Can someone with limited mechanical skills live with a GT40?

Hi everybody!

My first post here since lurking anonymously on this superb web site!

I have just recently left the Lotus camp after having owned a number of Lotus sports cars over the years. For all servicing and maintenance of these vehicles I trusted my cars to the experts, as my mechanical abilities are not that great...

However, I am now very seriously considering the possiblity of looking for a decent GT40 replica to own and enjoy.

Could any existing owners please advise me as to whether a well built and well looked after GT40 replica would be appropriate for somebody in my situation. Or, do such cars regardless of build quality, always demand constant mechanical attention, putting them beyond the reach of anybody lacking the required technical skills?

I would really appreciate reading owner's opinions on this matter.

Thank you.

Ron Earp

Admin
As a former Lotus Esprit owner and current Jensen Healey racer (Lotus engine), a GT40 is much easier to take care for with the Ford V8 and Renault (that you probably had in your Esprit as well)/Audi/Porsche/ZF transaxle. I'll leave it to others for details, but welcome and I can assure you that it'll be easier.

Ron

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would say that if you have an interest in learning a new hobbie then you will be OK. These cars are seldom the the sole means of transportation and theirfor you can take your time and enjoy learning new skills. Everything you need to know that would be decribed as special skills is in books on racecar design. Many of these are some of the most interesting I've ever read.

But in general if you have the buget to buy one of the current builders cars, RF, ERA, CAV and others then you will not run into any design problems that would require reengineering anything. Otherwise a Ford V8 with a 4 barrel on top is a very simple thing in todays electronic world. You can put one of these cars together with NO electronics if you want to. Simple brake systems(no antilock), manual gearbox(no electronic controled automatic), and straightforward electrical systems(no computers). Simple cars from a technological point of view really.

If you take your time and visit some of the owners on this forum look at their cars and learn as much as you can about the different design of the different builders in a few months you will be able to make a decision on which one is for you. You will need a complete set of hand tools but you don't need a complete race shop. A two car garage will do fine and many of us on this forum have done them in a 1 horse stall. You will not need a welder of machine tools either if you decide to assemble your own car.

Have fun, you can begin you hobby with your first post today. The research can be a lot of fun and you will meet some of the nicest people you ever have and make many new friends in the process.

Ditto.

My .02 cents....for a street car, stay with a mild motor with single 4 bbl. Multiple carbs look way cool...but require more maintenance. Several GT40 owners use EFI,
which is also way cool...but way complicated vs a carbie.
Unless your heart is set on EFI, for a beginner I'd stick
with the tried and true 4 barrel.

MikeD

Thankyou gentlement for your replies to my question. Your comments are definitely encouraging and appreciated.

I guess I'm just wary of getting 'out of my depth', particularly after having owned a rather unreliable Esprit Turbo, which spent too much of its time under my ownership being worked on by my mechanic..

I always imagined the Ford V8 to be a far more robust unit than the Lotus 900 series engines. And, as it's a 'street car' I'll be looking for, an 'unstressed' setup using a 4 barrel carb would be fine for my needs. This goes along with what you are recommending.

Thanks again.

Darren,
I agree with everything said so far. If you buy a car that has been well put together and keep an eye on its essential fluids etc, a GT40 should pose very few problems.
However, a few points to be aware of:
1. In their current state, you can't tie a tow rope onto a convenient strong point to tow them home. What's strong can't be accessed without causing bodywork damage while towing and what's accessible isn't strong enough to tow from. (This is a generalisation as it is possible to create strong towing points, but on the whole, by and large. . . .)
2. Most owners either have an insurance policy which includes get-you-home cover of some sort or take out an RAC policiy which achieves the same thing.
3. The GT40 clubs in UK are very active, so someone knows someone else who knows how to fix a problem. You probably live close enough to one of the regional groups to be able to go to monthly meetings, where you can air problems and seek solutions. Look up the GT40 Enthusiasts Club site for details.
Nearly 40 cars drove to the Le Mans Classic last year, with very few mechanical problems, all of which were sorted en route.

Re: Can someone with limited mechanical skills live with a G

Reading between the lines, I think Darren would prefer to have all the work performed by a professional (correct me if I am wrong Darren). If that is the case, then I don't think that you would have a problem. It may be a matter of finding a mechanic who is maybe a half a notch up from the bottom runs in the competence stakes, but there are lots of reputable mechanics around taking care of customized cars and street racers etc. You just have to look for them. I suspect that a common scenario might be that the mechanic would need to charge for some extra time to do his initial homework, but that will probably be more than balanced by the simplicity of the work that will need to be performed (compared to a Lotus). The worst case scenario (although probably rare) might be a component failure that is no longer available over the counter, but again, a good mechanic should be able to solve that too, and for that matter, no different to owning any old classic.

Sure... If it's a well done completed car you buy, then yes. If you are obsessive-compulsive, it's best to have deep pockets if you posess limited mechnical skills with this car....

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Darren, meet Frank Catt. Frank, meet Darren Mawbey; he'd like to have a GT40.

If you were here in the US, I'd be giving you a call myself to help you get to where you want to be. Since you are on the otherside of the pond, I can't think of better person for you to get to know than Frank.

Regards and keep us posted,
Lynn

Back