Brake reservoir size

Hi

RCR GT40 build is progressing well, when I figure out how to downsize pics I will post some details. In the meantime I am working out precise location and fit of remote reservoirs. Trawling through the site they seem to come in a variety of shapes and sizes. So am I right in calculating a safe minimum capacity of reservoir as:

Total area of piston per caliper (Wilwood 6 pot F 4 pot rear) times (say) 3/8" (10mm) of pad wear times 2 (2 calipers), this will give total volume of extra fluid required? Done the same calculation seperately for front and rear to allow for two reservoirs. Whilst I check fluid levels frequently this seemed a good way to safely determine size.

The answers in ccm were

F 51.90
R 67.02

One of the reasons for asking is that I found these stunning little beauties Rizoma 'large' size fluid reservoir which have a capacity of 84.46ccm and I wanted to be sure they were OK

Thanks in eager anticipation

John

Hi John,
Try Car Builder Soloutions. they do a range of reservoirs with level switches. I used a twin outlet reservior with switch for my RF as the standard RF item didnt have a switch. The capacity of it is around twice the size of the origional RF item.
Jerry

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Most regs require a minimum of 20% greater volume than the volume of full stroke of all pistons from new to worn pads (to metal). It is also better to have small diameter as surface are is less and hence less moisture absorbtion

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I used some nice ones from CNC (look at somewhat stale my build thread) Here is the link. I don't know if they can be used with a level sensor, but they fit nicely in the RCR.

Sandy

Attachments

• CNCMasters.jpg
    CNCMasters.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 255

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
If you can afford the billet tilton's you should get the matching resevior, it is really nice :thumbsup:. I have a set of the steel tiltons pedals, but decided that was good enough for the likes of me ;-)

I forget all the crazy rules that have to be followed for approval which seems like a pain but I guess better safe the sorry.

Sandy

Sandy

Now I'm retired I tend to think differently about how I spend the kids inheritance, something along the lines of "do it now 'cause then your dead" just about sums it up. Hence the Tilton 900s which look even better in the metal than in the pics. I would be prepared to re-think only my religious friends have assured me that I can't take the 40 with me.:angel:

Growin' old disgracefully

John

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I often wonder how my kids are going to college as they are now 5 and 13 and I still have a car problem ;)

I would have bought the 900 pedals, but what ultimatly killed them for me was the cost of the masters. Just had to draw the line somewhere...

The billet stuff they make is nice, but just cRaZy priced. Not really sure why, but I guess the Tilton's must also have kids that need College money for Private school :laugh:

Get some shots when your all installed!

Sandy

Sandy

In the end I couldn't resist the CNC 1483's so the Girling will be binned. I will use the level senser from it and buy another senser for the F & R chambers.

More work, but as you say they do look good.

Best

John

possibly daft question, but what is the issue with sva ?

Does this mean you have to have a warning light for each reservoir sensor, or a buzzer, or what ?
I've not managed to trace this requirement, so sorry if it really is a daft question.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
John

At SVA you have to have a system in place that will give a warning should the fluid level fall.

Typically a light activated by a float in the chamber.

Also don't forget you have to be able to test the warning light - normally done by the handbrake activation light - but can also be done by a simple press button on the dash.

Ian

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
John -

It is a sickness! The do look in place in the RCR tub, just rig up the low level lights and your good to go. You might also check with them (CNC)they may have other lids for the masters that might make fabrication of something easier too.

Sandy

Sandy

Thanks. Could you post dimensions for the CNC triple (1483) so I can engineer the fit (width, width including mounting bracket, height and depth)?

Many thanks

John

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I can, might be this weekend. Hit me up with a message if I forget. One thing I hate about CNC Inc. is they don't have nice engineering plans like Tilton. If you look at my build thread I think you can get a very general idea on the size. I'll get more details for ya' in anycase.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
John -

The dimensions are as follows:

Length across all 3 reservoirs are 7"
The Mounting flange will extend .5" from each side behind the tanks, and is welded across the back of all with with a plate.

The Height as measured from the top of the filler caps to the bottom of the reservoirs are 4" but some room for the bottom mount 1/8" pipe must be accounted for.

The total depth is about 3.875" from the front of the unit to the back of the mounting plate.

So account for a box about 8"x3.875"x4" again, not counting any bottom fitting.

Hope this makes sense. Also just to be clear while they are made by CNC, they are really just cast aluminum if the picture doesn't show it well.

Sandy

Back