Bonneville Speed Week 2022 is a wash out......

For some decades now I've wanted to attend Bonneville Speed Week and enjoy the crazy and fun gear head goings on there.

This year (August 7-12th) my son and I decided to go, and have a fun father-son experience. Unfortunately, there was a big downpour on the Saturday preceding Speed Week. When we arrived on Sunday it was clear there wouldn't be any racing. About 18 inches of water on the salt. Racers were packing up and leaving the pit area with trailers in tow, no doubt heading back the same way they had come. Plenty of license plates from Texan, Wisconsin, Nevada, California, etc.

I know this happens at Bonneville.....but really? Did it have to happen the one year we decide to finally show up?

We didn't get out on the salt because of the water. But the Suburban was pretty happy between 110-120mph on the way to Bonneville.

Neil

Supporter
For some decades now I've wanted to attend Bonneville Speed Week and enjoy the crazy and fun gear head goings on there.

This year (August 7-12th) my son and I decided to go, and have a fun father-son experience. Unfortunately, there was a big downpour on the Saturday preceding Speed Week. When we arrived on Sunday it was clear there wouldn't be any racing. About 18 inches of water on the salt. Racers were packing up and leaving the pit area with trailers in tow, no doubt heading back the same way they had come. Plenty of license plates from Texan, Wisconsin, Nevada, California, etc.

I know this happens at Bonneville.....but really? Did it have to happen the one year we decide to finally show up?

We didn't get out on the salt because of the water. But the Suburban was pretty happy between 110-120mph on the way to Bonneville.

Be glad you had not brought your car or motorcycle all the way from Australia or NZ. It's always disappointing when this happens. BTW, the Utah Highway Patrol loves to catch Suburbans going that fast.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have a friend that drove their yellow 32 Ford Coupe all the way from South Carolina to support the Rolling Bones car…. Long drive is a hot rod….

Randy - wow, that's a long haul in a hot rod. That's a good friend. I hope they didn't drive it through the salt brine on the way to/from the pits from where the road went under water...about 4 miles or so of 12 inches of salty brine/water.

Neil - I'm sure you're right about the State troopers. Weirdly, we didn't see one within 100 miles of Bonneville. It's really out in the middle of nowhere. Surprising how stable and happy the Suburban was at 110-120mph. After a while it seemed like 60!

Back