C8 VETTE

I know it due to launch latter today, anyone know if its likely to have a manual transmission option
and if the transaxle will work for the GT40? C8 Corvette

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Just read article by J.P. Huffman...July 19, 2019 Car and Driver:

• There is no manual transmission—not even as an option—and a 6.2-liter V-8 "LT2" engine will be standard on the base Stingray model.

Eric B

Eric
Pay $80K for a GT500, or $60K for a C8 Corvette?

I am a Ford fan, and while I personally would not buy a Corvette, there are a lot of non-brand specific buyers that will be looking hard at saving $10-20k

E

I wish Ford would build a version of the mid-engine GT at a comparable price. It wouldn't have to be a twin turbo just have some decent performance.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm heading to Les Stanford Chevy in Dearborn, Agugust20, and 21st. Planning on a Z06 version, or the rumored 1000hp AWD Zora in 2022, or 2023. A buddies brother is testing the Z06 version at the Milford test track daily. He loves it, and says it's FAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
At a rumored 60k USD entry point, I think more than Ford is sweating blood over the release of this car. At that price, almost every Replicar manufacturer is going to lose sales to those that just want the mid-engine supercar experience and not necessarily that of a GT40.
Pretty darned hard to ignore factory quality, fit-finish and warranty in a turn key package for far less than your average component based kit.

Joel K

Supporter
I think to some extend that logic holds, however FF sells a couple thousand Cobra kits a year and the Miata and similar cars have been on the market for many years. Also, if you want a mid engine sport car you could get a used Ferrari or McLaren for a small premium over building a component car.

As we all can relate to, the kit car hobby appeals to a special segment of individuals who have a desire to build it vs. buy it. Front engine, mid engine, replica etc.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Joel, to some extent, I agree. I have been thinking about a new McLaren 720 for some time. There is a huge amount of negative press out there about people having their new cars sitting at a dealership waiting months for parts. A used exotic would be a nightmare for me I think. I’m going to guess the closest Ferrari or McLaren dealership is a couple hundred miles from me. I live in the middle of BFE.
I do agree, that people who are building these component cars are doing it so it can be their’s built the way they want it done. And a great bunch of innovative people they are. The car manufacturers have to make compromises so thousands of people like whatever they design for the masses . Thankfully the aftermarket makes parts so we can still individualize our cars.

Regards Brian

Howard Jones

Supporter
I will be shocked if ANY C8 corvettes actually are sold for under $60K. Here's my bet. The average out the door price for the standard C8 will be in the 80K range and the ZO6 type will be much closer to a 100 if not more than that.

I bought a Cayman S to just go for a nice comfortable drive in. It didn't replace the build it yourself hobby for me and I don't think the self builder types will be interested in a C8 or any other checkbook car as a replacement for their hobby. People don't spend 5 years building a car because they simply want one. They build one because they want to build one.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Howard is right. VERY VERY few will see the 60,000.00 mark. I'm on the MECF site, and I only see about 3 people talking about ordering ZERO options. I believe a Z51 with a few options coming in at about 80. I can easily see a Z06 running 115. The night of the reveal, I went on GM's site and built a 2019 FE ZR1. Well optioned, this came in at 148+. I still think the 1000ho AWD version will be at 185-200K. I know I don't need it or will be able to use it, but will buy it because it will be my last vette.

Regards Brian

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
... I still think the 1000ho AWD version will be at 185-200K. I know I don't need it or will be able to use it, but will buy it because it will be my last vette.

'EXACTLY where I stand on it...if I'm still alive when it's actually made available.

Last edited:
I think to some extend that logic holds, however FF sells a couple thousand Cobra kits a year and the Miata and similar cars have been on the market for many years. Also, if you want a mid engine sport car you could get a used Ferrari or McLaren for a small premium over building a component car.

As we all can relate to, the kit car hobby appeals to a special segment of individuals who have a desire to build it vs. buy it. Front engine, mid engine, replica etc.
I'm a big fan of "I built it", but for many people a kit car is a way to get car that they couldn't otherwise afford, especially in a mid engined car - until now. I don't believe many C8s will go out the door for $60K, but if they do - if someone cares about actual performance instead of image, the days of the $150,000 911 are numbered. But then, Porsche can put a real engine in the Boxster/Cayman anytime they want. They don't want to cannibalize their "rear engine" sales. If the C8 forces them to get serious about this, it could get interesting. A boxster with 400 HP would be a very good thing, but still likely twice the price of the C8.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Well today, I put a deposit on the rumored 1000hp variant at Les Stanford Chevrolet in Dearborn. It’s release is expected in 2022, or 2023 model year. I am number 9 on that waiting list. After leaving Detroit tonight, I’m heading to Corvettes at Carlisle in Pennsylvania. Stanford’s had one on display today, and Carlisle will have six on display. The car is quite easy to get in and out of. I think GM has hit a home run with this one. This however is just my opinion, yours may vary.

Regards Brian

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...the rumored 1000hp variant...is expected in 2022, or 2023 model year.

Swell. If that actually turns out to be the case, I'll be 79...but, given the fact G.M. kept pushing back the launch date on the C8 itself for YEARS, I may be over 80 before that happens...if I'm still here.

'Sure glad I bought my Ford GT back in '06, otherwise I may never have OWNED a mid-engine car worth having the way things appear right now.

Did Stanford give you any idea at all what the car's "sticker" might be, Brian? I'd assume not since dealers always seem to be the LAST to know 'anything about anything', but, 'thought I'd ask anyway...

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Larry, I did inquire. He said that because he thought it would be a limited number run, his guess was North of my estimated figure above. I’m still hoping 200 or below, but time will tell.

Regards Brian

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I’m still hoping 200 or below, but time will tell.

Regards Brian

$200K is about where logic has always told me it will be...especially BASED ON the sticker price of the "base" car.

Stanford's guess probably factored in the "premium" he intends to charge! ;)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Stanford’s are selling at MSRP, with NO GOUGING!!

Really????? I hope he has a healthy allotment!!!

Please P.M. me with what they want for a deposit. Since it's going to be darned near forever before a T.T. car can be ORDERED let alone delivered, I don't want to, in affect, float a dealer an interest-free loan equal to 1/2 the value of my house for that length of time. I'm too cheap.

(The dealer I've been signed up with since 2014 will be demanding an ADM.)

Thanks -

Back