Best KIT for the buck.

I would really love to get into a GT40 kit (replica, copy- whatever you want to call them), and am wondering what the best kit for the buck is. I am mostly concerned with handlin, performance, and price. I am also about 6'1", and around 210 lbs, so it would really help if I could FIT the car. So far the only kits I've really taken a good look at are RF and NZ. I want to have a great looking, fast car (around 160 or so) that I can use as an occasional driver, with (maybe) a few trips to a track. Thanks for any/ all opinions.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
August,

Be very careful with cars that have not been complied with Australian Design Rules (ADR"s)as the car will be much more difficult to register.

An example of this is that the NZ kit does not have intrusion bars in the doors as is required. You would be required to manufacture and fit intrusion bars into your kit and have them tested by a registered engineer. These things all cost you money.

I know I am a manufacturer and I have good reasons to tell you this but the registration path in Australia is a very difficult one and you have over 50 ADR"s to comply to and the non Australian cars DO NOT comply.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hey Roaring Forties,

Are you sure the NZ kit doesn't have side intrusion bars?

I got this quote from their website.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Doors have steel hinge gear and intrusion bars bonded in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm pretty much a car noob tho, so maybe what you were meaning is that they have intrusion bars, but they don't comply with Australian standards
confused.gif

Gordon Levy (not exactly a svelt sized person) took my son (6'2" 260 pounds) out for a spin in a RF40 and both claimed to be comfortable although they were shoulder to shoulder. I doubt that a small carry-on would have fit in the passenger compartment. I am 6'1" 200 pounds and had no problems at all.

G

Since August is apparently from Tacoma, Washington, USA, he'd care about Australian registration standards because...????????

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Bayard:
"...Because he might like to survive a side impact crash?..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With an Australian?

These are some very short cars. With the top of the car being only about 40" off the ground I can see some other concerns as well; what with SUV bumpers occasionally being high enough that you have to look up to them and all.

The RF car is built to Aussie specs. I would be interested in knowing if they've looked at the NZ car up close? I've seen the picture of the door in the NZ, and it does appear to have a beam running down it. In fact, I talked (extensively) with Mr. Ware about getting one of the NZ cars. I like the NZ car.

As a disclaimer, keep in mind also, that I'm (almost) a manufacturer of a replica. Our car, the M40, isn't being designed specifically to meet Australian Design Rules, but it is being set up to meet SCCA homologation standards for safety. I do not know if these standards are the same as the ADRs in all respects.

From the GT40s I've been in and worked with, there's a finite amount of things you can do to fit into the car - they're a bit more limited on space than (for instance) a Cobra. However, august, you seem to be about the same dimensionally as I am, so you'll probably fit into most of the replicas. Gordon Levy is a bit bigger than I am ('svelte' is not a word you'd use to describe him...sorry, Gordon!) and he seems to fit in the RF just fine.

I think that you're coming into the market at a great time; in the U.S. it looks like there's going to be a few more replicas of the '40 available. Look at the cars that are on the market, get some assembly manuals from the manufacturers, and go sit in the cars...oh, and watch your head when you close the door! Don't be in a rush to get a car just yet.

Also, you might want to check out some unfinished kits. Sometimes there are GREAT bargains to be had!

You've found a great website here; there are many knowledgeable members who can help you out with your decision.

Good luck in your search!

Your pal,
Meat.

Robert Logan

To Heath,

I believe that August is from Australia and this is the reason that I mentioned the ADR's. If the NZ kit has intrusion bars and I hope they have for driver / passenger safety, have they been tested to comply with ADR's. Has the car had the other 50 + ADR's also tested.

There is a friend of mine here in Melbourne that has TWO GTD's and he can not get the cars registered without paying a "Registered Signatory" to fully test all the relivent ADR's.

I firmly believe that Australia is one of the tuffest places to register a low volume car.

Could August please confirm place of residence !!!!!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Gentlemen,

Thank you gentlemen for supporting the facts.

Sounds like Roberts a bit worried. (Don’t worry Robert I have absolutely no interest in the Aussie market. I lived there for 8 years before going to the UK and saw the beaurecrat mess the country had got it self in. I first lost faith when they banned the facelift 500SL when it came out because “they had “no measures to test compliance to ADF rules” The car was too technologically good!! Germans 1 – Ignorant Aussie ADF Officials 0. Simply, it was a form of protectionism of the local market.)

I’d like to set the record straight.

nullGT40 NZ vehicles have side intrusion bars included in the door. We take safety seriously due to the performance of our cars and to the extent we consider include a MANN’s registered Rear Roll Over Bar as STANDARD (RF?). NZ has a stringent set of compliance laws which probably match most worldwide.

We do reference as many design laws such as tortional rigidity, (Queensland (Aust) require 6800 Nm per inch of rigidity ours is past 16,000 Nm.)

Currently the suspension is being re-certified by a TransAm professional chassis and suspension designer to improve the micro-adjustment of set-ups for racing (various Ackerman settings etc) thus benefiting the Road performance also. This is then tested by the leading NZ V8 Touring car champion.

