C6FE Heads - Information Required

Actual part# of those heads would have been C50Z-6049-B to early '67', then C7ZZ-6049-B for latter part of '67'..( 289 Hi-Po heads), but you probably already knew that.

Cheers Jac Mac

On C6FE head,head bolts holes are 7/16 only or 1/2 ?

Bernie

On C6FE head,head bolts holes are 7/16 only or 1/2 ?

Bernie

Im fairly sure that all this stuff is/was 7/16", the 'thought' of going to 1/2" arose after 1969 when the 351w bolts made it easy. Even original Boss 302 was 7/16" bolts. Engine bay shots of 'original' Daytona coupes tend to support this, but I have a 'modern day' pic of one of the Coupes at Goodwood in a dismantled state that while still retaining the 'original' non roller rockers has been upgraded with ARP 12 point head studs & nuts .

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Here you go Jac

Attachments

• C6FE ENGINE 002.jpg
    C6FE ENGINE 002.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 715
Dredging this up from the dark deeps!!!!

After looking at pic in post #23, I only wonder more..........

That pic appears to be a C6FE-xxx-A casting. It also appears to have regular spring mounting areas, ie not HIPO 289 style.

I JUST got a ping from a guy in Europe about his 289 in a mid-prod Mangusta. This is the first 289 that I have heard of....or perhaps "almost seen" in a Goose.

Block is a C5AE-E casting and I have yet to hear if it has monster main caps ala hipo 289.........and I want the date code off the block. (His Goose was produced in mid 69....)

Heads: C6FE-A castings, WITH hipo spring pockets! What gets more interesting is the numbers stamped in the valve cover gasket surface above each port.....3 digit numbers suggesting porting and flowing efforts!!!

There are no pushrod guide plates, slots in heads. Screw in studs. Pretty beefy looking springs with orange paint. There could be an inner damper spring...hard to tell from the pics.

So I guess what I am getting at here, is looking at the pic in #23 and what I am seeing, would suggest that Ford was Ford and made copies of the heads with and without the valve spring pocket provisions......

Your mileage may vary!!!

Steve

Attachments

• C6FE-A head-small.jpg
    C6FE-A head-small.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 509
Yes there is an inner 'flat' damper in that spring package, the spring retainers are non-standard going by the amount the keepers are sitting 'down' in the retainer. Earlier discussions on this thread and others by Jay Cushman revealed that casting numbers did not necessarily reflect the actual time of manufacture when it came to ford revising casting patterns etc to allow larger port areas, hence the crossover to the 'Hi Po' spring pockets not necessarily being a true indicator of correct C6FE-A heads.

BTW, kudos for reading & searching for info, a talent sadly lacking in from some of the newer forum members..:)

hi probably a silly question but does anyone out there have a spear C6FE 6090-A head they want to sell i have one and looking another to go on my hipo .any help would be much appreciated. thanks Ross

Back