Build Diary - RCR Lola T70 Spider

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks Jim and we're still sorting. I did drive it to work today though. We're aiming for at least 250 trouble free miles before the next track outing. Tomorrow I'm driving down to car show at a historical race track. The show is supposed to be focused on race cars (obviously roundy round where I live) but one of the organizers is a friend of mine and said a road car would be welcome.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
I put about 120 miles on the car yesterday driving to and from the race car show I mentioned in the Race Track subforum. I didn't have any problems until I stopped at my sister's house where the kids took turns having a sit for a photo. Seems that when climbing in someone accidentally broke the "On" switch off and I had to hot wire the switch to get home. Other than that there were no issues and the car ran fine, although the driver was sunburned to a crisp by the end of the day.

We do have a short list of things to do before the track on the 17th of September:

• Another alignment W/B & chassis setup session. Based on tire temps we need to remove camber from all four corners.
  • Installation of new carb, already in progress
  • Grip tape for floor
  • Evaluate what to do with the seat to increase driver comfort
  • Re-install of electric fan on oil cooler
  • Replacement of "On" switch
  • Installation of rear deck lid heat "Le Mans" panel for heat relief
  • Installation of DR COOL, the "iceless" driver cooler system that we're developing and shown below
Should be doable before the test day.

Attachments

• DRCOOL.JPG
    DRCOOL.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 299
Super Ron. Don't feel too bad about the switch. Last week the grandkids decided to make a tent (I wasn't home at the time) with several yards of some carbon fiber twill fabric that evidently I had not secured properly, it rained! They thought a black tent was a good idea. Expensive tent for sure!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
.... the kids took turns having a sit for a photo. Seems that when climbing in someone accidentally broke the "On" switch off.

Roll bar meets SCCA specs..... check
Dual redundant ignition system.... check
Dual fire system.... check
Fully licensed and meets all state motor vehicle codes .... check
Will blow the doors off anything else in its class.... check
Ready for 12-hour endurance race..... check
Accurate replica of mid-60s race car .... check
Child-proof..... check.

I love it. All the consideration of all the exotic technical details for speed and durability and safety, then it gets disabled by kids breaking the ON switch. Apologies for rubbing it in Ron; just makes me laugh as this always happens to me.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Super Ron. Don't feel too bad about the switch. Last week the grandkids decided to make a tent (I wasn't home at the time) with several yards of some carbon fiber twill fabric that evidently I had not secured properly, it rained! They thought a black tent was a good idea. Expensive tent for sure!

Now that's a story!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I love it. All the consideration of all the exotic technical details for speed and durability and safety, then it gets disabled by kids breaking the ON switch. Apologies for rubbing it in Ron; just makes me laugh as this always happens to me.

I own a waterproof box called a "Pelican Box"....the warranty states quite clearly that it is warranted against shark attack and wild bears, but not against children under 8 years of age :laugh: .

Cheers from Doug!

Ron Earp

Admin
Off to the dyno today, any guess on rear wheel hp as measured on a Dynojet?

Specs:

• 10:1 compression
  • Edelbrock Performer heads, old style with 1.90" intakes, as cast
  • Edelbrock Air Gap manifold
  • 575 Demon mechanical carb

Ron, I think I missed the mark by a lot. rethinking, I misread the carb. 575 CFM and I was thinking 675. Don't know which cam you're using. I'm revising to 310HP/280T at the flywheel. We'll see...

Ron Earp

Admin
Oh! Forgot to put the cam down, the most important piece. Stock Mustang GT cam, 1.6 RRs. I can't remember the specs exactly but the cam lift is under 0.500" at the lobe, probably in the high 0.3" to low 0.4" range. You'll probably have to revise again....

Okay, so now you're likely in the ball park with your estimates. When will you dyno the engine? 1.90 intakes may limit above 5500-6000RPM

Howard Jones

Supporter
My guess is..........................254HP at the wheels.

Mine. 302 roller cam 9.5 to 1 motor with the "B" FMS cam, X FMS 1.94 intake valves, Comp springs, pocket port job alum heads, and a 750 DP on a edelbrock RPM performer intake makes 297Hp/5600RPMs at the wheels.

My cam is worth about 30 HP and yours heads are better.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Good one Pat - right on!!!

247 hp, 278 tq

at the wheels. I'll get dyno plots up in a bit. Started out at 225hp but we were way lean. After three rounds of jetting we ended up with just shy of 250hp at 5400 RPM and the power hangs on out to 6000 RPM, but does not increase.

I'm pretty pleased. It is a bit more hp than we wanted, but not much more, and if we want a lot more we can cam and intake it for probably 50-75 more.

R

Back