I’d happily meet any requirements or suggestions for safety improvements it would be only diligent to do so. (frontal and side impact excluded at this point, I couldn’t bring myself to stack 4 or 5 cars!!)

As usual we are always happy to answer any queries.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roaring Forties:
"...I believe that August is from Australia and this is the reason that I mentioned the ADR's..."

"...Could August please confirm place of residence !!!!!!!!..."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...august's signature line says "Tacoma, WA." It's said that since this thread started.

Your pal,
Meat.

Hi August
Why not get in touch with Peter Ransom at DRB Sports Cars aka GT40Australia?
[email protected] or [email protected]
I know they build with anti intrusion and roll bars and comply with Qeensland torsional rigidity requirements.
DRBGT40s race competitively and often here in OZ.
HTH
Des

I just recieved my RF40 and am very impressed with the quality of the components and the packaging. Everything is present, literally the last nut and bolt. The varrious sub-assemblies are seperated which allows for ease of construction.

As a mechanical engineer and Father - this is a Father Son (17) project, I was very concerned with constructability, design and safety. I looked into the ADS and found them very demanding (some are strange - speedo must reside in center behind wheel - changed the Mini design also). I can fullly recomend that you look into the RF.

Hey ! Way to go Jay !
You are about to embark on a very fun journey with your son. Wish the two of you the very best. If there is any assistance I can offer, please ask.
One reason I chose this kit was because of the suspension and chassis design. When you have Carroll Smith and Mr. Shepeard involved
in the design then I know it's gonna be good. As you assemble the suspension componants you will see how well everything fits and how sturdy the A arms are.

Hersh
smile.gif

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

Hi August

I noted your enquiry and some of the comments regarding GT40 replica's and in particular the ability to fit larger, tall people comfortably in the cabin.

GT40 Australia manufacture the DRB GT40.

To provide a bit of history, DRB GT40 No1 is now 7 years old and has traveled over 80,000 km and is currently fitted with a 450 HP, EFI motor. It is regularly used in Motorsport Sprints, Drags, Hillclimbs and Circuit events. The car is 100% reliable and nothing has broken or fallen off. One of our cars has also won the circuit racing Marque Sports Car class of Queensland, Australia for the last 3 years with 100% reliability.

With some minor modifications, people up to 6'4" can fit in the DRB GT40. The seats and controls can be located to suit personal requirements. The "Gurney Bubble" option for the roof is also available.

DRB GT40 body/chassis units are available only as complete units with the body bonded and riveted to the chassis with the front and rear body sections and doors, including anti-intrusion beams, hinged and aligned. Aluminium panels are riveted to the chassis sills prior to the body being fitted.

To maintain the high standard of finish we believe that the factory should complete the body fitting work, where templates and jigs are used to achieve good panel fit and shut lines of the doors and body panels.

During the last 18 months, we have sold 5 DRB GT40's to USA customers. We are currently building an Advanced body/chassis unit and a Rolling chassis minus, minus for USA orders.

Peter Ransom
GT40 Australia

Robert Logan

Sorry guys but I thought that the WA stood for Western Australia. It is a fair mistake. Please check out Augusts thread on turbo charging and you will see my offer to put him in touch with a guy in Perth, Western Australia.

Again sorry but my geographical knowledge of ALL things American is not quiet up to scratch !!!!!!!!

Best wishes to all,

Robert

Ps.
We offer both full and half cages made in Chrome Molly if you need. Our standard roll over protection is excellent but because it is not ONE piece it can not be accepted in Australia for full blown racing (delete track days etc). GT40 NZ please do not think that I am worried about you invading us and taking over my market share. I only wish that a true head to head between ALL manufacturers would take place and an impartial view could be made of all our cars. I expect that this impartial view would be scewed towards some area such as road manners or even racing and would do little to silence the debate of which one is BEST !!!!!!!

I just love this forum and the fact that all our customers are being so well served and have the ability to make a worthy decision of where to send their hard earned cash. They also can have a very good belief that that company will honour their part of the bargin and deliver the highest quality goods in a expedient manner.

Long live the forum.

Hey Robert

Why not arrange for a "Battle Down Under"?
Invite cars from DRB and GTNZ to a get together with RF40. Surely one of your car
magazines down there would support that.

I think eventually we'll get head to head
GT40 comparisons in the US, but we need to get some more cars finished and meet
at a single point. May be a few years.

These comparisons don't necessarily have "winners" and "losers".
We'd just all like to see how similar/different they really are.

MikeD

Robert & Peter,

I'm all favour of future trans-Tasman (for those far away 1400 miles of Tasman Sea separate NZ from Australaia)head to head. It would be an excellent opportunity to see how we have and could develop better cars.

We could jointly devise the judging criteria.

I'm planning on going to the Melbounre Motorshow so that would be a good opportunity to meet, buy you a beer and have a chat.

Peter are you at the Melbourne show.

Back