Being in business

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
GaryS
My mistake. I thought I was on GT40s.com which is an open forum that my company sponsors.
I was just trying to help Gregg out trying to help somebody else out with spellings. Sorry mate!

Dean
Thanks for the advice. I will not reply again on this thread regardless of any idiotic reply to it. Just trying to help Gregg out.

Chuck
Actually 'spelt' and 'spelled' are both correct. Spelt is also a type of Wheat.

Gregg
In that case just one 'a' in way.

Thanks again. Its been fun as usual. Bye!

PS Gregg. Try and spot the deliberate mistake!

Andy, we are friends so listen when I say, you have to stay off the RCR threads for the good of your business. Take the high road.

If I saw a little old lady just about to step out in front of a truck my instinct would be to pull her back by the arm! It would probably end with her whacking me round the head with her handbag and being prosecuted for assault!!!! can you not see the anology Andy?

Or would you rather not know that you have a cartridge in that gun you are playing with that just happens to be pointing at your foot?

:idea:

Howard Jones

Supporter
There is of course another way to look at this. Do you want to wait until every single piece is in a pile at RCR before he sends you the totally complete "kit" or do you want to get on with the build and receive the remaining parts as you move forward. I would imagine that if he had to buy everything, store it, wait until he "had it all" before he shipped it to you then the price would be higher. Just a though.

I would prefer to have the main parts, Bodywork, chassis, suspension as soon as possible so that I could begin to locate things like the powertrain, cooling system, oil systems and some of the electrical system etc. And as the rest shows up I can put it onto the car.

The best way to do this really, if it was possible, would be to have things arrive as you need them. This would allow you to install the powertrain for example without needing to find someplace to store the bodywork.

In a small workspace this could really help.

Now I do understand the issue of having everything in your hands as soon as possible. There is a great deal of comfort in that. I mean after all, the OLD RF disaster was the biggest deal on this site for a long time and is still fresh in a lot of people minds but you can't assume every body's a crook and enjoy life at the same time.

I did my due diligence with RCR. I went there twice a few months apart. I waited until other customers began to finish cars. I looked at public records such as the B.B.B., state consumer affairs dept, etc. I gave special attention to the work in progress on the factory floor when I was there both times. I called a few times to see if anybody was home. I sent email's and checked on when they were viewed and noted when they were responded to.

After all that I went ahead and worked out what I wanted to buy from Fran face to face. Wrote it down, and gave him a down payment that was no more than the industry norm.

By the way I did the same thing with my gearbox. I went there, talked face to face, looked the place over, and made a carefully arranged deal.

I also set a reasonable time-frame for completion, let them do their job and, didn't bug them to death.

I certainly don't know any body's individual details so please don't read anything in to this other than what I have said but, if you like this hobby, building cars, then there is going to be times where everything just doesn't fall into place on a day by day schedule.

What else can you do? Buy a new Corvette I guess........ Write big check, drive it home. Not much of a hobby.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Howard

I personally have to disagree.
When I ordered and picked up my DRB all the parts I requested were there ready for pickup.

It made my build a lot easier as I did not have to worry about the remaining parts and allowed me to work on whichever part of the car I wanted to and not be restricted to only those parts I had while waiting for others which would have slowed down my build progress.

There are times during the build where you need certain parts to work in the relationship with other things and plan layout due to space restrictions.

The whole build process is then dictated by your own time frame and not at the whim of a supplier.

With my build it was planned to be completed in less than 12 months and that was achieved due to having everything on hand to trial fit and adjust as I Needed.

Just my own humble thoughts.
Dimi

I have absolutly no axe to grind in this discussion. I can tell you that shipping comes into play if you are not close enough to the supplier for will call or inexpensive shipping( I don't it exists anymore). If the cost of shipping doesn't bother you then it is an easy excercise for most kit suppliers to work up a proper build sequence and from that figure out what parts are needed and in what order. From that they could work out packages to meet your needs to follow that build sequence and sell you those packages as you progress. They could be priced in the same manner as they price the complete kits now -i.e. a percentage with the order and the balance when ready to ship. Just a thought from a guy who has been thru the experience of ordering and working with 1/2 a dozen kits.

40bud, some great ideas there. I can see a lot of advantages in supplying kits like that.

Howard also brings up an interesting point. If you have some or most of the major parts available for a customers GT40 kit, do you supply the kit early if the customer is in agreement. I haven't done that yet, but certainly would, but I would also not take full payment until the entire kit is delivered. That would suit some customers and others would prefer to wait for the entire kit.

