Bought a Porsche 930. info / advice required..

Hi All,

Just picked up a Porsche 930 transaxle with LSD, the numbers on it are 930 301 101 OR these are on the bell housing.

1. The end casing / cover has a weld repair which has distorted the machined surface so I suspect it will leak.

Could I have the cover machined flat and make a spacer the thickness of the material removed or just renew the cover, if they are available?

2. The gear selector shaft which runs front to back is missing are they available.?

3. Top plate is also missing, available..?

4. Where to obtain the above, 2nd hand prefered..?!

5. Who in the UK is recommended to overhaul / check it over.?

6. Are there any rebuild / overhaul manual available..?

It was cheap, but so is my whole build.... Yeah, right who am I kidding...?

Thanks

Dave..

Dave,
My only suggestion is to get the trans to a reputable shop for a look at and overhaul if it is in salvagable condition. Trans out of wrecks may have hidden fractures or parts missing from scavengers. It will cost you a minimum of $3K US to rebuild it if everything is there. You may want to reconsider, as the parts you can see missing will run that up higher and the welding on the end cover suggest a heavy collision. If the case is distorted, it suggest a poor repair and that means the internals may be misaligned, which would spell disaster if ever used. Sorry to rain on your parade!!

Bill

I had my 930 trans from John Wisher. He had it fully reconditioned for a reasonable price before I bought it. Not sure he is on this forum but I probably have the receipts somewhere from the garage that did the work if you're interested.

Martin

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, should have mentioned that it was all up and running behind a CHEVY, (does this get me band!) in a grass track racer. So I believe it to be worth a go at getting it back up on it's toes..

The reason the parts are missing is they had a gear change direct into the top of the trans..

Looks good from what I can see and feels tight with no backlash..

Martin,

Phone number would be a great help..

Many thanks

Dave, I had a 930 transaxle I purchased very inexpensively (less than $2,000) a few years back. It was a bit grubby but seemed to shift fine and didn't have any major leaks. I should have just bolted it up and gone with it.

Instead, I took it to a reputable shop for a "look over" - a shop which is sometimes mentioned on this site. They ended up taking two months to "look it over" and didn't do much more than replace some input/output seals, (which weren't leaking anyway) and one or two other very minor (and frankly, not essential) things. The bill for this mucking about was $2,500. Lots of "checking" and "measuring" but basically a total waste of time and money with very little actually done to improve the thing. I could have replaced the seals and various bits in an afternoon myself with about $200 in parts costs.

Some folks would say it's not wise to just bolt it up and go (and there's some good logic to that). But there's also some appeal to doing exactly that if you happen to be on a budget and don't want to potentially waste a bunch of money on an expert who will essentially just tell you everything is OK.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, should have mentioned that it was all up and running behind a CHEVY, (does this get me band!) in a grass track racer. So I believe it to be worth a go at getting it back up on it's toes..

The reason the parts are missing is they had a gear change direct into the top of the trans..

Looks good from what I can see and feels tight with no backlash..

Martin,

Phone number would be a great help..

Many thanks

I think the sheer awesumness of the Chevy scared the hell out of the gearbox, and a few parts ran away scared
:)

Dave
I can let you have John Wishers details or get the info you need from him. Drop me a private message with a number and we can have a chat. I looked at the same box on eBay I think.

Regards Martin (GT Transmissions)

Dave,

Here are the details of the companies used by John before I bought the box plus a pic of the shaft assemblies.

Cheers,
Martin

Attachments

• IMG00083-20091208-1124 [640x480].jpg
    IMG00083-20091208-1124 [640x480].jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG00085-20091208-1125 [640x480].jpg
    IMG00085-20091208-1125 [640x480].jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG00086-20091208-1125 [640x480].jpg
    IMG00086-20091208-1125 [640x480].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 288
Hi Guys,

Running a Chevy by any chance Bruce....??

Martin,

Thanks for the contact numbers, I think I need a plain gear selector shaft, one without any gears on unlike in your photos.

If anyone has a exploded parts list for these transaxles, I feel I could id it...!?

Hi Cliff,

My train of thought too, if it's not broke don't try and fix it, a gamble I know.

Thanks to all..

Dave.

Dave, would you have any pictures of this "top shift" conversion that the previous owner had?? Sounds interesting..........

Hi Dave,

It was very make shift and he only ran it as a three speed, I'll will take some pictures, as it might be another way of tackeling the gear change set up...

Regards

Dave..

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Could I have the cover machined flat and make a spacer the thickness of the material removed or just renew the cover, if they are available?

2. The gear selector shaft which runs front to back is missing are they available.?

3. Top plate is also missing, available..?

Dave..

Dave, no reason why you couldn't just machine it flat. After machining check that it seats properly on the gearcase and is not held out by anything like the reverse gear pin or touching one of the shaft nuts and you'll be right. If it won't sit up flush, a piece of thick gasket paper may be all that's required to regain clearance, or grind off the end of the pin

Seems to be some confusion about what you require. Your desciption above is quite straight forward and clear. I've got a spare trans, I'll pull the bits off it and post photos of them so you can see what they look like. Got to head off to work now, will post the photos tonight for you.

BTW. I agree with the run it and see approach.

Good luck,

Russ

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Here's what the bits you are missing look like.

Attachments

• shifter 1002.JPG
    shifter 1002.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 237
  • shifter 1005.JPG
    shifter 1005.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 236
  • shifter 1004.JPG
    shifter 1004.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 237
I agree with Cliff and Russ about run the transaxle as is and see.

Back in the 1980's I was at Bob Norwood's Ferrari shop in Dallas, looking at one of his tube frame P4 replicas. It ran a 365 V12 thru an inverted G50 transaxle. Bob said he always installed the used Porsche transaxles just the way he received them and never had any problems.

I've followed Bob's advice since that time. I've had to have some transaxle work done, but not often. And I've saved a lot of money over the years on my projects doing it this way.

Jack

Hi Russ, many thanks for taking the time to to strip down and photograph the parts, you are spot on these are exactly whats missing.

Would anyone know their part numbers...?

I would prefer 2nd hand, any suggestions on a supplier..?

Jack,

This is the way I'm going to go, bolt it in and fingers crossed. I'm sure I'll be building my car and stripping it back down over and over again...

Thanks to all.

Dave..

Dave, would you have any pictures of this "top shift" conversion that the previous owner had?? Sounds interesting..........

Here you go Dave, told you it was a little make shift to say the least..

Attachments

• 930 030.jpg
    930 030.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 930 028.jpg
    930 028.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 930 031.jpg
    930 031.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 321
Back