Bobs GTD

Ha All,
I got the rest of my switches mounted in the dash, and finally the side windows are formed up and I was able to get one of them finished and installed on the car. More to come soon.
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0602.jpg
    DSCN0602.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCN0599.jpg
    DSCN0599.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCN0600.jpg
    DSCN0600.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 336
  • DSCN0601.jpg
    DSCN0601.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 360
I had a slow day yesterday so I was able to get the plumbing finished for the trans pump and cooler I can't wait to get this thing running!!
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0603.jpg
    DSCN0603.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 458
  • DSCN0604.jpg
    DSCN0604.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCN0605.jpg
    DSCN0605.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 489
Ha all,
Over the last couple of days I was able to get the carpeting installed in the car and today I bolted in the seat belts, that's it for now
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0606.jpg
    DSCN0606.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCN0607.jpg
    DSCN0607.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCN0608.jpg
    DSCN0608.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCN0610.jpg
    DSCN0610.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 440
Bob, with respect - do you really want your head/neck to be that close to that steel bracket holding the seat belt top mounting ? I think you might feel very uncomfortable in any front corner ot side impact accident, Frank

Ha Frank funny you should mention that because originally when I built them they were about 5 1/2" long so I mounted the seat put the belt on and looked over my shoulder and said OMG that looks like it could do some damage to the old melon so I shortened them 3" now they are behind the seat in the farthest position back as the attached pictures show, I think that should work. It's so nice that you are looking out for my best interest Frank keep it up.
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0614.jpg
    DSCN0614.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCN0615.jpg
    DSCN0615.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 333
Bob, see the attached pics of a GTD post accident, things move about a lot, and your eggshell head is the softest thing in there ! I have lost a good friend killed last year because of head injury in a car, and visited another guy who was VERY lucky to get out of this car alive. If you have any steelwork inside the cockpit, think very hard about whos safety it is there for, it may not be yours. Regard, Frank

Attachments

• DSCF0413.JPG
    DSCF0413.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCF0431.JPG
    DSCF0431.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF0433.JPG
    DSCF0433.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF0430.JPG
    DSCF0430.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 419
Good point Frank.

That is why I shudder every time I see someone "reinforce' the sill tops on a spaceframe.

The additional steel may get pushed right into the cabin and into the drivers ribcage.

:stunned:

Frank,

do you have any details about the crash ? How fast, what did the car hit and so on ....? Also I am curios to know if the cage was helpful in this accident or if it was a potentially dangerous ?

Cheers
(C)arlos

Bob, see the attached pics of a GTD post accident, things move about a lot, and your eggshell head is the softest thing in there ! I have lost a good friend killed last year because of head injury in a car, and visited another guy who was VERY lucky to get out of this car alive. If you have any steelwork inside the cockpit, think very hard about whos safety it is there for, it may not be yours. Regard, Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
Don't disagree with Franks concern on your upper seat belt mount position but I was wondering why you have that bracket there at all. The GTD has a top belt mounting hole in the right place built into the chassis. Threaded ready to go. Locate that, pop a little hole in your carpet and away you go.

Malcolm,
That would be great except that it's not there just like the ID number that was supposed to be stamped on my frame. Anyway I whipped
up some new brackets as the pics show what do you guys think?
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0616.jpg
    DSCN0616.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN0617.jpg
    DSCN0617.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 305
Bob, thats much better, but having said that I would only use a 5 or 6 point harness in a GT40 , as I would be worried about the adequacy of a lap and diagonal system in a car like the 40. Get more opinions, Frank

I agree with Frank using a 6point keeps the driver and the passenger where they should be during a hard rive...

Bob, thats much better, but having said that I would only use a 5 or 6 point harness in a GT40 , as I would be worried about the adequacy of a lap and diagonal system in a car like the 40. Get more opinions, Frank

Ok guys lets just remember that this is just a street car for the most part, and I can always add to make it a 4 or 6 point in the future. try getting in and out of a 4 point at the grocery store once
Thanks,
Bob

If you ride in a GT40 to the grocery store and you take care about "looking cool" while entering/leaving the car the sales lady must be very attractive :)

Back