Bob's GT Forte scratch build.

Keith.
No intrusion and a valid point.
This is a scratch build, I did not use the laser cut kit.
Jigs, however, were used welded up from 40 by 60mm box section.
(It's now for sale if anyone wants it)
When I ran Teal Cars I had welders, jigs, guillotines, wheeling machine etc etc.
Now I have "experience" and, being retired, time to do it again and again until I am happy with the result.
As they say, "time will tell".
Oh, and I have an award for Innovation presented by "Royalty".
Beat that!

Keith

Oh, and I have an award for Innovation presented by "Royalty".
Beat that!

Thanks for the answer - it just looked so easy!

Cycling Proficiency Test 1954? The only award I've ever won.

Got lots of silver (and ceramic) for racing boats and cars though...

No, you're right - you win...:thumbsup:

The doors have a really solid feel to them and I particularly like the way he has done the hinge pins.

Body looks great, nice sharp edges to all returns. moulds must be fresh of a recently gapped body?. That is some of the nicest looking stuff I have seen. some of the other body's seem to end up with quite large radius's in the crevices and joints, as well as a bit rubbish around the trim lines, must have a decent return on the mould so that Lee is able to lay up well past where it needs to be trimmed. I would be very happy if that was mine.

any chance we can get a photo of the inside of the door where the hinge plate is?

Regards Ryan

NickD

Supporter
I did my chassis the same way, it was supported on a very "flat" thick piece of Marine Ply supported on a custom Steel platform. Also, great use was made of 90 degree Set Squares and Combination (variable Angle) Set Squares.

With the use of Clamps where required and plenty of measuring, I'm pretty sure my Chassis is as square and true as it needs to be :thumbsup:

Body looks great, nice sharp edges to all returns. moulds must be fresh of a recently gapped body?. That is some of the nicest looking stuff I have seen. some of the other body's seem to end up with quite large radius's in the crevices and joints, as well as a bit rubbish around the trim lines, must have a decent return on the mould so that Lee is able to lay up well past where it needs to be trimmed. I would be very happy if that was mine.

any chance we can get a photo of the inside of the door where the hinge plate is?

Regards Ryan

Hi Ryan.
No it's not off a gapped body.
All panels are straight out of the moulds and trimmed, by Lee of course.
The moulds have been around for some time but they are of very high quality, well maintained and all fully supported on steel frames.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 660
Sorry it upside down.
The door box is just balanced in place
The final fit will be better.
Lee took the time to explain things like how to screw this on from the inside edge so you don't need to have screws showing from the outside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 623
Hinge pin assembly to be bonded inside a door.
Wish I had turned the camera around and taken some pictures of Lee's workshop while I was there.
It's resting on the inside of a part made door panel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 502
I was told I would have to do the final trim on this hatch panel.
Not by much though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 588
This area is typical of the care taken on bits you hardly even see when the car is finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 615
Ok final one.
I havn't shown the sills but they are just as good as the rest and finished inside with the same black surface.
Lee has promised that if the panels are all carefully aligned there will be an absolute minimum of correction or filler needed on them to make the panels fit.
There are lots of his bodies out there so others could confirm if this is correct or not.
I am inclined to believe him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 577
Hi Ryan.
No it's not off a gapped body.
All panels are straight out of the moulds and trimmed, by Lee of course.
The moulds have been around for some time but they are of very high quality, well maintained and all fully supported on steel frames.

Sorry probably misread your post.
Yes I am sure they were taken from a nicely gapped body but the amazing thing is that it was many years ago.
I think the secret is in the fact that the moulds were so well made in the first place off, as you say, a very well gapped body and they have been properley maintained.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Lee is quite correct in what he says. When we fitted one of his ( very good quality) bodies to Martin's car the gaps were really good once everything was correctly located.
We found that the trick was to firmly bolt down the spider and then set the front and rear clips to it. Then check how the body sits in relation to the wheels by dropping verticals using a plumb line down from the wheel arches to ensure that the body is centred front and rear. If there is an offset in either of the clips then unbolt the relevant part of the spider, reposition and rebolt by slightly slotting the bolt holes. Then reattach the front and rear clips and chec again for correct centring. The body needs to be firmly bolted down as it will move enough using clamps and drive you nuts.
The wheels and suspension arms must be set up equally in reference to the chassis centreline before doing this as you are using them as exact reference points to set the f and r clips.
It is sometimes necessary to only move one point on the spider or one pair of points to get to the point where when the front and rear clip are set against the spider they are both centred on the front and rear axles.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike.
Yes I hear what you say I won't be permanently setting up anything on the body until the rolling chassis is complete.
As a scratch builder I just want to be able to modify the design and weld on the extra bits for this body.

Sorry for the lack of posts recently but have made some progress. Hopefully next week chassis will be outside and right way up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 783

NickD

Supporter
Good to see Bob, certainly taking shape.

I plan to really hit the work on mine during the next 10 weeks, bloody got to, my panels from Lee turn up mid September. Jayson's build is moving fast as is Andrews, so want to get a move on while weather is good.

Nick.

The wrist is just about bearing up Mike.
I used to have a pair of "Lazy Tongs".
Could do with them now.

Your build is looking good Nick.
I wonder who will be first of our group to get one of these on the road?

Back