1' engine but its a freaking crate V10 for $6750! :stunned:

Am I missing something here? SL-C? Fran?

V10..Big , heavy, bad support from the tuning community...

Now the HEMI...now we are talking...
I have already spent lots of time on that one...already have the adapter plate done to a G50...the Ricardo would be a no brainer....winkwink..see you in the New Year.

If the Mopar [65-66 style]hemi will fit in the RCR GT40 chassis,I'd like to know if the fabled mid-sixties('64 I think) big block Ford 'cammer' will fit.Due to the width of the heads,what would be the header set-up;180 x-over still work or would conventional headers be more feasible? Always thought this motor was too large. I could measure an engine if needed. A.J.

Last edited:
Ben,if you like the idea/look of an overhead cam engine,why not go the Ford modular 4.6/5.4 route.It's been done and conversion parts are available.Members on this forum have already done this and worked out the bugs for you.With anything other than the Ford or Chevy,you're going to spend megabucks to get up into the horsepower range that you can have cheaply and reliably with these motors. A.J.

Ron, I know it sounds a bit silly but yeah, it's purely a looks thing, I'm just not a fan of American push rod engines, I hope that doesn't sound bad.

And although I am not suggesting for a second that America can't produce power with push rod engines, it's just never seemed....'right' (efficient?) to me, I guess I've just gotten a bit used to working on my bike and being exposed to European engines.

AJ I've talked with Fran on the 5.4 engine.....it really really is a big heavy beast and it is HUGE dimensionally (mostly wide). I love the Romeo engine, cheap BIG power and so easily upgraded to like 800bhp with quite simple external mods! Crazy! But.... everyone is going to do a V8.... Ford or Chevy in one way or another... different can be good? Right? And really who needs so much power in something so light?

So anyway, I'm derailing my own thread to keep the forum tidy: Viper crate engines :drunk:

Fran is indeed correct, heavy and longer but by how much?

I googled to my hearts content and could only find a couple of bits of information so nothing is conclusive, it looks like the Viper V10 is about 6inches longer than an LS1 engine (near as damnit 35" vs 29") and as for weight I could only find was potentially around 600lbs all in vs say an LS1 at around 460lbs all in (please feel free to correct me on any LSx dimensions), so 140lbs/64kg's heavier.... I can live with that :D

As for power, it seems there is HUGE tuning community and big (and I do mean BIG) power is available at surprisingly low prices is there, take for example a *complete* supercharged package for around $7300:

https://www.viperspecialtyperforman...id=69&osCsid=7c1b5a369d2620b3d1e2c211f687a446

Check the dyno's here:

Roe Racing: FAQ

And I keep seeing talk of complete turbo kits for around $15000 for like 900bhp+, it's insane considering the cost of the Gen1/Gen2 crate engines....

And besides for once I think I'd be happy with the stock 450bhp and 490ftlbs of toque! If not the Roe kit is the answer for easy DIY upgrade!

So Fran, how about it? I guess there are two questions...

1) Will it fit length wise? (I'm guessing if the 5.4 fits width wise anything else will go :laugh: but just in case this is what I found: top to bottom - 26", front to rear - 34-1/2", width across the valve covers - 23").

2) What tranny?

If I recall correctly the Ricardo/GT was a little on the long side already so V10+Ricardo is probably out of the question? :cry:

Also I would imagine there are no existing designs for motor mounts/bellhousings and the exhausts and potentially the intake I can see being a problem if you can't rotate it....

SL-C V10 though....... mmmm

Ben,

it wont fit with the Ricardo for sure....

The tuning of the electronics gets pricy....I have a pal here intown with one in his Cobra....huge big beastie...

Anything can be made to fit but what are you prepared to compromise on...interior space , fuel capacity. overall balance of the car....its an endless list...

If you dont want pushrod then do a Lexus DOHC turbo set up....we know that fits ...no issues...

