Anyone tried a 996/997 tiptronic???

I'm new to the forums but have been perusing for a couple of months now and haven't seen/heard of any tiptronics out there. I'm going to build an SLC as soon as I get the three houses I just bought flipped and the only confidence issue I have is the transmission! I'm going for an LS2 or LS3 but can't even remotely decide on a tranny. The 930 is appealing because they're cheaper but the 4 speeds cause me hesitation. The G50 is most appealing functionally but the price makes my hind end pucker most profusely! This leads me to the tiptronic. It's 5 speeds and is much cheaper than the G50. There's a 997 C2 unit on Ebay for $4,999.99 which isn't too bad. I assume I would need a control unit($500.00), shifter($150.00) and steering wheel with shift buttons($350.00) but beyond that it doesn't seem like too bad a deal. So now for the pressing questions. 1) Will it fit in the chassis? 2) How much extra weight are we talking? 3) Will it handle 500whp in a 2200lb car??? 4) I've read something about flipping the tranny so it works properly but I don't understand exactly what that entails. Would the tip be compatible with this procedure?

I hope this wasn't a totally retarded thread but I just want to make sure I check into all options before dropping twice as much on my tranny as I do my motor:uhoh: Thanks in advance for all the help guys!!!

I think your biggest problem will be connecting the tranny computer with the LSx engine. Since the tiptronic is still basically an auto transmission, it will somehow have to know engine RPM, load etc to figure out when to shift. Trying to interface Porsche electronics with a GM engine is probably not that easy....

Good luck with the project, though!

So a tiptronic is out of the question.. HAHA! I'm sure someone could make it work but I'm positive I'm not that guy;)

Thanks guys!

What made you come to the conclusion that it's out of the question? Sounds like a 996/997 one is out, but what about a Boxster/Cayman one? Those can obviously already handly 300HP in a 3200 pound car, so it's not out of the question that one could be made to handle 500HP in a 2200 pound car.

--Donnie

I would assume the wiring and such would still be a nightmare??? I'm "handy" with cars but an expert mechanic by no means so it may be easier on my sanity to stick with a manual even though it will impact the wallet a bit more. I'm still going thru the transaxles forums but if you know of any that are of particular interest, please point them out!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Have you ever heard of a company called Bauman? They make something called the Bauman Transmission Controller. It's a stand alone computer that controls just the transmission. We have used them on Fords before, but I would bet they could do something for you. May be worth a call to them to see what they could do and at what price. That's the only place I can think of that could help you. Baumann Electronic Controls Home Page

Laters,

Brian

I didn't call Baumann but it appears they deal in mainly Ford stuff. I had a new idea while I was digging into the transaxle forums a bit deeper... What about a 930, G50, or something close and use an aftermarket pneumatic/hydraulic sequential setup?! I know how to drive a stick quite well but I think with this sort of an exotic vehicle a sequential setup(as close to a real LeMans car as possible) would be wicked:) Also, there was talk about ??ZF?? which had this sort of a sequential setup installed on it( Howstuffworks "How Sequential Gearboxes Work" )but I know absolutely zilch about that tranny! Keep in mind while we're sorting all this out, I plan on 500whp. I know the car's light and all but I don't want to be pushing the breakage limit:/

Howard Jones

Supporter
I really think you should give California motorsports a call and ask away. I have spoke to them at lenght about my project and they put together a proposed complete powertrain package together from the flywheel to the output flanges, including shifter, custom gearset, LSD, starter, CV joints, etc.

Really a one stop shop.

I have no fiancial interest there, just a good word for them.

There is one of these gearboxes on Ebay at the moment for just $100 US
Have a look at the pictures and it will give you an idea of how it works. You will have to run the gearbox upside down unless you want 5 reverse gears! There is the problem. Can you run an automatic upside down?
How about this for a few ideas.
Instead of running the box with a torque converter, how about converting it to a manual clutch? B&M used to make an adapter package to convert autos to manuals. Quite easy to machine up the required stuff to do this. Then you can run it with paddle shifters. Ditch the computer controller and make up a manual valve body controller.
But we still have the problem of running it upside down. Check out the Ebay picture of the tranny. There is a driveshaft running up the side of the gearbox on the outside of the casing. With a bit of creativity, it could be done to have a planetary gearset popped in there to reverse the shaft rotation. Ahh but then the crownwheel will be running on the coast side of the gearface .. oh well, cant have it all!
Might be easier to just run the gearbox upside down and convert it to 'drysump' to run the valves!!! :)

There is one of these gearboxes on Ebay at the moment for just $100 US
Have a look at the pictures and it will give you an idea of how it works. You will have to run the gearbox upside down unless you want 5 reverse gears! There is the problem. Can you run an automatic upside down?
Might be easier to just run the gearbox upside down and convert it to 'drysump' to run the valves!!! :)

You answered your own question- wouldnt be a big deal to a Kiwi- I can think of some other nationalities that would create an impossible task out of it though, as well as decimate a couple of forest's:)

Jac Mac

JD,

I'm building a kit now, and found a used G50 at a decent price, so that's what I'm going to stick with.

However, if I had it do over, I'd use what is called a V-drive, which allows you to use a conventional transmission (say from a Corvette), and then direct the power back to your rear differential via a custom drive shaft.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and moreover it can be done by anyone who fabricates drive shafts (which is common in amateur racing).

Try the website "Diablo Builders Forum" (Index :: Kit c e n t r a l :: Lamborghini Diablo And Other Kit Car Builder's Support Group) and do a search function there on V-drive and you'll find it.

What is nice about the V-drives is they are easy to find (new or used), and accomodate very large amounts of horsepower without modification (typically 800 hp or more).
Basically what a V-drive does is redirect power from a spinning drive shaft back in the opposite direction.
So power from our Corvette transmission (which is pointing in the "wrong" direction for our GT40 kit) would be redirected to the differential in the rear.

You'd have to use an offset differential, but those are surprisingly easy to find (I like the one made by Quaife....nice piece of equipment).
(The reason the driveshaft is offset is because our engine in the exact middle of the car, so it needs to pass to the right or left of it)

Just an idea.

Chris

Back