Bill's CAV #193 Build - Canadian Made

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Hard to start a build on line when it's 90% done. A lot of parts made at home and other parts of B.C.

Attachments

• G0010453.JPG
    G0010453.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 1,429
  • GOPR0524.JPG
    GOPR0524.JPG
    471.1 KB · Views: 1,473
  • GOPR0520.JPG
    GOPR0520.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 1,420
  • GOPR0513.JPG
    GOPR0513.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 1,415

Bill Kearley

Supporter
A big problem was to find a distributor that fit under the fuel rails. The cure was to build my own from Holley parts and some time on a lathe, cut the top of and lower the rotor to fit a shorter cap, about 1 1/4". The window wheel will fit under the disc that holds the rotor,

Attachments

• GOPR0523.JPG
    GOPR0523.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 1,365
  • GOPR0504.JPG
    GOPR0504.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 1,322

Bill Kearley

Supporter
A new RBT from Texas. I wanted a oil temp gauge and don't need an oil cooler, lets put the sender down inside the breather.

Attachments

• GOPR0495.JPG
    GOPR0495.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 1,284
  • GOPR0496.JPG
    GOPR0496.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 1,294

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Took time out last winter to build this one, an original 1970 Boss 302. Me the dumb ass sold the rest of the car with a real 289 Hi-po in it. Need ideas for my next project.

Attachments

• GOPR0435.JPG
    GOPR0435.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 1,309
  • GOPR0422.JPG
    GOPR0422.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 1,282
  • GOPR0434.JPG
    GOPR0434.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 1,345

Bill Kearley

Supporter
About to finish a bit of wiring today then get the shop spic and span for a club dinner next weekend, pulled pork, baby ribs and all the other stuff.

Attachments

• GOPR0527.JPG
    GOPR0527.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 1,330
  • GOPR0411.JPG
    GOPR0411.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 1,316

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I am looking for longer external hex drive pins. At the moment only 9/16 of an inch drive service, I would like opinions on weather that,s enough or not. The other option was to shorten studs and use the internal hex pin but ?????
The difference I had to make with the dist. guts to fit under the Borla fuel rails. No one seem,d to have a dual sync distributor to work with Holly HP. and Borla 8 stack.

Attachments

• GOPR0531.JPG
    GOPR0531.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • GOPR0532.JPG
    GOPR0532.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 1,131

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
About to finish a bit of wiring today then get the shop spic and span for a club dinner next weekend, pulled pork, baby ribs and all the other stuff.
But Bill, Ross and I weren't invited! I think the drive pins are OK, it doesn't take a lot to transfer the torque so long as they are not excessively loose in the wheel pockets. Hard to believe it's gonna be ten years since the house on Elkhart Lake at the GT reunion.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Hi Rick, Hope all is well. It can't be ten years, it seems like yesterday. Dinner is on the 9th at 4pm. YOU AND ROSS AND THE LADIES ARE NOW INVITED ( this would be GREAT } You will fly into YVR ( Vancouver ) and then to ( yxt ) Terrace, I will pick you up.
The pins aren't a bad fit, I'd just like bit more surface area.
As for the crab cap, I wish, could have found one. Holley didn't make one.
I do appreciate the input, thanks

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Rick, Hope all is well. It can't be ten years, it seems like yesterday. Dinner is on the 9th at 4pm. YOU AND ROSS AND THE LADIES ARE NOW INVITED ( this would be GREAT } You will fly into YVR ( Vancouver ) and then to ( yxt ) Terrace, I will pick you up.
The pins aren't a bad fit, I'd just like bit more surface area.
As for the crab cap, I wish, could have found one. Holley didn't make one.
I do appreciate the input, thanks

Was in Vancouver a couple weeks ago to depart for an Alaskan cruise but thanks for the offer!

Bill Kearley

Supporter
All most finished the wiring. I want to put the signal control in the steering wheel by grounding the left or right circut. I was thinking about machining two teflon parts to work with old ford style horn ring brushes or I'm open to other ideas. Home made dash was the result of the fiberglass/leather one wasn't up to my liking, and a bit more room for enter and exiting.

Attachments

• GOPR0533.JPG
    GOPR0533.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • GOPR0534.JPG
    GOPR0534.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • GOPR0529.JPG
    GOPR0529.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • GOPR0468.JPG
    GOPR0468.JPG
    423.5 KB · Views: 1,184
  • GOPR0520.JPG
    GOPR0520.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Snow is trying to fall in the area and insurance on the bike is up on the 20th. Time to fire up the woodstove in the shop and get to work. My home made mix of Holley and MSD distributor is ready to put together and install. then fit the Borla bits with new fuel rails.
One question I have is why do I see, that in some suspension setups on 40s guys are using higher spring rates in the front than the rear??
I have QA1, 500s and 650s. Also I see that sometimes the rear is set at 0 deg. caster, should it not have 5 to 7 ?

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Bill,
what are your plans for routing the fuel lines? Looks like you go to the front!?
Are you planning on using a turkey pan or similiar heat shield?
I recommend to protect the TPS from the heat of the exhaust or even move it also to the front.....

Markus

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thanks for the input.
The fuel lines are all up front, fuel pump is mounted in front of the crankshaft. One supply and one return from the fuel regulator.
I did think of a turkey pan to work as a base for an air filter but with Borla 8 stack, a lot of work?? I am still not sure what I will do for an air filter. The small motor cycle type I think will be to restrictive, I'd like a larger air box fitted to the air horns.
Yes a heat shield will mount on the rear of the intake to keep some heat away from the fuel rails and crossover.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Wood stove making heat in the shop. Brake lines all run, pedal asy. in. Spent half the day on my head. Shocks in,wheel alignment, home made distributor in and timed. A little more work to do on the dash and hope to install it for the last time. Still looking for nostril hinges, cooling system all plumbed. I have a question about insulation under rear clam. What is the best mat type "pad" I can put on the fiberglass above the headers? Seat tracks installed on the seats but I see a big pain mounting them to the floor, no room for fingers.

Back