What about this one than
v106yr.jpg

5 l
507 PS/7750 RPM
520 NM/6100 RPM
max RPM 8250 ( imagine that sound)
500 km
on ebay now
MOTOR BMW M5 E60/E61 V10 507 PS aus Bj. 2007 / 500 km bei eBay.de: Antrieb, Motor Getriebe (endet 28.12.08 16:00:00 MEZ)

some guys in a town next to me, picked one car up at the local dealership for a testride, this is what they did with it. I can tell you the dealer was not happy for needing a new set of tires.
BMW V10 drift - X-Faktor - MyVideo

Crazy people out there, but you can hear the sound and see how this thing goes

TOM

Last edited:
Hi Ben,

I initially was interested in the V-10, having a race-prepped Viper GTS/ACR in my past. I believe that the length will prohibit its use without significant compromises to the interior (at the least). True, there are a multitude of high performance Viper shops to get the V10 into the stratosphere of HP numbers. But the same can be said for the LS-series. My Viper never achieved close to the MPG that the LS can! The 575 Maranello engine is about the same length as the V10 so that was ruled out (rats!!). Perhaps that BMW engine is shorter?

You could even do a BMW 4.0/4.4 v8.Same configuration but shorter.I have one in my 7 series and even stock it pulls the 3900lb sedan around quite well.

Ben,

While pondering engines, take into consideration whether the intake manifold can be reversed or at least modified to allow good air induction. I cant recall whether the V10's manifold has a symmetric bolt pattern and runner port pattern. The accessory drives will add to the overall length as well. Perhaps the Mercedes V8 AMG or the 6.3?

Ron Earp

Admin
R
So anyway, I'm derailing my own thread to keep the forum tidy: Viper crate engines :drunk:

Fran is indeed correct, heavy and longer but by how much?

I googled to my hearts content and could only find a couple of bits of information so nothing is conclusive, it looks like the Viper V10 is about 6inches longer than an LS1 engine (

I'm sure you realize that the Viper is a pushrod engine, the ones you don't like? :shocked:

Supercharge an LS motor and be done with it. It'll make more power than the BMW V10 or V8, and with some work as much as the blown Ford mod motors (I've been fooling with supercharged 5.4L mod motors for a good while). It'll also be smaller and lighter than the aforementioned and it'll be relatively inexpensive to boot. Good blower kits can be had for around $6k, purchase a LSX series motor from a good builder and it'll be quite inexpensive and have all the trick hardware to boot.

Ben,

While pondering engines, take into consideration whether the intake manifold can be reversed or at least modified to allow good air induction. I cant recall whether the V10's manifold has a symmetric bolt pattern and runner port pattern. The accessory drives will add to the overall length as well. Perhaps the Mercedes V8 AMG or the 6.3?

Yeah, mentioned this above, if it can I'm wondering if there will then be issues with the dual throttle boddies.

The thing is its not that there aren't plenty of other nice engines out there (American or otherwise, I'm not wholey against an American engine, the LS7 would be my first choice), but what essentially the criteria I am aiming for is a brand new *complete* drop in engine, that is *repeatable* (ie. if it dies or you want another for whatever reason you can get another one new) for reasonable money putting out around 500bhp.

My friend works for Mercedes, a crate 55AMG engine costs....now sit down.......around £50,000, not dollers, pounds. Seems silly since the cost of the original car, but we honestly looked through the parts system, the BMW prices won't be much off that either.

Yeah the Viper engine is also push rod but like I said, I'm not totally against the idea of push rod engines, I'm just more used to DOHC engines, that saying from what I can tell, doing valve clearences on push rod is a damn sight easier isn't it? :D

It'll just be nice to be a little different right? I mean thats why we want to build these in the first place and I mean (no offense AT ALL is meant to ANYONE) the usual seems to be the LSx route, for RCR SL-C, for Ultima GTR, for FFR GTM and for a lot of other kit cars.... It would be nice to get a little of the exotic edge, SL-C V10.... it's got a ring to it right? :thumbsup:

But alas if major compromises will have to be made to make it fit, then LS7 it'll have to be. I thought there might have been room behind the seats to extent the engine compartment but entirely forgot the fuel tank was there and also there are crossbeams in the frame anyway.

If you could get around the crossbeams somehow, could some sort of alternative split fuel tank be done? Find some new places to cram a couple of tanks?

Doc, assuming the dimensions I have found for both the V10 and LS7 are measuring the same points (purely the block) then the V10 is 6inches longer, if you have both engines would you do me a wonderful favour and measure both from 'bellhouse face' to the longest point on the other side (or to the longest point that couldn't be easily remove/relocated). If its 6inches difference, that isn't much right? :thumbsup:

I'm sure Fran would like to see a V10 in the SL-C...... :evil:

Back