Dimi, to compare apples with apples. The Australian RCR-40 buyers have had far more complex and comprehensive kit types delivered in a much shorter time than for your DRB kit. Is that saying anything bad about DRB? No, as I understand the complexities in getting these kits built and delivered and due to the workload these businesses have enjoyed, there has been a wait time. I believe in Australia the major local GT40 replica suppliers all give good customer service, are reliable and genuinely care about what they do. They are all enthusiasts. So the customer can concentrate on the different product offerings and decide which is the best for them. Anyway, hope you are getting plenty of enjoyment out of your GT40, it really is a credit to you in both quality and build time. Hoping to get the chance to see your GT40 in person one day.

This is the basic sequence that I used. This could have been used to generate basic kit stages so that you had the right parts at the right place in your build sequence. Keep in mind that this was for a specific make of car and is therefore only correct for my particular build, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Thanks 40Bud for sharing, that's exactly where you would start, create a build sequence list like that. I expect that it would also be quite a helpful guide to many GT40 builders on here.

I have had the distinct pleasure of knowing Fran for 5 years now, probably since the beginning of RCR.

He is an honest and diligent gentleman.

Needless to say, being in business is not an easy thing, and we cannot satisfy everyone all of the time.

Even Superformance discovered that some years ago when replica ZFs became scarce.

That said, I can only hope that this Aspira thing gets worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

As I said, Fran is an honest and decent gentleman.

That said, I never post. I am the senior Moderator of a major F-1 forum that will go un-named and I would never allow personal attacks like the one I have just witnessed. There is such a thing as private messages and e-mail.

I will probably not post here again for a few years, as I have nothing else to say.

Just my two cents and I have meant no offense to anyone.

Fran will probably figure out who I am and I now apologize for saying anything, but he's for real.

Good Night Gentlemen.

(Mr. J-Car in New Mexico).

Howard Jones

Supporter
Clearly there are several ways to skin a cat. I would think that just about anybody who every built a "kit" car has something to add on how he would do it differently.

My idea is just that, an idea that I think might suit me. Others will want things done differently. To each his own.

As I bulid my RCR I'll post my build on my build page. I promise straight forward, clear and fair information. I don't throw mud. I don't like mud on me either. That's just me. If your word isn't good then who are you. Same with me. I am what I do.

Mmmm

One of my customers doesn't like the hamburger or fries I made. I'm not happy with one of my suppliers.

Ooohh well - let's just jump on a 'forum' and tell all. Don't worry about contacting each other or going to a 'face to face' position.

I really believe that some people are not cognizant that these forums are public places.

'Posting' a grievance here is similiar to writing your thoughts along a building, taking a page in a newspaper or a television add.

This is a public place for anyone to see.

In most of the cases more people view the forums than any of these other media. Just witness the suppliers moving rapidly to 'web' based advertising and trading. Not to mention eBay etc. etc.

My point is with forums you generally get your message or grievance across. However, a lot of people who do not understand what the issue is, read and interpret your 'Post' in their own way. The danger they read into the 'Post' their own interpretations.

Mmmm again why go on this 'Public Forum'

Others, whom are opposition just jump on to have a dig. The old kick him whilst he is down. I know these people have done little if anything, for their own reputations or businesses.

Again, my point is the danger of 'Posting' if you have an issue. Basically go visit the person and then if you find you are not satisfied take you problem to the relevant legal people. Then 'Post' the result of this litigation for all to see.

Another obvious danger.

OK, I want to buy a particular vehicle - I'm a customer.

I do a search online for the the name and guess what. This search links to this forum and I sit and read my potential suppliers 'Post'. I read other owners views and witness the opposition companies snipping at my potential supplier.

Mmmm would I still do business with this potential supplier after reading his 'Thread' and 'Post'? Would I get my car?

I think this is a classic shot yourself in the foot by a business person. Not to mention the hand grenade the opposition have just dropped in their own back yard.

Maybe I'm wrong..

Bernie

Gee'zz

Yes I have poor speeling when I don't care who reads oit. Why is this thread continue regarding integrity if there is no problme with the company. what really mad me chuckle osis the hamberger man...:'0 If I waas ordrering a stupeid hamburger that cost $60,000.00 + and i specifically ask for mustard on the side..then mustard better dam well be on the side. Yes !! I have porr spellling and pore grameer. But I did not LOOSE anybig $$$ with RF like most of the GENIUSSEEESSS out there.. I must be crazy or have one to many shot of tiqillla when im readyg the forum... oh boy!!! you geniusses withl have fun with this post ;0..

Back